Best RPG

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by OsideRida06, Feb 26, 2010.

1. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #21 S.I.D. CrAzY, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    Have you played it? Pretty graphics, horrible story and gameplay. Paid sixty bucks for it when it came out and still couldn't bring myself to beat it just for the sake of feeling like I didn't completely waste my money like with Fable 2 *shudders*

I'd say play Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, and ME 1+2 before even considering Star Ocean.

But if you've played it and liked it then.......good for you ;)

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Sword of Fargoal is less RPG-ish, more hack-and-slash-rogue-ish, but a great game for those new to it.

Also, all of The Quest is on sale, which is NOT a good game for beginners, but is an amazing amount of game for the price (The Quest Gold is only$6 for the game and the first three expansions right now...)

That being said, I'll echo that FF1 is a good choice (probably as classic of a JRPG as we'll ever see on the iphone), as would be Ravenloft (very close to a console action RPG experience.)

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed on SoF -- though once someone experiences PermaDeath, they may not find it so beginner friendly ;).

4. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    The update has an Easy mode with no permadeath, so beginners can love life again!

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Didn't know that -- thanks for the info.

6. Jkopp

Jkopp Member

Feb 27, 2010
    USA
    Eliminate pro

Eliminate pro kicks the pants off any other iPhone rpg to date!! Tons of things to do, earn credits, battle friends/ enemies, earn skill in global matches, upgrade weapons and much more! Did I mention it's free!

7. Jkopp

Jkopp Member

Feb 27, 2010
    USA
    Last post

Guess it's really a fps my bad :p

8. Sukal

Sukal Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Inotia 2

9. herr_sebbe

herr_sebbe Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Grandia on psx4iphone.

10. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    FF, Ravensword, Inotia 2 and Zenonia are the best so far

11. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Sword of Fargoal update were are you!

12. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    battle for wesnoth.....300+ hrs of gameplay for 5 dollars.....very impressive game i'd recommend it

13. Zolty

Zolty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    It really depends what you like. Final Fantasy I found so boring compared to Zenonia because its turn based, crappy skill animations, and the graphics were poor. Not only that but look at the price difference. Zenonia on the other hand, has 40 hours of gameplay, really addicting and fun, lots of skills and you only have to control 1 character unlike Final Fantasy which is more simplistic since you are new to RPG's. In Zenonia, you have dazzling skill animations, fast action packed gameplay (In FF, all you do is move around, encounter some enemies, do some whole attack battle thing for like 2 mins..) with sick attack animations. The enemies take knockback and you can take on more than 5 enemies at ONCE. Explosive aoe (area of effect) skills like screen clears and buffs like Berserk Spirit which give you 100% critical for a certain time. Don't forget, the sequel is coming very soon and it will own. Sick boss battles that you will definetly enjoy. The only reason I would not recommend it for, is it being too addicting. But you and I both know thats a good thing ;). Honestly, I can write all day, so do yourself a favor and get Zenonia. :D

14. Zolty

Zolty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    This person needs to play a real rpg to get the real experience. Not a fake, wannabe one with 2 hours of gameplay.

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    This is coming from someone whose criteria for a good RPG are sick graphics and only having to control one character? [​IMG]

You are hereby sentenced to play all the way through Dragon Bane II! :p

16. Zolty

Zolty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Not a criteria for a good rpg. I just said that controlling 1 character would be more SIMPLISTIC. And why would an RPG with sick graphics be bad? :confused::confused::confused:

Uhm. Dragon Bane II is for hardcore RPGer's not for a person who has never been into RPG's before.

17. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I HATED Zenonia. Sure it has decent animation but there is so much freakin' grinding. That is NOT a good way to introduce people to rpg's.

18. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I love how people consider zenonia to have any grinding at all.
    I don't know if you have tried the "all-great" inotia 2.

19. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    dungeon hunter is a button masher?..Really now?
    You must really not know how to play games then.

FF1 is a good place to start?..it's unanimously been deemed as one of the hardest and most confusing RPG's to play.

Ravensword is not a RPG. The developer cleared said it was an open-world adventure game.

Necromancer Rising is a messy game of random dungeons. I have never seen such a terrible menu system.

If you're going to get a RPG on the idevice, get dungeon hunter or zenonia. Inotia 2 I guess if you want to pour in hours and hours. Across Age is fun, but you can accomplish every single thing possible in less than 10 hours.

20. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    My bad, I may have completely misread the intent of your post. It's the end of the week and I'm barely awake.

That's why I suggested Sword of Fargoal to the original poster several posts back... very friendly RPG intro, albeit it is more of a dungeon crawl/hack&slash type of game.