BeatRider

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RayLancer, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Sorry to burst your bubble buddy, but did you even look at the demonstration videos or the official website? You load your "MP3s" into their server. Which is still legal as long as the files are for your own use. For example I'm person A and I upload the song "shake it yo" Person B says oh man I want the song shake it yo and looks at the mp3 library to find the song but instead finds a blank page with no mp3's. That is because he has to get the song himself and upload it himself. Files are not going to be shared as far as I can see. So I don't see what the problem is with Apple approving this.

2. wonderva

wonderva Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    I'm sorry, late person to this thread, but has the developer confirmed a price?

3. cocodev

cocodev Active Member

May 6, 2009
    #103 cocodev, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
  4. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #104 Benegesserit, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
    Who says the actual song file is stored? Since the iPhone apps aren't allowed to touch the song data you upload the file and they may only convert the data from it and send that back to your phone. I really doubt they are going to devote TBs of website storage space for all the mp3s out there when they would need GBs at most for the doubtless tiny data files that get sent back.

It also makes a lot of sense considering A) Apple would not approve of them uploading mp3s even if they claim they will not share, because Apple cannot control nor guarentee this if they let it happen, B) tranfering songs back and forth to the phone when you want to play would be extremely obnoxious (i.e. time consuming), C) it's just smarter in every sense to do it this way.

The reason the file reads as mp3 is to not confuse the average joe. Putting some extension like .btr or something would confuse people when they sent their song data to the server so they just tell them they're accessing the info they uploaded to them (the mp3). It doesn't mean that these guys are storing their mp3s for playback on their servers.

All they are likely doing is temporarily storing the actual file for data extraction then converting the data into something that isn't the original file (i.e. something only the app needs). See audiko.com as an example.

Again, there is no way they could profit off this software to devote so much bandwidth and storage space unless the app cost like $200 if it works like you think it does.

5. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Have you guys noticed the Top Score list on the website? Apparently there's a new UK player that overtook the list lol.

6. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    Dude I'm sorry but you are still wrong whether you want to believe it or not. The only thing that the uploading does is get your music from your PC into beatrider, since the current firmware will not allow access to the library from your ipod. I understand what you are saying about the server costs, and I too am curious about how that is going to work out, but the algorithm engine is within the game, not the site. You can see through the videos that when a song is picked the algorithm engine goes into effect by reading the data from the mp3s.

7. rivgambino

rivgambino Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2009
    when is the tentative release date for this app? Yeah I am lazy and didn't search I admit so thank you to whoever provides me the answer.

8. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    no clue, its already been submitted but we have been kept in the blue about the approval process.

9. rivgambino

rivgambino Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Thanks Maythius for the reply.

10. drunknbass

drunknbass Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    not the entire song but just "beat data"?? Is there some magical mp3 metadata I never knew about? You have to upload or read the full mp3 to anylize it's channels and create a dataset to play a game off.
    So unless the game itself could do it, something else would. And unless their server does it WTF even have a server do it and eat bandwidth. I mean realistically releasing a desktop app that did this and served the files to your iPod. So unless they are scared of the desktop app being ripped or do it in the server WTF is the point of the server in the 1st place.??

11. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    Who is Cosmos!?!? Lols.

12. Benegesserit

Mar 9, 2009
    I highly doubt the end user is having to download an entire mp3 every time they want to play.

13. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    no, once you download the mp3 you want into the game, it stays in the game. Then most likely it is removed from the server. Nothing is kept; not even "bits of data" that you claim. So it doesnt stay on the site but all the music stays on the game.

14. Benegesserit

Mar 9, 2009
    So you are claiming two copies of the mp3 on everyone's iPhone/iTouch? Seems wasteful.

15. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    Tell me how this game is possible without accessing the music from your ipod? Your claiming it just needs "small" data from the files. But if I'm not mistaking you need "music" to play a music game. So yes you'll have to have duplicate songs; that's just how it is.

16. Benegesserit

Mar 9, 2009
    You upload the song in full to the website (an adaptation of what you are claiming) but what comes back and gets perm stored online is the algorithm file (server then deletes the song file you uploaded). The game just unpackages it into the game and plays the song that's already on your library (remember you can play music from your library right now when using apps).

17. wonderva

wonderva Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    are you the developer?

18. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    #118 Maythius, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
    I'm afraid that that is not possible. You're saying that the game should play the music without actually knowing if its playing the music or not? That sounds pretty dumb. Not to mention the feature of accessing the music library is still not available till 3.0 (yes I know about double click home) But changing songs would be a pain in the neck using the double click home method.

EDIT: Another reason why that method won't work is because there will syncing issues. The game won't be able to recognize when you start the music so it won't be in time, which will completely destroy the whole aspect of this being a rhythm game.

No matter what you suggest, the way I have explained it before is the only logical way it can be done.

@wonderva- no I am not the developer, if I was I wouldn't be discussing this song upload process with Benegesserit.

19. Benegesserit

Mar 9, 2009
    The game will know if the music is playing or not. You're making a dogmatic assumption. Your way is not the only logical way it can be done. On top of that, it "sounds pretty dumb."

You think changing songs would be a pain? Try redownloading all your mp3s in full. That's a pain. It's illogical. It "sounds pretty dumb" and it's not the only way.

20. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    How would the game know if the music is playing? And how would it sync up? What you are suggesting can't be done till 3.0.

And the point is, the way I said it's being done is the way it's being done; so give it up.