Universal Bladeslinger - (by Kerosene)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 29, 2012.

1. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Agreed, it needs balancing. Without potions it takes 9-10 minutes to get 1 shard, 4 shards = 40 minutes excluding barman which is way over the 20 min time limit. I think it's okay if the game forces us to use a few potions to complete chapter 5, but it's a problem if I need to take 15 minutes to complete it by using potions on every single monster.

The ingame leaderboard is on the home screen with "Continue" and "Chapters" in it. There should be 2 icons on the top right of that screen, one for mailing the devs and the other is the leaderboard.

2. ruggedland

ruggedland Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
  3. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    #543 shoi, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
    I've finished Chapter 3 and was presented with the screen to choose to go to chapter 4 or go back to the menu screen. Having read that thread about the bug, I went back to the menu screen.
    now, a few questions:

- Is stopping chapter 4 in the middle of it leads to this bug 100% of the time?
    if not, what are the factors that could produce it?

- When the update will arrive?

- How long does the Chapter 4 take to finish?

4. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Hey everyone, thanks again the comments and feedback. We wanted to let you know that we have a new version in the queue with Apple right now that should address nearly every issue we've heard about. We won't have an alt. control scheme ready in this update yet, but possibly in January. In the meantime, we really hope you all continue to play and enjoy the game. We're going to continue polishing and updating with new content for months to come ;)

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

5. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Will there be new features? Corrupted mode? Armor?

6. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Great news! Is there a camera fix in this update? (The recent IGN review of Bladeslinger describes the issue rather vividly.)

7. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    No Corrupt difficulty or Armor in this update. Probably not till January for those...but we have cool stuff planned for more content :)

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

8. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Funny, the IGN reviewer bought second wind and had an enjoyable experience, which fits with just about everyone else who either saved enough for it or who bought it with IAPs, while those who refused to get it (see pocketgamer review) had a horrible time and didn't have the patience or money to go much deeper than the surface stuff, resulting in a crappy experience.

Again, one is left wondering why something like this is the defining factor in whether the game leaves a good or bad impression on players. Hopefully there's something for this in the new update. Otherwise, I guess I'll be happy with whatever comes down the appstore pipeline, since i'm still playing the game in its current state.

9. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    We did some work to alleviate the camera awkwardness in tight quarters, primarily by drastically improving the enemy indicators to support earlier warnings of attack and automatic evasion.

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

10. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    #550 shoi, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
    the update could arrive like this week or in one month so...
    Am I supposed to stop playing the game for now as I will enter the Chapter 4?

As for the game

Major problems:

- ennemies are all the same
    - battles take too long

The 2 put together makes the game kinda boring.
    I just think to myself, oh no, yet the same 4 ennemies to fight for 10 minutes(it might be less but it does really feel THAT long)

- the way each item influence the game difficulty should be reevaluated

As I was reading the thread I got the Infinite Autoregeneration very early in the game.
    Without it, it would have been impossible...

Annoying problem:

- voice acting is not really good

I'd rather have subtitles than hearing their performance.
    An other good point of subtitles is that you can play the game without headphones, which can be useful sometimes.

Minor problems:

- only shards are hidden

It could have been nice to put some hidden potions/treasures/collectables to find in between the battles.
    It would add a nice replay value.

- help screen has been only thought for iPhone

too small.

- bugs

I still don't see the sliders on the volume setting page (if it is the UI, that sucks)...

I don't see the leaderboard...

Chapter 4...

As for the controls

it's not that bad, I wish they stopped with the double fingers scheme especially for blocking on the iPhone(might be ok on the iPad though)

Graphics

Wonderful

Even if the regeneration animation with stars of all colors around the character contrast too much with the ambiance of the game.

In the end

Unless the chapter 4 offers something very new, it is quite boring for now so 3/5 and I could not recommand it.
    Also, it really feels like the game was developped with mostly the iPad in mind.

Too bad as the game could have been really really nice...
    I would have paid 6$ for an IAP free version and a bit more variation in the ennemies with shorter battles(3min max per battle set is short enough to be enjoyable and wanting you to do that one last battle that leads to the next one and the next one and the next one)

11. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Thanks domsil! We're working like mad to make it better all the time!

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

12. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Good feedback, shoi! I think a lot of what you're saying is valid. We'd definitely like to get more enemy variety in the game, and we're working on that sort of thing now.

However, there's a lot of variety in the game right now based on how you *choose* to play it! In fact, if you want a $6 premium (no IAP) game with more variety in the combat instead, I'd highly recommend spending $3 on IAP and see how some upgrades and mastered techniques change the gameplay, making the battles shorter and more varied. You certainly won't *need* to spend any more on IAP, or an on IAP in the first place if you're ok with playing through the chapters carefully to find the soul stone fragments, and study the combat system so you don't take too much damage.

The above aside, we've done a bunch of rebalancing in this update to make currency drops more plentiful, and the difficulty ramp a little more new-player-friendly. IAPs should be even less tempting than they are now, but that's ok to us because we really just want people to play through the game and enjoy it. We don't want to nerf it and kill the challenge, but it was a bit too tough in the v1.0.0 that we launched with IMO, especially in the first 2 chapters. We're dialing it back on the initial "Normal" difficulty setting a little...

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

13. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Hey Brrobotix... yeah, we definitely didn't nail the difficulty balance in v1. That's been a big focus in the update that's in Apple's queue right now, fixing some of the holes and making the difficulty ramp smoother for new players, particularly in Chapters 1 and 2. It's still a challenging game, just more balanced and with more safety nets and hints to make sure players are getting the controls and the combat system adequately enough to succeed in later chapters.

Really glad you're liking the game despite some of the imbalance. These are really difficult things to test properly, even in a lengthy beta! There's nothing like getting a community like TouchArcade's users to really kick the tires and tell us what's good and what still needs work ;)

We have months of updates planned for Episode 1 yet, and we're probably going to be jamming right through the holidays trying to get as much as we can folded into updates as possible for you guys. Thanks for hanging with us and sharing your thoughts!

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

14. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Okay I tried max charged fist (stun enemies below 50% hp - don't always work though) and static rounds (which do the most damage out of all cards), shortened my time to 19 minutes to get 3 shards in chapter 5 plagued using only health potions. It MIGHT be doable if there are other tips to maximising damage output over time or if max charged fist can successfully stun enemies 100% of the time.

15. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I don't like IAP so I will not use them (kind of a principle I've decided to follow after some bad experience) but I hope the next updates will bring more fun with more ennemies.

With Infinite regeneration the game is not that hard in fact but I guess it takes longer to win so mastering the controls is certainly the way to go.

I need to experience the rebalancing in the next update but offering an Infinite "semi-regeneration" card right from the start could help and offers the right balance(easier than now but harder than with the full version, just enough to allow to master early on in the game a more offensive -read fun- fighting style).

By the way, I've decided to power up the gun so I tap a lot, might not be the best choice though lol.

Well, looking forward for the next update!

PS: subtitles please!

16. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Nice!

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

17. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Thanks, shoi! Subtitles are definitely on the list! :)

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

18. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    #558 Brrobotix, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    Good idea with the weakened second wind card. Your spirit is kinda useless at the outset of the game anyway, this could definitely help. Another idea could be to find techniques hidden in the game world, and level them up with gold/tokens, and remove the whole using gold to buy cards thing altogether. That would make it much more of a dynamic system in my mind, and allow upgrading your techniques to compete with upgrading the gun/blade/etc.

19. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Nice!

Unfortunately, I've encountered the no-spawning monster bug in chapter 5 when I go to the mine, there's noone.
    I guess I'll need to wait for the update.
    I've sent my savedData in case anyway.

20. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco