Bladeslinger

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Sep 28, 2011.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    This is not the place to discuss Dead Trigger (or any other game besides Bladeslinger).

2. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    So squarezero, do you have any info from the dev that you can reveal? Is the beta going ok, so will see this game soon?

3. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #203 Rip73, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
    Don't want to get involved in the argument that came up here but Beta testers should note that it is frowned upon by developers when said beta testers reveal anything about a game they are testing on public forums or to anyone other than the developer.
    It can be very damaging to the marketing strategy and to the games reputation even before release.
    It can also affect whether you get asked or accepted to beta test again, no matter who you are.
    And I've no interest in annoying or pointing an accusation at anyone, just try to keep any beta test comments for the developer. Please.

4. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    #204 relyes, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    The game world is very large. Even in a speed run, there are several hours of gameplay and a good deal of variety in the environment. Unlike a lot of games that give you a lot of content, you're not just running in prettied up rectangles either. The world has layers and layers of detail at the ground level, rooms, caverns & mines, etc. etc. However, it's not a sandbox open world game. While not on rails from a navigation standpoint, and while not totally linear from a progression standpoint, there is a larger linear story arc that colors the universe and characters with detail as you progress.

We want to continue to extend Bladeslinger's story in both past and future tenses, so we hope you enjoy the introduction to this story that came from our imaginations and experiences with other worlds of fiction. It's a project of passion for the developers, and we can't wait for you all to play it!

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

5. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Got a cool surprise coming for you guys shortly (gameplay footage!) ...just waiting on my slow video editing skills! Stay tuned!

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

6. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Is there a NDA? If so, you might want to refrain from it. Unless you're a dev. Otherwise, I'd advise against it unless you have permission.

Also, you spoiled the surprise. Nice going. :rolleyes:

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Considering that his signature links to the developer's website, I would say it's a safe bet that's he's associated with the developers...

8. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Excellent. Looking forward to some new footage.

9. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Didn't spy that. Thanks for catching it.

10. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    I'm with Kerosene Games. We're publishing Bladeslinger. So yes, deets are legit :D "professorzu" (Matt) is on the team too. Luma Arcade (the developer) are busy cranking away on QA right now. And I've got a video to share with you probably sometime tomorrow (rendering!).

Cheers & stay tuned!

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

11. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the patience everyone! Hope you're all having a fantastic weekend :)

Without further ado, here's a work-in-progress video capture from the first chapter and a half of Bladeslinger. I highly recommend watching this in HD on Youtube (can't see how to embed anything other than SD here).

A few comments about the video...

* we captured this using Reflection, and the quality of the image is significantly degraded from what you actually see on device. there are more frame hits and stutters from this overhead than in the actual game.
    * we're not 100% complete yet, but we're actively beta testing these builds with users from this community, and we're feeling very close to iOS submission ready.

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

12. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    P.S. Bladeslinger for iOS will run on iPhone 5 and the new generation of iPod Touch as well as iPhone 4/4S, iPad 2, and the new iPad. The video was captured from a new iPad.

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

13. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    So it's not on iPad 1? :'( that's a real shame

14. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

It looks good! Couple of things though:
    -Is the voice acting definitive?
    -No lyp sinc in the final version?
    -how many chapters?

Thanks!

15. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    Looks cool. The only thing that worries me is the camera angles during combat. Do you need to move the camera during combat or is it automatic?

16. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    #216 relyes, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    We think so. There are a few VO lines / scenes that we may still touch prior to release, but most of the VO work is final. What did you think?

Unfortunately not. This is one of those features that's pretty tricky to do in mobile and especially on a mobile budget. Horn did a great job on this front, but we decided to focus more on the core action and controls, as well as the overall story & progress. Would love to do this in future mobile games though!

There are currently 6 chapters and hours of gameplay :)

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

17. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    It's all automatic during combat.

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

18. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Yeah, we were a little bummed about that too. We'd have to degrade the graphics considerably to even come close. iPhone 4 was on the bubble, and iPad 1 has more pixels with the same hardware.

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com

19. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    #219 Darth Nihilus, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    So i can see the in the fight sections you can move freely on the "arena" but, what it concerns me, is that, the "traveling" parts, they seem to be on rails or tap to go, is this true? or can you move freely between fights?

It looks gorgeous by the way, the atmosphere pffff amazing.

Edit: well after watching the entire video it looks like it's gonna be tap to move, which is fine by me, but now, seeing that it will not be available for iPad1, i take it the iPod touch 4 is not invited to the party either right? D:

Now that i was hyped about the game.

20. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    There's a combat and non-combat context to the controls, but both allow for full freedom of movement with the character. You can see in the video that there are some triggers on buildings that you can enter, and you can click on these from some distance away and the player will move there automatically, but you don't have to choose any of these to move. You can just navigate with complete freedom.

Thanks! Wait till you see how good it looks on device! The video does it no justice.

Brett
    @kerosenegames
    kerosenegames.com