Universal Bladeslinger - (by Kerosene)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks for feedback squarezero and relyes! Cannot wait for this title... Hope testing will goes fine!

2. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    True. I hope it'll be along the lines of epoch and infinity blades IAP, where it's available but not necessary. Guess well find out soon enough. Good to see this is so close to release though. I'm looking forward to sanuku's video, concrete details have been pretty scarce about how the mechanics in this one work (far as I could tell anyway).

3. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Ontopic:

Played through the first Chapter. Also I liked what I have seen so far the current Control System really would either need a Re-Work or what I would prefer, a second Option where I could switch it to an Classic System similar to Gameloft Virtual-Joystick Heaven.

Besides that:

[​IMG]

Offtopic:

The List is actually longer then you might think it is.

4. picoro

picoro Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    works fine on iphone 4 to.

5. _syd

_syd Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Italy
    Tried it, played only the first battle, it runs smooth on ipod 4g ios 5.0.1. The graphics are very very good ( I let you imagine how beautiful they will be on a newer device). Can't say about IAP, too early to give opinions on them, but I don't see a lot in the shop, so this might be a good sign.
    The battle sees your character moving ( you're not standing on a point like infinity blade) , shooting and attacking with a sword. You can also swipe to roll. It is very smooth, so I think ipod 4 runs well this game.
    A questions to others who have the game: when I click the icon with the arm in the menu, the app crashes, Is it the same for you?

6. skeerup

skeerup Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    #26 skeerup, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    Bout 10 mins into it. Its ok. Controls are a little bit clunky. Not all parts of "the store" are available yet. Somewhat boring so far, walk a little, fight a couple "monsters", move along, fight some more, move, shoot some, move along. Good graphics. Runs smooth on 4s. Im assuming that all can be upgraded and purchased by playing over levels. Seems ok being a beta. Hopefully they will add more fighting on each level.

Just ended a battle with somewhat of a finishing move. Basically, trace the patterns on the screen to excecute.

7. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    The First Chapter (and 1/2)

I highly recommend you all check this out if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1wzxG3y27k&feature=plcp (watch in HD)

The controls are not a lazy port of a console-style analog controller. They're designed exclusively for touch input, and with just a little practice, it should feel MUCH better than analog controls possibly could. Imagine a slashing mechanic in combat combined with both hands needed for navigation with an iPad. It doesn't work. That's why we went with a one-handed input design leveraging lots of multi-touch and gestures. Bladeslinger has the freedom of movement you want in a high-end game, with combat controls that feel natural and intuitive on a touchscreen device. Sorry if this is a disappointment, but you won't see dual virtual analog controls on this game. But Gameloft has a LOT of those that you can play :p

Keep playing Bladeslinger and we think you'll like it more and more. There's a real skill progression curve to it all...movement and combat, and a strategy layer based on how you allocate your resources to complement your preferred play style.

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

8. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

I don`t really care that much about the Control System at the current Point. I just beliving that a lot might turn away from the Game if it doesn`t just have more then a couple of possible Ways to set the Control System up or at least switch between those for the beginning.

So far I have only played the Game only for a couple of Minutes (Chapter One) and definitly will play it the upcoming Days a bit more to see how I get used to the choosen Control System.

9. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Well I realy hoped that BS would have IB combat system, but this will not happen. To much of acrobatics I think.

10. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
  11. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Mos def, and good examples of decent models. I'd settle for persistent IAPs if nothing else... Here's hoping!;)

DBC

12. ironsam80

Dec 14, 2010
    How long is the game for a normal player in a middle difficulty?

13. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Good note, Sanuku.

We may offer an option to render something under your finger (single touch) that indicates the direction you're moving the player. It feels pretty intuitive, so we didn't think it necessary, and it's nice not to draw any UI on top of the world, but this could be an option worth adding in for an update.

We've also talked about exposing multiple sensitive settings, and that may help some players get used to the navigation controls more quickly, and help players that want more responsive feedback speed things up a little too.

We also spaced the tutorial out over the first chapter (and a little into Ch.2), because 1) the controls (combat and navigation combined) aren't simple...there's definitely a skill curve and 2) we hate being bombarded by tutorial lessons early on in games. We want to play!

Looking forward to your thoughts when you've had more time to play :)

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

14. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

You are welcome. Yes, as already said the Control System isn`t really that much of a Problem since you are getting pretty fast used to it but I could imagine that it could be for someone else that doesn`t have that much patience if it comes to it :)

15. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    That's one of the things that will shake out of balancing the difficulty properly in this limited release, but our expectation is that playing through the full story on the first difficulty will take most players 4-5 hours. It can be done faster, but even with a fully-leveled up speed run, it's many hours long.

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

16. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Good to hear. And yeah, this won't be a game for everyone, given the skill curve of the combat and controls + complexity, but we wanted to build a mobile game that would really satisfy mid-core and hardcore gamers. We built it for ourselves :)

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

17. ironsam80

Dec 14, 2010
    Fair enough :)

18. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    #39 gemineye62, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    Okay,

I played quite a few battles and upgraded my health twice in order to
    keep my health as high as possible to battle as long as I could.

Phew! My forearm is getting sore from all the swiping and tap dodging.

I really found the battles outside to be more fun than the indoor battles.
    At least there is more room to dodge. I began to dread the indoor fights
    very quickly. "Oh, no. Another door with a symbol leading to monsters."
    Some fights can be frustrating. The tap / swipes do not always register.
    Many times, I would be tapping and the "trace this symbol" would come up, only to disappear , as I tapped accidentally during my fights, so
    I lost out on the special attack.

I really do not like the camera at all. I wish it would stay positioned behind the
    hero at all times. And getting hit by off screen monsters as you try to dodge is also not very fun.

In time, you may get used to the fighting engine. There does seem to be some skill involved here. But when the battles begin to be hectic ,using controls not
    so user friendly, I begin to question why I am not playing something more
    enjoyable.

"This should be a fun game," I thought," but I'm really not looking forward to going into this next room." That's when I went in and died twice during the battles. Could the developer not have the camera pulled back a bit so you can see all the monsters better and be able to feel like you have some kind of control
    dodging and attacking?

In the end, bumping into walls trying to dodge, and getting hit
    by off screen monsters really is not my cup of tea I guess.

19. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    First of all thanks a lot for the free release!
    (I dusted off my Canadian account :) )

The game looks impressive and i'm really fond of the controls. The flow between exploration and combat is very fluid that way. Got easily used to it during the tutorial chapter.
    Even could use two thumps for the two finger controls parts, which made holding the iPad a breeze while playing. But, for now it doesn't seem so feasible for dodging which is kinda a shame, but no biggie as it plays good holding it with one hand and using the other for controlling. More on that after some more time with the game.

So, very promising game so far! Looking forward to delve deeper into it.