Universal Blazing Souls Accelate (HyperDevBox) - SRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by undeadcow, Mar 9, 2013.

1. HyperDevbox

HyperDevbox Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Game development studio
    Tokyo
    Indeed, this is a port of the PSP game of the same name. This game series did meet with criticism in the west, and a lot of PSP users will say the game was flawed. However, many thought it was an good series on PSP, and it's quite a bit easier (and faster) to play via touch on the iOS. In addition, we fixed a a bunch of glitches/bugs, enhanced the graphics, and tweaked the balancing of the game quite a bit. The game does has a little bit of a learning curve, and focuses more on its battle system than Spectral Souls did, but it's much easier to get sucked into once you get the hang of it. We think if you give it an honest shot, you may find a full length SRPG that beats most other iOS RPGs.

As for the universe itself: Ideafactory titles (especially in Japan) are considered one of the largest, deepest RPG creators around. Check out their site (Japanese only, I'm afraid): http://www.ideaf.co.jp/ and you'll see a large breadth of titles available.

2. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    1. Is a quick save function coming in future updates?

2.Minimizing does work depending on the memory? So it's a 50/50 chance for the game to self exit?

Without a quick save, which is the most basis, it hard for me to throw in the money lolz.

3. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

I can't answer for #1, but #2 applies to any and all iOS apps. The iOS system manages memory automatically, and makes sure it's available to whichever app is currently (or more recently) running. Most programs drop down into a near-standby state when minimized, but even that takes memory. Open enough apps and even Safari or the Appstore shuts down if it's at the back of the queue.

4. jacknicklson

jacknicklson Member

Apr 4, 2012
    There are ways around this
    Fft uses a quick save every time you exit the app

I played spectral souls for a good 50+ hours and had few issues but my schedule has changed recently and quick save would be key for me. Even user initiated quick safe in battle would be appreciated.

Dev,

Is Generation of Chaos in the pipeline,
    Loved that game and you're technical improvements probably made the game even better on android?

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Generation of Chaos? Now I'd buy that one instantly!

6. HyperDevbox

Jul 12, 2012
    Game development studio
    Tokyo
    As strivemind said to #2 above, it currently works the same as most iOS apps. The iOS system manages the memory automatically, and makes sure it's available to whichever app is most recently running. If you minimize the game to make a quick phone call or check your mail, it should be fine. But if you minimize it for a long browsing session in Safari or play a different memory intensive game/app, iOS may drop it out of memory.

As jacknicklson said, for the most part, you'll probably have few issues as long as you're aware of the minimized state.

We're still investigating how to implement a special quick save function, but due to how the original game engine works, it seems to be much more complex than anticipated.

In regards to Generation of Chaos... if there is enough positive interest, we'd be more than happy to bring it over to iOS :)

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Count me in for Generation of Chaos!

8. jacknicklson

jacknicklson Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Well if buying your 2 games is what we have to do
    You have/had my positive interest
    :D

9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Sounds like we need to make a petition or something for this!

I honestly think it'll be easier to recommend GoC to new players because even for me, the Soul series was difficult to master. People may have trouble spending money on something they think they might not figure out. GoC seems to be quicker to learn and it's very different than what you can find on the app store right now with real time fighting / strategy. I'd even pay more for that game than the Soul series. Please port it! :D

10. HyperDevbox

Jul 12, 2012
    Game development studio
    Tokyo
    @jacknicklson and we sincerely thank you for your support and positive interest! :)

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If not Generation of Chaos; what was the teasing about "more to come soon" beyond Blazing Souls?!!

12. HyperDevbox

Jul 12, 2012
    Game development studio
    Tokyo
    We shall continue to tease until we're allowed to make a public announcement ;)

But for now... we whet your appetite with Blazing Souls Accelate :)

13. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    So, what is "Accelate" supposed to mean, anyway?

14. NoblesseDePadraig

NoblesseDePadraig New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    California
    Is this for Ipad only? or is there a iphone version?

15. HyperDevbox

Jul 12, 2012
    Game development studio
    Tokyo
    It's a universal application,so it should be optimized to run on all iPad, iPhone, and even some iPod touch devices.

What does Accelate mean? That's an excellent question. I've been told it was German (maybe?) at some point, but I still can't recall what the meaning was. Perhaps someone else can pin-point the meaning down :)

16. matthjes

matthjes Active Member

Dec 17, 2011
    It's definitely not German :) I always misread it, for me it's "Accelerate".

17. HyperDevbox

Jul 12, 2012
    Game development studio
    Tokyo
    It's entirely possible that it's a contraction of the word Accelerate in Japanese. We like to make words shorter out here (pocket monsters -> poketto monsuta- -> pokemon), especially when they're difficult or too long to say.

So it's quite likely that we went from (akuserareito -> akusereito) and simply forgot about it ;)

18. lillumultipass

May 11, 2009
    Hello,

What are the advantages and disadvantages of this game compared to FFT for instance?
    Is there something akin to FFT jobs system?
    Thanks!

19. HyperDevbox

Jul 12, 2012
    Game development studio
    Tokyo
    While I can't give any direct comparisons, I can describe a bit about some aspects of Blazing Souls Accelate.

As far as jobs, there are Classes. Once a character's level is high enough, you can change their class by completing a challenge. After having their class changed they will be given a status bonus. In addition, they will learn new original skills and their unit slot will be enhanced.

However, each character has their own unique Skills. Using these skills requires both SP and AP to be used. Although the requirements to use Original Skills are stricter than normal ones, they can be incredibly powerful.

And, the game contains Aliases which can be equipped on anyone and give them special skills. Aliases bestow such benefits as new actions, stat boosts, etc.

One of the cool things about Blazing Souls is that, in addition to normal experience, you get Party Points from finishing battles, which you can decide how to distribute them among your party to make them stronger.

A few other unique systems to Blazing Souls are its Alchemy system for creating new skills and and items, plus the Sythesis for creating new weapons.

20. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #80 Sheinfell, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    This game definitely grows on you.
    After the first few hours I was ready to put it down and book the money as wasted.
    The main reason was that it bombards you with a lot of stuff right from the start, but not much explanation about it. Example: That "yellow globe" you see in the Old Road? I spent at least an hour trying to figure out how to get it, as there is no explanation in the game at the time you first see it.
    Finally located an FAQ, which said that you need to meet specific requirements to get those globes.

So I decided to go on a bit and see if I will like it better a few hours further in.
    Enthusiastic YES to that. Once I got past the initial hurdles, Blazing Souls slowly unfolded into a good game, that looks like it could provide the 100 hours gametime (mentioned by the developer, I think) easily.

And personally, so far I like it better than FFT:
    I really tried to get into FFT, but the user interface was such a horrible mess that it made the game for me totally unenjoyable.
    B.S. could need some improvement on the UI as well, but that would be minor stuff to streamline it more (like getting rid of that annoying sound when you leave a menu with "B") , not a huge fix for one seriously broken UI like FFT would need.