beta test signup for Tanuki Forest

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Jake-gumbleton, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Loving this game.
    -I think if it were zoomed a bit further out, the control issue could be a bit better
    -when you have a magnet active, and then get an animal power-up the magnet is taken away. This feels almost like a punishment instead of a reward. I think the magnet should stay active.

2. Jake-gumbleton

Jake-gumbleton Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Freelance concept artist
    Uk
    Hi lazer kat. Thanks for your kind words :)
    The magnet power is not lost when you activate a guest hero. There is no visual feedback for it though other than the kami and animals being sucked towards you. Maybe we can keep the vfx for it even though the magnet itself vanishes. Thanks for your feedback we really appreciate it :)

3. Jake-gumbleton

Nov 22, 2012
    Freelance concept artist
    Uk
    I updated the screens on the first post.

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I never received a invite to testflight fyi. Haha if you don't want me I understand :)

5. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #25 Lazer Kat, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    Yeah.
    I figured that out after I made the comment.
    It does kind of feel like you lose your magnet though.
    I think the visual feedback carrying over to the guest hero would be a good thing.

Anyway, the more I play this the more I like it.
    Runners are a shallow genre. I love them, but more often than not they don't make it very long on my device.
    I've put a decent amount of time into this one, and I still have the desire to keep going.

I think the tree, and lounge area add a lot to replay value...however, I really think it would be much better if we could arrange those items the way we see fit. Being able to do this would give us a feeling of ownership, and encourage replay.

6. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Hi.

Finally I managed to get installed manually, it just refused to install via testflight, email or safari, I reconnected etc but with no joy, anyways it's now installed but crashes on the very first start up screen. I think I'm not meant to play this bloody thing lol.

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I agree with everything Lazer is saying, this game is great.

It's atmosphere is definitely where it shines. The different "hero" animals that change the gameplay are an awesome idea as it mixes things up, similar to Jetpack Joyride vehicles.

One thing I think could use a little work is the controls. I find that my guy drops down and flys up too slowly, because of a combination of the slope being to subtle and the direction change being registered too late, as far as I can tell.

Thanks

8. Sorry to hear it's not working, how did you manage to install it 'manually'? I thought it would only be possible using Testflight?

9. Thanks for giving it a go, we are so pleased you like it. Their inertia on the character is what makes it take some time to rise again, maybe I need to tweak the values a little bit so it counters it faster if you're finding it too slow.

10. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    I'm agree the control is hard to be stand on. I mean the response of it is not fast enough. There's a bit delay between it when i tap the screen. You can see jetpack joyride, or tiny wing. both of them are awesome example for one touch control option.. :)
    also may be you can give some random power ups such as the magnet in the game, not just hero only :)

11. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    Yep.
    The thing is, when you're going for a line of "coins", or whatever they're called in this game, in the formation of a V -
    It's almost impossible to get every coin in the formation.

Your character should be able to maneuver that without a hitch.

12. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    On the bottom of the email with notification for the new build there's an option to manually install by downloading the profile and the API to the desktop which can then be installed via iPhone configuration utility.

Wow, that makes me sound clever lol. I can't take the credit though, google and forum members helped me. Big learning curve for me today.

13. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Just thought I'd update, I've got all my beta installs working apart from this one, I don't think the install button is supposed to be grey? It turns green after I agree the profile install even though it's already installed and then I get stuck at waiting.
    I've googled and read forum posts and think it might be a profile error or possible something to do with me not being part of the first build. I do t want to cause you guys a headache so will just wait til it's released and purchase

14. Jake-gumbleton

Nov 22, 2012
    Freelance concept artist
    Uk
    Hi all.
    We have just released a new build with some tweaks. We are still after beta testers if anyone else wants in.
    Thanks so much for the feedback so far. We are already improving Tanuki Forest based on the TA community's ideas and opinions :)
    I am so excited to get this thing out there :)
    Thanks
    Jake

15. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    My $0.02
    You guys have a great game, but what was the purpose of the beta process? It is to not only work out bugs, but also kinks.
    Everyone who's played the game, I'd venture to say, has said close the same thing.
    "The controls aren't responsive enough. You should be able to go up and down at a more extreme angle."

If you guys release with this current build, then all of your paying customers will say it as well.

Love the game. I don't think this build is ready.

16. Jake-gumbleton

Nov 22, 2012
    Freelance concept artist
    Uk
    Cheers lazercat! Jam is making that change right now so it will be on our next build :)
    We have actually had very mixed responses about the feel of the controls!

17. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Good to hear :)

18. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    It's hard to explain.
    They feel great

It's just the accuracy of the character.
    When you play other games in this genre, such as whale trail and JJ, you can really make tight maneuvers with accuracy

With that being said, this is one of the few games I've tested that I will actually purchase and play after release.
    That says a lot..

19. Najmax

Najmax Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I'm in! Sign me up.

20. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I am in too! I'd love to try that game, I am a huge tanuki lover! I loved Ghibli's anime "Ponpoko" and I will probably love this game even if the anime and the game aren't directly related.