Universal Blazing Souls Accelate (HyperDevBox) - SRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by undeadcow, Mar 9, 2013.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I haven't played Spectral Souls yet but...
    Fast app switching is supported but might close if memory needs to be allocated elsewhere. Should be good for a quick phone call.
    Spectral Souls had a launch sale but has not since reduced in price; everyone waiting on a Blazing Souls sale will likely be on hold for a very long time.

2. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    lol, his attitude isn't killing excellent ios gaming. What's killing ios gaming is the thousands upon thousands of available titles at .99. What's killing ios gaming is how easy it is to pirate them. Some guy saying "it's kinda expensive" has nothing to do with killing ios gaming.

And this game is absolutely not a borderline console game. No.

3. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Not to mention people who won't spend money on a premium title, but will get sucked in to dropping 10x the amount in a freemium game.

4. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Honestly, any of the three is a pretty good pick. I still prefer fft on nostalgic value mostly. These are pretty close in quality though. Watch some YouTube videos of them all and see what resonates with you the most.

5. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    I almost beat this on the Psp despite the terrible wrap that scene gave the game as far as how the hype sized it up beforehand ....and on droid I do remember hearing about a major bug of some sort..I really would like this on my iPad but a game like this really needs my attention and I'm not sure if I can commit to this again...I would however like to see Generation of Chaos 3 on my iphone5 it's a great mobile game in my opinion and would work well with the iPhone and a touchscreen ...(not sure if idea factory made that series though)...

Anyhow can anyone who got past the first boss comment on the game plz?

6. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I really wanna play this cuz it looks awesome but I got my butt handed to me on the 3rd level of the first game and gave up. I'm into games like FF Tactics and all that but I can't seem to figure this one out...

7. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    Why two touch arcade user rating this game with one star!? Any inssues or bugs detected!?

8. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Just stick with it...it's not a easy game by any means...take different routes, and realize the battle system is not your average STRPG outfit...try diff combos and stuff....it's a long hard road my friend...there are a few decent guides it there too.

9. C. Stubb

C. Stubb Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    ...Living.
    On Earth.
    FFT for sure. Not only is it the untouchable original, the plot of FFT:WOTL is fantastic. If you were going to download one, I would definitely go with FFT, and if you find you like the gameplay, then Spectral Souls would be a good follow-up.

10. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Curious about this too

11. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Read a bunch of reviews for psp and android

The consensus is that this game is flawed beyond redemption. The word 'mess' was used more than once.

12. mcamp

mcamp Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    You would all do well to research reviews of the PSP version. Most of them are not positive. Nor are many reviews of the Android version positive. Spectral Souls looks high quality, but looks can be deceiving. It is widely considered to be a bottom-of-the-barrel SRPG.

Anyone debating whether to play this or Final Fantasy Tactics is asking a laughable question. FFT is a genre defining classic, and still one of the best games the genre has to offer, even so many years later. iOS is the worst place to play it, but if that's all you have then its still not a bad proposition.

Spectral Souls is a B-rate SRPG from a B-rate Japanese developer, the sort of game you pick up only if you're a genre diehard and you've played everything else out there.

And there are a number of better SRPGs on iOS anyway. Ravenmark, for example.

If you really want to dig into this genre, though, pick up a NDS, PSP or PS Vita. Those systems are busting to the gills with quality SRPGs. I've played most of them, and they're all better than Spectral Souls.

13. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    well said indeed my friend....nds was my starting point for STRPG games....lots of really life changing games on that platform

14. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    I was going to pick up final fantasy tactics but all reviews state there are tons of crashes. Is that still the case? I'm on latest ipad

15. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I've got Spectral Souls on Android but I couldn't get into it. I found it very confusing to play. I'll be passing on this one. I have FFT and its excellent.

16. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    What ate you playing it on? Everything I read says it crashes all the time mid game.

17. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    On ipad 3. Haven't had any problems so far.

18. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    I play on a 4s and there are times FFT crashes. That being said, it seems like all iOS titles do sometimes. I just learned to make sure I save after every battle, only takes a few seconds. FFT is great though. I've owned multiple copies of it through the years and to date is the mos expensive iOS title I bought, it was worth it

19. Reluctant Sloth

Jan 30, 2013
    I beat FFT on my iphone 4. I never crashed once? Maybe I was just lucky. Regardless, anyone deciding betweens souls and FFT needs to leave this page and go buy FFT now :)

20. HyperDevbox

HyperDevbox Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Game development studio
    Tokyo
    I'll do my best to answer questions I can.
    1. If I minimize the game and leave it running in the background, then relaunch it, will it continue in the same spot?
    Yes. As someone mentioned earlier, as long as you have enough memory to keep the game running minimized, iOS should take care of it and it will come back up when you load the game up again.

2 and 3 I didn't play SS, do I need to? As others have asked, are there significant changes from SS that make this game so much better that I should skip SS?
    It's not necessary to play Spectral Souls first. However, Spectral Souls is more beginner friendly and the battle system shares many of the same mechanics, so it's very easy to transition from game to game. That being said, Blazing Souls is much deeper and focuses a lot more on the battle system.

4. Did the full SS unlock ever fluctuate in price?
    We have sales every once in a while, but they're quite rare. I couldn't say exactly when the next sale will be, but I imagine since Blazing Souls was just released, there won't be a sale immediately.