Universal Block Fortress - (by Foursaken Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Cooler King

Cooler King Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Mod and Tactics advice

I've put so many hours into this so far and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I've been grinding out XP and rare minerals on Survival and yet it hardly feels like a grind. With that said here are some tips to keep in mind...

Mods
    Get self powered and Salvage on MG turrets, Plasma turrets, Laser Turrets, Mine Shafts, and Mine Drills as soon as possible, with priority given to the plasma turret and mine shaft first. The self power mod is obvious but Salvage lets you freely reposition your turrets and mines every turn. That means if the waves are coming from only one or two directions then you can move mines away and move your turrets to get maximum coverage.

Detection mods always go on laser turrets. No other light source will be able to match the lasers range so this is crucial to take full advantage of its range while not having to waste too many resources on lighting.

Tactics
    Unlike real world tactics, the high ground is not your friend in this game. You want your barracks to be near the center of the map in the lowest possible area preferably with hills on all sides of you. There are two reason for this. First the Goblocks (and your power core enhanced plasma rifle) will be tearing up a lot of terrain. You don't want your base crumbling from underneath you, do you? So build it low and there's no where else to go. Secondly the Goblocks turn their backs to climb down terrain. By placing your barracks in the low ground with hills around you your turrets get free shots in the enemy's backs as they climb down.

2. ChaosProdigy

ChaosProdigy Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    There is a sense of danger now of your hero dying and needing to dodge, run, hide, heal - survive. My fear is with high lvls 1000+ hp +Armor and Stim Pack heal per second we enter God mode and then it's just a less exciting defend the base game...

3. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    I am not worried about this at all because around survival levels 30+, there are so many shadow enemies that your turrets cant get rid of, that keeping your base alive is really really really challenging.

Whomever legitimately gets to level 60 first gets my full praises. That is not gonna be easy.

4. Elixir

Elixir Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Canada.
    First post

Brought the game and I must say, I love it! Already level 36 and going up. There are still some issues though,
    -Maps could be bigger
    -Sniper is very underpowered and a pain to use
    -In QuickStart mode, shadow wall climbing ninjas appear too early and are simply too much to deal with, especially after the second and third wave. Trying to get their focus will let them number up on you and turrets ignore them completely as they go directly to your turrets and destroy them. I think they should appear in lesser numbers as it must involve you dealing with them, in addition to draining your hp and turrets severely only after 10 minutes. It really makes long survivability in quick start mode (almost) impossible.
    -Paint walls are slightly overpowered for their price.
    -Shotgun could have more damage per bullet
    -In the later waves of survival mode there could be mobs coming from other directions besides the general direction, but GENERALLY most mobs will still come from the hinted direction. Even some waves in which you don't get to know which directions they come from to step up the difficulty slightly.
    -Coins disappear to quickly and in a lot of situations too dangerous to collect until wave is over.

I also have a few questions as I'm too lazy to experiment :p
    Howlitzers vs lasers? Assuming both with night detection. Both naturally come with extreme ranges, but howitzers have splash damage and seem to 1 hit kill most mobs...
    Is plasma rifle the best weapon for all levels? How's the minigun? Heavy plasma?

Thank you

5. yojimbo

yojimbo Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I don't normally go for TD or block building games but, wow! What a gem. Game of the year for me, and it's only March.

Now, about my shadow problem. I'm stuck on wave 23 of survival mode (it seems like the line-up of enemies stays the same each time you play a given wave, right? Just checking that it makes sense to specify wave n)

I get swamped with shadows, shadow guardians etc at wave 23. I can beat the level, but NONE of my defences are left. My once proudly bristling tower is stripped to a stump.

Are any defences effective against Shadows? Obviously turrets can't see them, but I haven't experimented with landmines yet, do Shadows set them off? Dummy turrets? Can they climb past overhangs? My base is on top of the highest mountain in snowy mountains (enclosed in mesh, naturally). This has worked so far, but shadows are so quick at climbing, I realised I might be better off, as a previous poster pointed out, in a valley surrounded by mountains, so that I can pick them off as they climb down.

Or, is dealing with shadows purely a question of beefing up my fps skills? Currently I use the plasma rifle with one damage upgrade, no reload, range upgrade. On the thread people are saying that if you add further damage mods, the rifle really starts to chew up scenery, so I'm a little reluctant to do that. I need an army of me!

Any tips or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Also, devs, you mentioned working on a playing mode with no FPS element, how would this work with the enemies that are impervious to turrets, like shadows?

6. ChaosProdigy

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    #646 ChaosProdigy, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    Depending how you build your base the sharows will always gather around your base center to kill your base. This is where you can use the Hammer weapon with Max AOE (5 meter aoe) and damage. :)

It's like lamb to the slaughter, i build base with a fatal flaw in center and they will all go towards and get hammered to death ;) gets hard after lvl 35+ on survival as their HP and damage is much higher so that's when u get 60% stun on your hammer. It may take longer on Elite shadows, but you will safely stun them and beat them to death (eventually). Issue is if your base can handle all the rest of the enemies and you can't protect your mines as easily!

7. Eidaven

Eidaven Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    #647 Eidaven, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    Sorry. Confused about who I was talking to. That is weird that you don't have that option. That's a question for Toucharcade...

8. ChaosProdigy

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    Heavy Plasma Rifle no mods
    [​IMG]

Heavy Plasma rifle damage mod 10x
    [​IMG]

It's like a free nuke every 20 sec. Issue is you only get 4 choices for mods:
    ROF rate of fire mod can mod it to 10 sec fire but reload is still 20 sec so it is the most useless mod in the game and possibly a glitch/unintended. There is 1 bullet and no way to increase capacity, or reload time. The range is 70 so range mod is useless too. Light where u shoot is also useless with Spotter item.

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hahaha "Yo Eli! Get ova here!"

10. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Aiming "jerk" issue after pressing the fire button is getting a little annoying, but its not game-breaking. I do like, however, that similarly to Gameloft FPS, you can press the fire button and just hold it down while continuing to "mlook" or mouse look.

Would like to move the fire button as well, its a little too cramped for my taste.

11. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I think FM said that the jerk would be fixed in the next update, and the fire button moved, also.

12. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    You can actually look around while shooting. The Jerk, I'm guessing happens on things like iPods, iPhones and stuff like that correct?

Water Fortress :p PH and PR work majectically together. Although I forgot to save >_> I kind of would like a specific auto-save for specific game modes possibly :3

Attached Files:

13. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Day and night versions of a section of my castle in sandbox mode.

[​IMG]

14. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Might we see continous elevation change by continously touching the up and down arrows, and the other suggestions in this post? :)

15. Eidaven

Sep 16, 2012
    That's pretty awesome. I can't wait for the upload/download feature. I don't have a ton of time to build stuff like this, so being able to download others will be nice.

16. tally.bookman

tally.bookman Member

Jan 21, 2013
    As long as there are no equivalents to the Goblin Siegers, I will gladly fight any enemy, no matter how likely I am to get pwnd :).

17. Eidaven

Sep 16, 2012
    I kind of wish there was an auto save too. I forgot to save after a round and lost progress from 17 back down to 15.

18. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Wow. I feel like such an idiot. I thought I might be missing something and there we go. I had no idea there were ways to construct without consuming minerals.

This has completely changed the game for me.

Thanks!

19. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Instead of wood, you could also use mesh. It doesn't use any minerals, and is overall better. But nothing is better than the paint block. 250 HP for 1 M.

20. Mix_

Mix_ Active Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Does anyone know how many rounds it takes for a drill to use up a mineral deposit?