Universal Bik - A Space Adventure (by Zotnip)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 13, 2014.

1. rotsentu

rotsentu New Member

Apr 13, 2013

Hi Mike!

I'm Néstor and I'm a future videogame developer like yourself! My company is Pleibot Studios and you can check usn on pleibot.com
    I was wondering how long this game took you and your team to finish? Good luck with this awesome game!

2. mikepinto

mikepinto Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Developer/Musician
    New Jersey
    Hi Néstor,
    It was a 2 year process. We had one programmer(myself) on the team and I had never built anything so complex before so it was quite a lot of work. Thanks for asking!

3. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    So, after 2 days without Internet and I was excited to bring my impressions (Not first impression but quite deeper and thoughtful ones) and I'm really impressed of the game, at some level even amused by it.
    The last point n' click (more like tap n' tap on iPad) was Lost Echo that IMO was epic and kinda intentionally goofy at times and it only had a big flaw and it was that was really ambitious and wanted to tell a deep and interesting story with some of the most lifeless characters that I've seen and even then the game managed to be awesome.
    Bik in this case aims to a different way as the game, from the begining identifies itself as 90's inspired point and click with a 80's si-fi theme going on and a silly yet clever story with a ton of optional humor that I really appreciate.
    Gameplay-wise the game does holds it's 90's feel and logic as the answers are occasionally the most stupid and at the same time logical (like the solution for the fire puzzle) and that what I loved about game like Grim Fandango and Monkey Island, the music is also quite good as it fits nicely to the game and atmosphere, the graphics are just fine, they fit with the theme and stylization of the game but, with the exception of some pseudo-3D cutscenes and shadow effects the graphics are just fine.
    For $1 is an absoulte steal and I'd recommend it to anyone that likes the genre and wants a nice retro point n' click and don't mind graphics.
    Good job devs, you made a marvelous retro point n' click with humor
    I give Bik a 10/10 Sandwich Heavens

4. mikepinto

mikepinto Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Developer/Musician
    New Jersey
    Thank you so much TheOutlander!

5. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    I love this game! However:

I got really stuck on Chompers, because I kept dying while walking around. I still don't understand why sometimes I died almost instantly and other times I had more time to explore. I played the same minute or so of gameplay over and over for like an hour and then gave up and read a walkthrough. I was a bit surprised because I had already being doing everything correctly but I always died if I got near the place where you actually had to go. It was weird that the only time I didn't die when going to that area was after I read the walkthrough. I still don't understand why all the other times I died even after doing the correct actions.

So... if I were to tweak any part of this game in an update, it would be that section. If it's a time based thing... maybe some indication of time running out would be good. But it didn't feel time based, it felt random.

6. mikepinto

mikepinto Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Developer/Musician
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the feedback! We will be keeping this under consideration as we've had others have trouble at that same puzzle. That puzzle is a combination of timing and area triggers.
    If you walk right but haven't thrown the brownie yet, it is auto death. If you walk close to chompers or the gun and haven't thrown brownie, it is also an auto death. The timer also starts the moment you hit the ground after walking the plank.

7. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    1. When does the sale end?

2. Are there more installments planned?

Thanks!

8. mikepinto

mikepinto Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Developer/Musician
    New Jersey
    Hi thanks for the questions!
    We don't have an exact end of sale date yet. We are analyzing the sales data and coming up with the best time. Currently we are looking at within the next couple weeks though.

There are no currently planned installments. The game is a complete experience and while we would love to have a sequel, it will all depend on sales and what we can afford.

9. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    This game is amazing and I must have more. Please tell me most of the two years you spent on this game were for the engine, and you can now crank out more adventures in a fraction of the time.

I want more in this series. I want more new series. Please make more. That is all.

P.S. I think $2.99 or $3.99 would be good price points for future adventures in the same scope as Bik.

10. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I loved the old Sierra & LucasArts games and look forward to picking this up soon!

11. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    #51 Glorkbot, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    A couple of times I've gotten stuck for long periods simply because I couldn't tell that an item was usable.

For instance,
    on planet Set
    I needed to use the stick
    to make a trap
    but the stick didn't appear to be selectable and so I didn't try clicking it. I was playing with my boys and none of us could see that the item was selectable, even though we double checked that screen dozens of times. Finally after about an hour of walking in circles and just clicking everything, I had to check the walkthrough. Then when I went back to the game and looked really close, I could see that there was a very very faint gray rectangle around it. It really made me mad, because it wasn't from lack of brain power that I couldn't solve the puzzle, it was just because the object didn't seem to light up as much as the other selectable item on the same screen lit up.

The same thing happened earlier in the game with the mop. It just didn't appear to be marked as selectable, so I didn't select it.

It's an awesome game, don't get me wrong. But a little problem like that can become incredibly frustrating.

12. mikepinto

mikepinto Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Developer/Musician
    New Jersey
    Thank you Glorkbot for taking the time to write up the feedback! It helps us a lot to know these types of things both so we can patch this game and learn for the next game. Thank you!

13. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Grabbed this one when it first hit - very fun, loved the game's sense of humor. Only negative was the fact that hit boxes can be easily to miss, they're so tiny sometimes. Probably a difficult fix however. That said, I enjoyed it and look forward to whatever you guys do next.

14. mikepinto

mikepinto Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Developer/Musician
    New Jersey
    Hi Everyone,
    Today will be the last day for the .99 cents launch sale! Tomorrow Wed, Aug 20, the price will increase to $1.99.

Thanks!

15. rotsentu

rotsentu New Member

Apr 13, 2013
    2 years and you programming alone?! I admire you big time! This give me faith in what I'm doing! Thanks a lot for your time!

16. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    This looks awesome!

17. iamheffe

iamheffe Active Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Stuck

I'm with Ammut on the ship with the 3 rooms trying to find items to fix the ship. In the room with the Robot Maintenance Panel it keeps saying "I should try and convince the driod to open the storage locker...'

But there is no maintenance droid, only Probe droids with bad attitudes who shoot first and don't even ask questions later..??

18. mikepinto

mikepinto Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Developer/Musician
    New Jersey
    The Robot Maintenance Panel is part of the bigger Maintenance Robot. If you click on the Robot and not the panel you can talk to it. The maintenance panel will come into play after talking to the droid.
    You can also check this video at about 12min38seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1eiVfMrOfE

19. iamheffe

iamheffe Active Member

Feb 11, 2013

D'oh!!! Thanks man, really appreciate it!!

20. Stella

Stella Well-Known Member

#60 Stella, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014