Bing Bong! - Peggle-esque, mini-golf puzzler! First screenshots + video!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by adamsidev, Apr 21, 2010.

1. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Very nice, my girlfriend is going to be very happy to see OF achievements. When is this hoping to be submitted?

2. JohnnyB1981

JohnnyB1981 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    This looks great - just went through the whole thread.

At first, I had thoughts similar to others about being able to control the speed of your shots, but after thinking about it, I do like the way you're doing it better. Personally, iBlast Moki came to mind for me when Devilishly Good mentioned the idea of varying shot strength, but the thing I don't like about that type of system is that sometimes the real challenge becomes adjusting your shot strength without changing your aim. This way, you become familiar with how fast your ball travels after a while, and the rest is all about aiming (i.e. you know for sure what direction your ball is going, or what it will hit first at the very least).

One other little thing I thing I noticed was about the Rebound orb. From the description, I thought that the ball would bounce off of it, similar to Peggle... but I had to watch the video several times and pause a few times to see the effect, because it looked to be travelling straight through it like the normal orbs. So, I guess it's really redirecting the ball?

Anyway, looks like a great game. I'll be following this, looking forward to it. Good luck!

3. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    #23 adamsidev, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
    I don't have a release date in mind, just as soon as possible! :) There's only me working on it and I don't get as much time as I'd like! I've started getting the train to work instead of driving now though, so I get at least 2hrs a day extra to work on it :D

My plan is to get everything finished except the actual levels, and I'm getting there now! I'll then switch to making all the levels, testing etc. Hopefully not too long!

Thanks for the interest and following this thread!

Ad

4. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Thanks! Glad you're liking what you see!

Exactly my thinking! I want the emphasis to be on working out the puzzle/strategy for each level without the frustration of thinking "ok, I think that was the right shot, but maybe slightly the wrong power". I'm going for more of a fast paced arcade feel.

They do rebound as you're describing, in the video it was a glancing hit so the Disc's direction only got slightly changed. I'll make another little video when I get chance to show it clearly :)

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback and impressions!

Ad

5. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Looks amazing! How many levels are going to be in the game? Also, estimated cost? Can't wait for this.

6. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I'm aiming for 40 initially, but that may change depending on game length time. I plan to support the game with free updates including new levels + gameplay features.

As I'm moving towards level creation I'm making an in-game level editor at the moment. I might include this as part of the game if it's something people would be interested in? And If I can figure out a good way of sharing levels :)

7. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    40 levels sounds excellent mate. Great to hear.

8. nikhsterboi

Yes 40 sounds great! Also a level editor would also be awesome

9. nikhsterboi

Any updates?

10. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Just working on the level editor at the moment so I can make the rest of the levels faster :) Nothing new to report just yet!

It's Beta deadline week at work so not been getting home till 11pm for last couple of weeks so not had as much time for Bing Bong as I'd like! :( Hopefully that'll change next week! :D

11. nikhsterboi

I'm still with ya! Take as much time as you want! :)

12. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Just another quick update to say I'm still alive :)

My day job has been my day+night job recently, but with the time I've had, the in-game level editor is nearly done, so I'm now able to make levels much more easily!

The level editor probably won't be included in the initial release as there's no support for sharing levels etc yet and at this point it's mainly for my own use. I'd rather just get the game out first and add it in as an update later :)

Anyway... here's a screenshot of a level in the edit mode just to show something new ;)

[​IMG]

13. nikhsterboi

Looks nice! Good progress!

14. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Looking great mate, keep up the good work.

15. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Update:

The old red Speed Orbs have now become blue Speed Orbs:

[​IMG]

This is so I can use the Red coloured orbs for a new orb type, which does this to your Disc should you be unfortunate enough to hit one:

[​IMG]

;)

16. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    NICE! Hazards are always good (unless you end up hitting them >.>).

17. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    #37 adamsidev, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
    Just a few more pics :)

The orbs in these levels move/spin around, though that's obviously hard to see in a picture ;)

Working towards a preview build at the moment!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    You're doing a great job there mate. Are you getting more and more happy with how the game is turning out, the more you work on it?

19. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010

Cheers!

Yep, I'm pleased with it, I enjoy playing it so hopefully you guys will :D

Just finished another, longer preview video and I'm going to get in touch with Touch Arcade and see if they're interested in it, fingers crossed! ;)

20. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Definitely, fingers crossed for you here mate. Looking forward to seeing the video!