Universal Bladeslinger - (by Kerosene)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Superatomic

Superatomic Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You have verified this will work on regular iphone4?

2. ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Based on _syd's experience that performance appears to be acceptable on the A4 and the problem is lack of RAM, I'm curious if you think the iPhone 4 will eventually be officially supported? It's 512MB of RAM would presumably eliminate the crashes.

3. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Wow! Glad you're liking it!!

Really curious to hear your thoughts after you've had more time to play with the controls. You're right I think, that a dual virtual analog control system would allow more freedom (camera + movement) in pure navigation, but this becomes a big problem when you're then in combat, right? What do you do? Touch a virtual button to attack? To block? To dodge? We think that's an awful experience and lazy design.

We want the combat to really feel visceral to touch input to feel natural with real skill progression. I think we've nailed that part. To do that, we had to design a system where you move the character around the world with the same kind of freedom, but only one hand on the screen (we didn't want switching from one hand to two hands and back again every time there was a battle). This necessitated a follow camera, which is always tricky make feel good. However, I think once you learn the combat controls, you appreciate how slick the navigation controls are as a 2nd but still very important priority element of the overall game.

Thanks for the thoughts on this again, though. We're really listening and we want to make the game as good as it can be. I think we're in new territory for touch-input design with this level of movement freedom and combat depth, but hopefully players will appreciate that while uncomfortable at first, sometime new is better.

Next time we'll do this for sure. This is once thing that was really cool in Horn, but still very hard to do in mobile games of this quality.

Having just finished Chapter 2 (or nearly so), the story and variety are really just starting to emerge. Much more of both in store :)

Thanks, killercow! Again, keep playing and definitely spend some time experimenting with techniques and upgrades when you get the chance. There's lots of variety in the game to be discovered :)

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

4. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    iPhone 4 has been right on the bubble from the beginning, but we think we will have it at global launch.

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

5. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Bladeslinger does run currently on an iPhone 4, it's just not as performant as we'd like to really be proud of and call a supported device officially yet. Curious what iPhone 4 owners that give it a try will think...

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

6. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    _syd, when the developer set out to make this game, it was targeting only the highest-end devices on the market. I think at that time, that was the iPad 2 and iPhone 4. But we were also anticipating future devices being even more powerful, and capable of running a much more detailed game. We tried to scale the experience on those very high end devices, to live up to their potential and push the bar even higher for mobile gaming, and also work capable on "current gen" devices that we had in 2011.

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

7. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#67 killercow, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    Well the way I see it is that it's not needed outside of exploration as the combat system is pretty straightforward and well done in terms of controls.
    But you could do it like that when you're not in combat:
    -Invisible stick on the left side to move your character, right side lets you move the camera around.
    This would be better for me at least. It's not a deal breaker but it does feel awkard sometimes though.

Will do :)

8. _syd

_syd Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Italy
    Thanks again for your answer. Really hope this game does well, because I've played it for a little time, but it was a great experience. I hope I'll enjoy the game fully when I upgrade to another device. Good luck with your game! :)

9. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Thanks!!

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

10. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Also a tip/request for the international release:

Include gamecenter and achievements

11. Danz060391

Danz060391 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Piano teacher
    New Zealand
    I was one of the few who got selected to beta test this game. What really pissed me off is that they sent us the first beta build with the first 2 chapters and promised another build (which never arrived) We told them what was wrong and gave our feedback. They took all those ideas and put them in the game, but they all of a sudden went silent. No news of a new build or anything. This was over a month ago and then it mysteriously releases in Canada now. I think us testers deserve a little bit of info for all our hard work.

12. markc1979

markc1979 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Playing the game now. Its pretty awesome. Shooting and fist fighting enemys. So cool.

13. markc1979

markc1979 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Im playing on iphone 4 right now. Runs great.

14. Loganaustin

Loganaustin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    So are they going to do the global release anytime soon?

15. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    glad I have a Canadian account :D Did not expect to see this game for release today.

I will be playing later but how is everybody finding the game so far, awesome game?? Just don't have to time to read all the pages right now.

16. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    I'm really sorry we did a poor job with communication to you and other beta testers. As you say, we definitely listened to all your feedback about the game and worked out butts off to make the game better as a result of your contribution and feedback. We should have done a better job letting you know that we appreciated this, and when plans changed (as often happens in game dev) re: beta 2, we should have let you guys know what to expect for the remainder of the beta cycles.

Let me say this is not the fault of the developer (Luma Arcade). This is my fault (Kerosene, the publisher). We tried to coordinate it all, but we were stretched very thin at one point juggling requests for one-off builds for QA and other partners. You deserved better, and next time we will do better. We will follow up with you and the other testers as we should have sooner ASAP.

Please feel free to send me a mail (brett@) if you have other feedback (positive or negative) about the experience of being a beta tester for Bladeslinger.

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

17. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Haha! Glad you're liking it. Nothing like throwing an electric fist into monster heads to blow off some steam :p

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

18. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Soon indeed! 2-4 weeks I think (Apple approval times, bug fixing, balancing etc.)

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

19. jetlitheone

jetlitheone Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Want this. But not Canadian -.-

20. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Hang in there! You won't have to wait long, and the update will be worth it.

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com