Best Match-3's (IMO)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Coldar, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Gotta mention Power Gems, great strategic matching game.

2. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Hey, thanks for the recommend on Steamballs. I just watched the video (when first came out there wasn't one) and both/combined sold me. I see its a different enough kind of play to make it a worthwhile game.

3. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    yeah steamballs is good and i like 180 too

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread Coldar - I had completely missed out on Steamballs, and am therefore picking it up.

I hope that the iPad version of that is going to be Universal.

There is a good excel spreadsheet - http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pQH91Hm-g7BtTimNSxgnBVQ with a lot of match 3 type games. Kind of old, but has descriptions and may prove useful to some out there that are just getting into these games.

Current Match 3 that I have on my iPhone - are Phantasia, Paradise Quest, Gemmed!, Peppers, Atlantic Sky Patrol, Jewel Quest 2 in 1, Azkend, Babo Crash ( I did not see this one mentioned, and it has some very unique control elements that make it definitely worth checking out), Neander Block (a very nice graphical game), Power Gems, Puzzle Quest 1 and 2, Rainbow Web - has a nice story (although can get somewhat repetitive), Bounce Out - has a lot of different modes - a Super Bounce Out clone - well done, and worth the $0.99!, Rise of Atlantis, Charmed - one of the prettiest Match 3s out there with very unique mechanics, Sparkle, Call of Atlantis, Chop Sushi - as mentioned -nice story, and a lot of mini-games, Chuzzle ( no story, but still one of the greats), Tomb Treasure (also a pretty good game worth checking out), Treasure of Montezuma 1 and 2, 180.

Not all of these have stories, but they are ones that I am currently playing. Again - as a major Match 3 fanatic (as you can probably tell) -- I would say that all the games mentioned in the thread are worth getting, and all are fun. And, there are hundreds of other sorts of match 3s that don't have story lines attached to them, that are equally immersive. Great thread Coldar!

5. crescentia2010

crescentia2010 Well-Known Member

Try "Peppers The Game", it is on sale now...

I too have been bored by some of them and that is what led me to write this game. I have not played all of the games mentioned in this thread but I think the 'On Fire' game mode is pretty different from those I have seen and it may get your heart rate up a bit.

It has some great graphics and music. Let me know what you think.

www.peppersthegame.com

Cres

6. AppGeek

AppGeek New Member

May 23, 2010
    Call of Atlantis

I played the Mac version of this game when it was released by Playrix late last year. Now they launched it for iPhone. I thought it was pretty cool and polished, great replayability. Crashes on iPad though. My suggestion to iPad owners to wait for an update. Works totally smoothly on iPhone.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/call-of-atlantis/id371962660

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Yes, it does crash. Won't even load for me, just exits out. Oh well - better than needing a reset, or messing with other games like used to happen with some early iPhone games...

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I don't know if I have tried this mode - will try it out though. It is a pretty fun game though and looks good on iPhone and iPad.

For people that like Peppers, there is an older game named Adubble that has some similar mechanics and has some interesting twists to it as well.

9. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I've been hearing steamballs is great so I may have to look into it now. But yes 180 is really awesome.

10. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    A little shameless self-promotion here. We built 180 to appeal to the match-3 crowd who were "tired of the same old thing." So although it has a lot of the rules you are familiar with, play for 5 minutes and you will be in a whole new world of cannot stop playing. Check the free version and see what the story is-

Here's the differences between Paid and Free

180 FREE:
    1 character
    Easy Level
    Score Attack Mode (try for as many points in 90 seconds)

180 FULL ($1.99):
    4 characters
    Easy and Hard Levels
    -Endless Mode (play until you die - the "meat" of the game)
    -Score Attack (noted above)
    -Drop Attack (add as many lines as possible in 90 seconds)
    OpenFeint leaderboards for all modes, with 27 achievements

11. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    My all time favorite is Alchemize, although I have been waiting a very long time for the update. Reiner Knizia's Roto isnt persay a match three, but it has strong match three elements, and I have clocked a lot of time on that game. BeEarthed is a new one that just came out, and I have been enjoying it a lot, it has a couple unique aspects to it, I definetely recommend checking it out. Colorix is a match three/columns clone that is really fun. Dapple is a pretty incredible game too. Gem Spinner is pretty entertaining. Trism is an classic, one the first games on my phone, and is still there. Styx is also another great one too. I tried to name games that others hadnt said, and all of the ones I named are some of my all time favorites. Def check them out if you are into match three's!

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Roto looks a lot like Frenzic? which I like quite a lot... it is a similar game, or no ??

Totally missed Beearthed - THANKS for mentioning that - buying it right now...

Dapple I agree is a great game, as is Styx.

Original topic was about Match 3 with a story line, and although I love to read about all the great match 3 out there, most of them don't really have stories associated - more of just arcade. Although some of the "stories" are pretty thin.

I have in mind a project that one day I will perhaps do is to write a mini-review on all the match 3 type games that i have played as a sort of guide - I have a feeling it will take quite a long time though - I have bunches and bunches of them - I am thinking 150? maybe more...

13. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #33 Coldar, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
    Hey pluto6, no worries about the storyline w/ match 3 games in regards to the op. I originally wrote that to steer away from Bejewled type games, etc.

The threads turned into what anyone feels is a good match 3 game to post/add so basically anything goes. There has been many newer types lately to add if anyone is inclined to do so. A few have already.
    I've even picked up a game from a recommend posted earlier. (Steamballs)

pluto6, that would be great to put all that experience in a review, btw. I doubt it would be a mini-review considering your writing of over 150 games+:eek:, even if each game review was mini......