Universal Bean's Quest (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I've always loved platform games, and there have been some great ones on iOS - I must have played dozens. This game however is one of my firm favourites. The continual jumping mechanic (as in Doodle Jump) works so well, and makes controlling the character both easy and a fantastic challenge. Everything in the game fits together so well - I have to say the game is IMHO on a par with many classic Nintendo & Sega platformers. I can't understand why I've only just heard of the game when it came out in July though...

2. Mr Kumobius

Mr Kumobius Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

#222 Mr Kumobius, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    Hey Prhaber, we were big fans of Nintendo and Sega when we were younger. So it's really flattering to hear your comments. It always delights us to read customer reviews on the App Store describing it as a modern Mario or Sonic.

Our artist was definitely influenced by Sonic and it shows in the Sky Ruins world with the checkered art styles of the background blocks and the background bush artwork I think!

To answer your question as to why you only just heard about the game: we launched with a small number of stages initially. High quality stages for sure, but a lot of people were disappointed with the game length. It was great to see here on Touch Arcade, lots of buyers of the game still raving about that level of quality they could see in what we'd produced. Now of course we have 50 stages in the game, all unique, and every world with new features, enemies, artwork and music.

The final boss is especially retro, with different rooms you fight him in as he runs away from you. I remember one of the beta testers describing the boss as: "feeling like everything in the game was leading up to it". That was pretty awesome to hear.

Anyway, I'm really glad to hear you're now discovering the game and loving it - tell your friends! :)

3. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Had a long train run and was finally able to finishing the game (not completely, just reached and killed the end boss, haven't collected everything yet). It's simply perfect. To me, an iOS classic and now by far the very best platformer in the store. It's getting damn challenging but it's always fair and always doable. The last world was sick. And the boss fight, pure awesomeness!

LOVE LOVE LOVE this game. On par with the very big names like Sonic and Mario. Easily.

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Definitely have to agree! Bean's Quest is... easily... one of the best platformers, on ANY console, that I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

5. Thrak

Thrak Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    I really need to get around to playing this. It doesn't support iCloud, does it? And if not, does it play better on iPad or iPhone?

6. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I think almost all platformers play better on the iPhone...

Just my personal preference...

with games like this, where you just need to tap on the left or right side of the screen to move, it just might play better on an iPad... but all of the platformers I've played on my nephews iPad were pretty hard to play because of the button placement, and having to hold the iPad up... =o/

I'll be able to tell more on thursday when I get my iPad... =oP

7. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Has anyone come close to defeating Malmagoz with zero deaths? Making it without dying to the point where I can damage him is in good fortune for me lol At first I thought I could restart from checkpoints and still get no deaths, but was sadly mistaken =p

The trickiest part I think is the random enemy spawns which throw off the continuity of a preplanned jumping route, which you can usually acquire after trial and error in other platform games. That achievement is going to be a tall order!

8. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    No iCloud unfortunately. That would be really great for this game. I play on the iPad and find that the controls are just fine. I really dislike most platformers on iPad, but this has just two buttons, so no shifting thumbs and mispressing buttons.

9. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    On iPad, having to restart to try and meet an objective is a little awkward, but the gameplay itself is fine. The visuals, even though they probably aren't optimized or anything, look just marvelous on the bigger screen, and for that I play on the iPad. But for "finishing" the game, I play on the iPod.

A brilliant game I must say. Like a lot of players on this thread, I am a big platformer fan. I was one of the earlier skeptics when it came out with just 8 levels and held off buying the game. Bought it when they increased the levels to 24. This is seriously one of the best platformers out in the world. The detailing of the levels, the animations, the aesthetics, the sounds, the game play, the controls, the level design, everything is spot on. Respect.

10. Mr Kumobius

Mr Kumobius Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hey guys,

Firstly, Matt33, we've submitted an update to fix that diamond count in the final stage of world 5. It'll need to be approved though. Thanks again!

Secondly, we've decided to do a special price for the next 24 hours. We're dropping the price of the game to $0.99 to further celebrate the final version of the game and the fact we've been featured on the App Store again.

The sale will be kicking in soon so we thought we'd give you guys a heads up, just wait a little while and get the game at $0.99 very soon!

11. TheStark

TheStark Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Bought it, thanks! :D

12. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    The price has dropped officially for me. None of that "item is being modified" issue that seems to crop up. Thanks!

13. MrGreed

MrGreed Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    frustratingly imprecise controls

i played through 20 levels before giving up in frustration

problem is with the constant jumping idk what possible control scheme could be used to make this issue better.

oh well nice music and design just very tough and super precise jumping

14. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    No way, the controls are spot on! I guess, you just have a problem with the constant jumping that - of course - affects everything, the way how you have to play it. But it's never a matter of the controls, it's always the player.

15. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    yeah i think so too. controls are excellent

16. TheStark

TheStark Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    #236 TheStark, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
    Agreed, controls are perfect. This is simply one of the best platformers ever.

17. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    You need to get used to the floatiness and the gravity to get a grip on the controls. I got the hang of it trying to meet the par jump count in the first two levels. But if by 20 levels you haven't got the hang of it, oh well...

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I tried the lite version and really didn't like the way it controlled either. Definitely too floaty. Or something.

19. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    No regrets buying the game, but I'm also still trying to get used to the floaty controls too. This game just oozes charm. ;)

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I love the controls... and the physics... perfect.

=oD