Best Brick Breaker game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by monkeys37, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    The best Brickbreaking game style is Ricochet infinity its only 99 cents, there is 9 planets, around 100+ stages total.... its got sweet graphics and sound....you can upgrade your ship/paddle to different ship/paddles that have different abilities....different ball skins , the game is the complete package....

2. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    In fact it's not exactly the full package, probably the original package, because now and even before iPhone release the PC version has more than 200 levels. I was expecting an IAP but none came, perhaps the game didn't sell well enough or after having discovered the context they change their mind.

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Although I have an Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii, I've actually been playing my iPod Touch more than the three of them combined (perhaps because I can get away with it more with the wife :) ). But I recently picked up Shatter for PS3 (believe it's considered a mini). It's easly one of the best brick-breakers I've ever played and wish it would get ported to the iOS.

There are quite a few brick breakers on the iOS. But while some are good, like Jet Ball, I still don't think there's anything that I would consider to be epic. Shatter would be a fantastic addition to the iOS.

4. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    I have played Shatter, many levels but not finished. It's a very special one, not really a Brick Breaker anymore. It is great but it fails a little in repetition, in part. I'm not sure the gameplay would fit that well touch controls. Anyway I feel it rather rude your comparison with it and other already on ios.

Myself I consider, Circuloid, Block Breaker Deluxe 2, Brickadelic and Ricochet Infinity better than Shatter. Yes it's subjective but in term of features diversity Shatter just can't compare with them and from very far for the first 3.

5. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    My vote is for Jet Ball.

6. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Here's a list of the best brick breakers currently in the app store, not necessary in this order:

1. Jet Ball
    2. Atomic Ball
    3. Blocks Touch 3D
    4. Ricochet Infinity
    5. Arkano Arena
    6. Brickadelic
    7. 3D Brick Breaker Revolution 2
    8. Arkanoid
    9. Meteor
    10. Space Out
    11. Breakeroids
    12. Space Breakout
    13. Radial 50
    14. Breakspin
    15. Core Damage

7. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Is there a breakout game which adds spin to the ball?

8. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    #48 Qordobo, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
    Thanks for the list, there's few I hadn't quoted yet so that I'll try them (Blockstouch 3D, Space Out, Breakeroids, Space Breakout, Core damage).

I feel strange to see in the list Atomic Ball which repeat almost the same level again and again but well your choice and it has a sort of dynamic for it. I also felt 3D Brick Breaker Revolution 2 too repetitive despite the design efforts. Its design putting an extreme focus on powerup is a part of its originality but also a part in its gameplay holes.

And the absence of Brick Breaker Deluxe 2 makes me smile, you shouldn't let your hate against Gameloft make you lost your objectivity. Other than that I would add for an extended selection:
    • Brick Breaker Deluxe 2
    • Circuloid (one of the best and more original for me)
    • COCONoid (also a very original one)
    • Enchanted Forest
    • SuperBall 3 (iphone version but avoid ipad version with fps problems)
    • Bricks of Camelot
    • QuadNoid
    • Splash Duel
    • Mr. Bounce (for the special gameplay)
    • Reflexion (well for someone not finding its gameplay too difficult)

EDIT:
    Good question, I'm almost sure there's one but can't remember which one and there's a good possibility I make a confusion with a PC or Mac Brick Breaker. Sorry for this non answer. :)

9. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    The Bricks of Camelot by Donut Games

Uniquely skinned theme with power ups reflective of the period. This one is the absolute best.

10. SuperWeird

Dec 9, 2010
    #50 SuperWeird, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    I just discovered Circuloid and Splash Duel, and I agree these are definitely 2 of the best brick breakers around. I would add Reflexion to the list too, but as far as I know, it's incompatible with iOS 4+, and hasn't been updated since 2009. There's a couple on your list I didn't know about: Coconoid and Mr. Bounce, these are very unique brick breakers!

BTW, I don't hate Gameloft at all, I actually really like their games. I just hadn't tried Brick Breaker Deluxe 2 yet, but I own it now and yes it's a good one for sure, it's a tad cheesy, but certainly an excellent brick breaker.

EDIT: whoa! I just discovered another brick breaker called Halogen, it's extremely awesome!

My revised list so far:

1. Jet Ball
    2. Atomic Ball
    3. Blocks Touch 3D
    4. Ricochet Infinity
    5. Arkano Arena
    6. Brickadelic
    7. 3D Brick Breaker Revolution 2
    8. Arkanoid
    9. Meteor
    10. Space Out
    11. Breakeroids
    12. Space Breakout
    13. Radial 50
    14. Breakspin
    15. Core Damage
    16. Brick Breaker Deluxe 2
    17. Circuloid
    18. Splash Duel
    19. Mr. Bounce
    20. Coconoid
    21. Sonic Slug Bricks
    22. Halogen

11. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Thanks again to updates, and don't forget to add more updates, I hadn't noticed Halogen.

12. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Peggle, if that counts!

13. SuperWeird

Dec 9, 2010
    Halogen is the most amazing brick breaker I've played, totally unique, nothing like.

The dev's put it best (although this doesn't even fully describe it): "Halogen is what would happen if Air Hockey and Galaxian had a baby and bottle fed him with lemonade and sherbet."

14. Hey, thanks for the props SuperWeird!

So that you know, we're working on the first update for Halogen right this very minute after being on hiatus. Expect the update to hit soon once we've ironed out the last few crinkles!

15. lomaelli

lomaelli Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I haven't played many of this kind, but there are two which i confess are great: Ball Slam Fantasy and Bricks of Cameloft.

16. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    May I recommend PinPon? It's a new game; pretty simple but with 100 levels and smooth, polished graphics.
    Certainly worth a look.

17. SuperWeird

Dec 9, 2010
    #57 SuperWeird, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
    Right on, I look forward to the update. The game occasionally crashes during tournament mode, so hopefully this will be fixed, also multitasking would be helpful.

Regardless, this game is simply awesome. It really defies genre boundaries altogether to give us something totally unique. The boss battles, full screen mobility, geo-wars-like space shooter action, air hockey defense elements, brick breaking, waves of alien enemies, shields, powerups, endless mode, wow! Everyone should know about Halogen, amazing!!

18. QWERTYthebold

QWERTYthebold Active Member

Feb 10, 2011
    is there going to be an iPhone version?

19. SuperWeird

Dec 9, 2010
    GloBall is a pretty unique brick breaker. It's sort of a combo of a ball roller/labyrinth game and a brick breaker.

20. SuperWeird

Dec 9, 2010
    Ball Slam Fantasy Tournament is another very creative brick breaker. Your paddle is an alien which creates a trail as it moves around and acts as a reflector for the ball. Also you can move anywhere on the screen, and need to defend several port openings all around the screen where the ball can escape. I picked this game up a couple weeks ago when it was free, but am just now checking it out, very cool. Just wish it was universal HD for the iPad too.