Blimp - The Flying Adventures by craneballs. First gameplay video. HD!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by craneballs, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Pre scripted... sorta

there are mortars that are stationary and are in the same places when I play. There are also enemy tanks and blimps. They are able to move so they start in the same place but they are constantly moving to attack you.

2. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    #22 Prab, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
    Very polished game

Just played the tutorial.

Here are my initial impressions:

1. Immersive engaging theme throughout. The artwork is really amazing. You should really see the HD gameplay video to know what I mean. You can say that the backgrounds are similar in style to the backdrops of 7CitiedTD (painting-like).

2. The soundtrack is pretty good. It says that its designed for headphones. Using my Shure SE210, they are not as great as Zen Bound, but you can tell a lot of effort was put into the layering of all the sounds. Somehow it makes you feel that you are in some Indiana Jones movie (maybe its because of all the artwork as well). In any case, I don't mind having to download a bigger file if it means I can get an even fuller effect of the soundtrack. Not sure if they can compress it less though.

3. One additional note about sound+theme though: I find it a bit weird that the soundtrack has submarine-like sounds in it (underwater echos and radar beeps). Or maybe I'm hearing wrongly.

4. Plenty of missions. Beta has (edit: 4 levels) and actual game has 20. For the intended release price of 2.99, that's a steal (although not sure whats the length of each level. Will comment more on this next time). Level select is done by rotating a globe. A nice commendable touch and polish compared to other plain button menus you see in most games.

5. Missions (I haven't played past tutorial) consist of either destroying enemies with bombs, rescuing people, and/or collecting and dropping packets. In every mission, you should keep a look out at your upper status bar (left to right): the number of people to rescue, the number of objectives to accomplish, the number of bombs remaining, your health bar, and the remaining time to complete the level. Obstacles consist of fans that blow you away, vents shooting a wall of fire at constant intervals, and paths that you have to maneuver through. I can imagine a varied level design and a nice story the devs can weave into each level.

6. The controls are well thought out. When I first saw the video, I thought the accelerometer controls all movement. Apparently, only the movement direction is controlled by tilting (left and right). Upward thrust is done by touching the lower right of the screen and dropping bombs is done by touching the lower left of the screen. It takes a little bit of practice to get used to the controls but its workable. I find the controls not as finegrained as DropShip (which has an even higher learning curve), but then again, this is a blimp. So its supposed to be harder to control than a spacecraft lol.

Comparison with other games:
    I can only think of DropShip and Graviton that resembles this kind of game on the iTouch. DropShip levels are pretty boring after awhile and ngmoco kinda skipped the whole artwork process by making everything vectorized. I've played a little bit of Graviton but I prefer the graphic style of Blimp.

Will post more impressions after going through the levels

Edit: Craneballs, will PM you with my other comments and feedback. Thanks!

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    There are only four levels unlocked in this build
    20 levels will be available in 1.0
    More will be added in updates

The sound you are thinking of is the sound of echolocation and is not the sound in the game. It's a series of musical notes over morse code with the hum from what I can only describe as an alien space ship underneath it all. I'm using Shure e5c's with custom molding.

You really shouldn't comment about what the levels consist of when you admit that you haven't played past the tutorial.

Even though we didn't have to sign a Non Disclosure agreement you should be careful with posting more impressions as I'm sure the dev doesn't want the story and level design being spoiled for those that get the game. ;)

4. R.Antonelli

R.Antonelli Member

May 25, 2009
    Hey I PMed you my UDID. Haven't heard from you yet. Just wondering if you got it cause I can send it again.

5. andere

andere New Member

May 26, 2009
    Wow! That game looks like a blast! I would love to test for you! I'm already hooked! PM me and I'd be happy to test for you!

6. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    #26 Prab, May 26, 2009
    I'm commenting so that people can know what to expect (at the very least) out of the levels. The only caveat is that the levels could be more than what I mentioned. But definitely not less.

Thanks VeganTnT. I dont think this would be a problem. The further impressions I wanted to post was only to confirm or build on what I have already mentioned. And since only 4 levels are unlocked in the build as you mentioned, there should also be no need to worry that I will spoil all the level stories :)

My earphones are certainly not the best, but its not bad either. I'm just saying that the soundtrack is fantastic but: 1) some of the sounds seem like they are not about blimps (which can be fine), and 2) its so good that I want a higher quality soundtrack if possible :)

PS: I edited my original post so your quote has some erroneous information (e.g. number of levels in the build)

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I didn't meant for my post to sound like you have done something wrong. If it came off like that then I apologize.

I just meant that you can't say what all the levels consist of because the devs might have something special that they aren't showing us just yet. We wpn't know til the game is released. I mentioned my headphones cause they are also shure so I thought I'd share that.

I really didn't know what kind of impression you were going to do or what was going to be said. Though I'd like to think that everyone is responsible and conscious of what they write, I know that sometimes we (myself included) aren't.

I'd rather just give a friendly reminder than see someone get in trouble for something I could have prevented by just saying something, you know?

So again, my apologies is my post sounded harsh. It wasn't my intention at all

Cheers!

8. craneballs

craneballs Well-Known Member

#28 craneballs, May 26, 2009
    Hey,

thanks so much for such a great feedback!! We're glad that you like the game.

I apologize to those who hasn't received beta yet, we here in Europe have + 5 hours so I was sleeping :)

I will send new version to everybody later today.

Anyone who wants to test, PM me with your device ID and email. thanks!

9. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Oh, you did not sound harsh. No worries :D Sorry if it sounded like I thought you sounded harsh lol I don't have as much experience in beta testing as you do. So I definitely take all your advice into consideration. Thanks again :)

10. craneballs

Anybody managed to finish all levels included? can you post scores and no. of tries before you managed to finished it?

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Noraa - 23200 (2 tries)
    So-Err - 18300 (2 tries)
    Irg - 20800 (2 trries)
    Uhuruu - 23900 (4 tries)
    Zcistan -17000 (3 tries)
    Maos - 15000 ( 6 tries)

12. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Anybody get the email yet?

13. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    Heard nothing so far...

14. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    It's not an email guys it's a PM.

15. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Either way, I pm'd him with my uid and email address and it's been about 12 hours since his post about it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

16. craneballs

So more betatesting.

This one includes those users:
    prab
    goldglover411
    vegantTNT
    danny
    jack000
    chmubake
    greenro89
    rithkill
    thorevo
    rocketman
    veecheech
    shkudt
    burton
    r.antonelli
    voodovyper

all you can download the latest build of blimp beta here:
    http://blimp.craneballs.com/Blimp.zip

with instructions included

for others not included, you will be in next build. stay in touch.

thank you for your time and post a lot of impressions :)

17. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    #37 VoodooVyper, May 26, 2009
    Wow nearly 60 mb for this, and here I was thinking it was a small game :rolleyes:
    Thanks crane! Looking forward to it.

This is going to take all year to download. I have FIOS with 20mb down but the site is bottlenecking me at 20kbytes/s. :(

18. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Cool.

@Voodoo Same here bro.

19. greenro89

greenro89 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Minnesota
    yea i've been downloading for 40 min and still have 20 to go. I was also expecting a smaller game too, but can't wait!

20. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.