Universal Bike Baron - (by Mountain Sheep & Qwiboo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TimoVihola, Oct 19, 2011.

1. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    Wait til you get to Joker Baron IV...much.....MUCH harder. 40 minutes + 400 retries and counting.

2. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I think I've hit my wall with this game, not sure I'll even finish Dragon's Teeth. And if you guys, that have mastered Dragon's Teeth, are having a really hard time with Joker Baron, then it is hopeless for me. :)

3. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks finally got it. Got 2 of the stars, narrowly missed the third. I'll get it eventually.

Forgot I skipped Care-Full of Bears earlier, how the heck are you supposed to get passed the low ceiling at the beginning, not to mention once getting through that how can the first coin be snatched up? Looks like sheer luck on this one...

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Hold left and right down, then punch the gas. That *should* compress the suspension down enough for you to pass the low ceiling. Worked about 3/5 times for me though...

5. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Challenge for you guys, try to beat my time on Coin Blast:

Attached Files:

6. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    And if Echoseven's method doesn't work for you. I quickly tap the accelerate button: only so you barely start to move. Then press the left arrow to do a wheelie (and tap accelerate a couple of times so you don't hit your head on the back wall). If you do it right, then the front fender will touch the ceiling, and you can then press the accelerate to wheelie through the section. Of course you then need to figure out how to drop through the opening. I found going slow, and tilting back down to the right seemed to work.

As far as getting that coin, I can't remember what exactly I did. I found that I would slowly wheelie until I got closer to the drop. Then I held the accelerate button. In certain cases, I'd get the Baron to pop up, or flip, or something, and then I got the coin and managed to drop down.

7. Muscat

Muscat Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I use the top fender against the roof method and start off slow. At about halfway ish, maybe a bit earlier, I floor it, holding back as hard as I can. It hits the wall and flips up, snagging the coin. As soon as I touch the coin, I lean forward... the front wheel will flip around in a back flip at first, leaving you upside down, and holding forward will allow you to drop out the bottom to safety. Took a fair bit of mucking around to get the timing right, but now I can snag that coin safely 9 times out of 10. :cool:

P.S. Blame all lack of Jetpack Joyride updates directly on Bike Baron :D. Just kidding.

8. qwiboo

qwiboo Well-Known Member

But I'm not kidding when I say Bike Baron was finished with a few days delay because of Jetpack Joyride :D To be exact 11 hours and 41 minutes :p

9. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    You are challenging an elite company here, but for mortals like me... WTF?!!!! Can you repeat it?

10. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Oh my God! Just discovered the kind and gentle side of the developers. In "care-full of bears" they have given a massive 30 seconds of time for the timed run! I am sure people here have managed it under 20?

@VoodooVyper: I think I discovered how it can be done. I almost managed a 10 second run. Not attempting it now though. Have other levels to three-star

11. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Thank you Muscat! I couldn't get any stars on this one until I read your technique.

All I did was lean back at the start and floor it, never letting go of the gas until he was upside down at the end of the tunnel. It's all about how much you lean and when you hit the gas, but I can get it nearly every time now.

[​IMG]

12. sweetdiss

Jun 15, 2009
    Also, how about some easier levels in the next update? This game is tremendous fun, but there is a fine line between feeling great from completing a challenge and feeling lucky for finally hitting the exact right pixel while having the random physics happen to go your way...

13. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Game Impressions

I bought the game the night it came out, and have been putting off reviewing it here or the app store. At first it was because I was having too much fun with it.

I wanted to say how much I enjoy the controls and physics that come together so well, and how it separates this from many other games where play control is an afterthought. It's especially remarkable on iOS, where the limitations of a touch screen work against games from the start.

But I'm not having much fun with it lately. Like so many other people posting their reviews, that ended for me pretty early in the game.

I didn't mind replaying the "easy" set of stages to three star them all. I enjoyed the Angry Birds scoring system and the varied goals: collect coins, do a few backflips, try not to crash.

My only complaint would have been the par for times. I have always maintained that any timed mode in a game that sets the goal by the absolute best score anybody could achieve in testing it, suggests the developers understand little about balance.

There is not a game in the world that has ever compelled me to develop the OCD that beating these times would require.

Where blowing through the early courses was immediately entertaining and even addicting, it soon turned into the tedium of trying to overcome the physics. Crawling through narrow passages, or attempting to climb gravity-defying vertical slopes at length is not fun. Having to run the same course over a dozen times--not because I'm going for a different goal, but because a bump was added some place that requires just the right set of variables to pass--is not fun.

First I stated letting stars pass, saying "I'll come back to it later". Then I stopped caring entirely. Then I began outright resenting stages, saying to myself "that is fraking stupid" and hitting the unlock button. Then I stopped playing.

I like the Angry Birds sound effects, and feel they're suited here. It is one of the things that keeps the game cartoony moreso than gruesome.

I like the approach to the graphics and the character design. They are certainly reminiscent of Minigore, and the bar scene alone shows more consideration for this than many iOS games in their entirety.

And I still believe that despite the lack of fine tuning in courses, the game has some great mechanics. I can only assume this is why a level editor was included, but I didn't pick this up looking to supply my own entertainment.

As always, it's hard to get too irate when a game cost a mere .99 and even if all one gets out of Bike Baron is the first handful of stages, surely it was money well spent. But on principle--it falls short of being one of those endearing must-have titles that was my first reaction.

14. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Can anyone help with the last jump at Cattube.dog? I'm having trouble going over the bomb and staying under the loop ceiling without crashing into either.

15. sweetdiss

Jun 15, 2009
    This I agree with. Amazing game, incredible value, but the harder levels are just beyond tedious and frustrating. The easy and medium levels are some of the most fun I've had on my iDevices...

16. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Your review is basically a rant on how tough this game is. I agree with that. The game needs some new easy/intermediate level update. The devs could just rehash some of the user created levels, take permissions and package it and provide 'em to players. There should also be a star for completing a course by default, so that no one runs out of stars to play through the levels. And heaven knows completing hard levels merits a pat on the back. In hard levels, I think I would like a few more checkpoints to atleast make the coin collecting a little simpler. That should give a nice balance of levels to satisfy both the casual player and players who like overcoming punishment.

Where I do not agree with you is timed trials. The time is more than sufficient to achieve, if you manage a good run. Physics are not random and you need to get a sense where to tilt how much, and where to accelerate, and managing a good run is not very difficult at least till medium levels. If someone has a problem with even a basic level of difficulty, then this genre is not really for that person.

BTW... have you tried user created levels? i wish it were possible more seamlessly through the game, but it's worth the effort. Stay away from the sadists though... they have created a few messy levels i hear.

17. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Doesn't work for me. There's a weird bump preventing me from getting to the bottom smoothly.

18. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    We need A LOT more of these easy intermediate levels. The hard and extreme levels are great if we are provided with a gentler learning curve where we get to learn how to control the bike in various ways first. The current situation is that we are supposed to jump straight from easy levels into difficult ones, the 3 finger method to climb the pyramid comes to mind, only to have the bomb bridge and 3 spikes later... We might not find it so frustrating if we experienced some of these harder sections at earlier levels.

19. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Father Vladimir... How do i get a good run through the second stack of planks? I have achieved 40 sec trial there, but this section seems purely random