BeatRider

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RayLancer, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Ashworth

Dr Ashworth Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Looking at the Right Round video... this will be the first in a line of music-tapping games, and I doubt this will be the best. I don't even know if Audiosurf will be the best. But frankly, for an iPod, the ability to use your own music collection means big bucks to any developer that can pull it off like Audiosurf.

2. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    [email protected]
    (bottom of http://www.mybeatrider.com/)

Try like getting them to join TA's forum. I already suggested that to them but they gave me a generic response about the release date.

This is a bemani rhythm style game. Audiosurf was more of an music adaptive puzzle game. Collect blocks and match colors to clear them off your grid. I love both though.

3. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    ink on the first page has their website

4. 3uphonius

3uphonius Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Looking at the video, it's obvious that the patterns are created by the beat, hence the name.
    The video shows that the hi-hat (being the most prominent sound) is being mapped and that any melody is being ignored.

I think all the people hoping to play all their games like GH or RB wil be disappointed. I can't see solo's, riffs or the like being mapped at all.

I could be wrong of course, but I'd say the beat side of things is handled like in Audiosurf, whereas Audiosurf also has ways of portraying melody as well, like the environment changing. This has no environment at all by the looks of it.

I would love for this to be like a GH or RB with your own mp3's but can't see it at all.

5. idrisguitar

idrisguitar Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    will still be cool though.

hope if the game blows up that they can handle the server load.

6. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    I'm still very excited, and, looking at the videos, I'm pretty sure the game is also controlled melodically as well. Fingers crossed, this comesvout soon.

7. cocodev

cocodev Active Member

May 6, 2009
    iPhone OS 3.0 is not support directly access(read) music file in music library. see 'Media Player Framework Reference' in 3.0 SDK.
    only support playing music and getting music info.
    To generate rhythm from music... app must directly access(read) music file.
    Therefore, to play rhythm game using user's music file... BeatRider's method is the only solution.
    i think... AudioSurfer can't implement in iPhone OS 3.0.

8. skamando

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    Well, that's just great, apple. Thanks for destroying all our ****ing dreams. I hope they change that, with the understanding that some extremely anticipated apps need that functionality.

9. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I wonder when will this come out? I'm a big fan when it comes to this kind of game, such as beatmania, O2Jam and DTX Mania. In fact, beat (PSP) is another reason why I bought PSP at the first place. If this thing come out, I might sell my PSP. No point bringing both of my iPod Touch and PSP anymore if my sole concern is just to play this game.

Edit: Also I saw the link for both Lite and Paid version in their official site but it seems that the item is not available in US Store?

10. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Hopefully this has better beat detection than AudioSurf.

11. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Ya, hopefully it is. BTW I don't like Audiosurf as the main goal is getting combo score. I prefer a game with beat.

12. Benegesserit

Mar 9, 2009
    Anyone else notice that the game lags a few times during the song? I sure hope they fix that. Lag can kill your streak in music games.

13. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    You can play it? Are you buying in US Store?

14. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    #34 Crypton, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
    I think Benegesserit ment the video

15. Benegesserit

Mar 9, 2009
    Right. There is a beta tester on youtube with some more videos and you see a spot of lag in the game now and then. Some might say the camera but it's the same occasionally jerky lag I see when playing Tap Tap or the Guitar Hero game on iPhone. It can really kill your buzz when you got a solid streak going and bam it lags during a rush of notes. I've played plenty of games with lots going on onscreen w/ no lag so it's not an iPhone problem. Hopefully the coding on this one is solid before release.

16. cloudlesssky22

cloudlesssky22 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Does anyone know when will this game be available in the US app store? Last time I read the TouchArcade article, it said this game had already been submitted to the app store a couple of weeks ago. I'm really looking forward to this game. Can't wait!

17. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Supposedly it was submitted on 4/30. I emailed the developers and they said its currently in review. Who knows though, Apple seems really slow at the review process now. I hope it comes out soon though.

18. skamando

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    Agreed. I emailed them as well, and their answer was extremely general.
    Something about how the game is in review, and that it's release should be soon. I hate waiting for this kinda stuff. It plain pisses me off.

19. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    this was already featured on the homepage of toucharcade

20. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    i think apple trying to figure out if its legal or not