Universal Bean's Quest (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

All that talking about the Game made me wana have it more then before. Ok i am jumping in and getting it. Expect a HD Gameplay Trailer as soon as i am back from the Restaurant.

I`ll make sure that i`ll upload this Time a Trailer of the iPhone Version too so you Guys can compare the Screensize.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    This looks very nice, but I guess I can hold off until new content shows up. It should be noted that classic Nintendo platformers (selling at full price) were often quite short -- you could finish the first GameBoy Kirby in about 30 minutes. We're kind of spoiled in this digital download age that we expect hours and hours of original gameplay for a buck.

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yup... but it's not really our fault...

we expect it because they've given it to us... =o)

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed. And I'm the same way -- not pointing any fingers here.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You know, I'm gonna take back what I said a second time. I'd rather take 8 insanely solid, well thought out, gorgeous levels that ooze old-school charm and replayability for $2.99 over 60 levels which are there just to be there. The devs are obviously very proud of their game and have every right to be...it's one of the best platformers on the app store.

6. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yeah, didn't think you were... just saying... =oP

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    and with all the talk... I"m really really really thinking of just buying it...

but I've been burned quite a bit by devs that 'promise' more levels in the future... even showing screens... Grokion is a very good example of this... promise after promise after promise... with nothing to show for it but a couple screens... =o/

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Free update coming next month!
    Over the next few months we’ll be extending the levels to
    24 in total. 100% free!

That says in their website! :)

9. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    See? I'm also still playing! :) Just got all crystals and all axolotls. The minimal jump challenge will be the hardest one now. Btw, I already asked for Game Center integration. Since this game is a lot about achievements, it would be definitely a plus.

10. jagi

jagi New Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Hello everybody, my name is James, the artist and game designer who worked on bean. We are a 3 man development team from Australia and we’re very passionate about making games!.

We were recently notified of the discussion happening on this forum and it is truly heartwarming to hear such praise for our game! It has been in development for a while now and we went through a lot of drafts and revisions to get the game how it is today.

We really didn't know what kind or how much feedback to expect, as this is our first game, but all your comments have been greatly appreciated and taken on board. based on this response we are going to bust our balls to finish world 2 ahead of schedule! it will feature a variety of new game mechanics, new enemies and a change of scenery! To the early adopters, thank you! and hang in there, we’ll get world 2 out ASAP but please understand that we are committed to making this game fun and rich with re playability!

Music is by Flashygoodness, an extremely talented musician who we contracted because we loved his work! Check out his website: http://flashygoodness.com/

in the meantime here's some utterly ridiculous promo art i made for the game! :) D

[​IMG]

11. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#51 Sanuku, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    Game Impressions

HD Gameplay Trailer (iPad 2):

HD Gameplay Trailer (iPhone):

Note:

Each HD Gameplay Trailer contains a few Minutes of Gameplay so you should know what you are getting.

--------------------------​

Now with that knowledge let`s ask the Question of the Day after i have spent the Money and played twice through the Game on different iDevices:

Was it worth the $2.99/€ 2.39/... or do i feel betrayed and did ask Apple for a refund?

First of all i wouldn`t have played it twice Times through if i by all appearances i had the feeling that the Developer were trying to betray me!

The Game is pretty much polished on every aspect i can imagine and is only leaking on two Parts on which the Developer is already working...

Story/More Worlds...

This said normally my Alarmbells should ring like Crazy and telling me that this is a Trap...

New Developer + Short Game were more Content is promised in the Future + High Price

Normally i would stay away from this Game as far as i can keep my Finger from the Buy Button on iTunes but in this Case something tells me that this Game will get in the upcoming Weeks/Months/... more Worlds and a Story were i won`t regret it that i had bought it on the first Day, even if the current Version on the Appstore could be also called a Lite Version.

So i take the Risk and say that this Game will reach two Goals in the near Future:

First One:

The upcoming new Worlds and the Story will kick my Jump'n'Run Ass Up and Down every Time a new World will get released by the Developer.

Second One:

This Game will reach 5/5 Stars on an touchArcade Review when the Full Version, not the Version that is currently on iTunes Store, will be reviewed.

I guess you Guys should already now know where i am leading with this All, so let`s get back to the first Question:

Was it worth the $2.99/€ 2.39/... or do i feel betrayed and did ask Apple for a refund?

While still being Work in Progress Bean's Quest has a Quality Level that some € 5/$ 5/... Games don`t have and even if the current Version could be also called a Lite/Demo/Tech Build/... i can already see the tip of the Quality Iceberg that Bean's Quest is made of and therefor i see the Money i have spent on it as a Pre-Order.

This Way i am supporting an upcoming Developer who is obviously capable of delivering a App with a Quality Level that some other Publisher/Developer who pays a Billion for some other Developer who make a Zombie Puzzle Game would wish he could do.

Bean's Quest - A Legend was born this Weekend, and i was there...

12. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Hey, welcome. Thanks for joining. And congrats, as the designer you did an outstanding job! And for the artwork: hahahaha, brilliant. So, it's kind of a Hulk bean? A Mexican guy that transformed to a bean (lol) to rescue his girl? THAT needs to be in-game. Some intro screens, a short comic. Because it's brilliant! :)

13. ldkaplan

ldkaplan Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    I agree. This looks like it has the closest feel to SMB that I've seen. I'll take a spin for $3. That's less than the cost of a good pint of beer.

I've typically been disappointed in platformers so I hope this gives me that Mario feeling.

14. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    But be aware, due to the controls it feels different. But the atmosphere is there, the music, the animations, the characters, colors... it all makes you smile :)

15. ldkaplan

ldkaplan Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    I love that music by flashygoodness. It's nice to hear a musician that's focused on this type of music. You have to have addicting music for a 2d platformer.

16. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm usually against spending more than a buck on short games...

However, I've spent more for far worse...

I'm gonna try it out. What the he'll, why not?

I'm a sucker for amazing platformers and would love another game to capture my love for the genre. Pizza Boy is one of my favorite all time iOS games. I'd have loved to see Pizza Boy expanded and made universal.

This is universal, so I'm gonna buy it.

I'll post impressions soon.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Awesome to see the dev here...this can only lead to good things! :D

Just a couple of questions for the dev:

1) Can you make the whole game retina? It's a shame because those menus stick out in an otherwise gorgeous game.

2) You guys are Australian? Who came up with "YOU ARE WIN FOR NOW" then? >_> I could have sworn this was an Asian-made game. XD

18. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    That gameplay video by Sanaku just sold me (plus the dev posting on the forum helped too). Now that I've bought the game, could I put in a request for Game Center support?

19. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    So, I've played though half of the game.

Here are my impressions:

The animation is oozing with the quality of Super Mario World. It has such polish, it's astounding. The spikes animate, when you collect gems they animate, when you die you burst and it's animated. Everything in the art department is excellent.

Level design is also reminiscent of Super Mario World. Everything is lovingly polished and crafted. The theme fits well with character design and enemy design. As an added bonus, whenever you see small bricks you'll enter a secret chamber with the totem or more gems. Look out for those :)

Music is simply stellar. It's like the pixel opus mariachi love jams of joy. Fits better than most game music I've ever heard.

Controls are the only part I'm struggling with. On the iPad, my brain has trouble getting used to moving based on opposite ends of the device. Maybe add an option for customizable placement of the 2 buttons?

Overall, the game is polished, playable, beautiful, symphonic and really surpasses Pizza Boy as my favorite iOS Platformer. To me it's worth the price, I can't wait until there's more levels to traverse.

I can't recommend this game enough, it's good. Shigeru Miyamoto would be proud.

20. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Funny little detail. You can also play tiny Bean in the level select screen :)