Block Fortress - Hints and Tips Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dreathor, Mar 8, 2013.

1. explosive

explosive Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    I should have been more clear but you can't destroy your own blocks, I was referring to the terrain under your base when they are attacking which is why it's useful to have a backup weapon. :)

2. Kaspergreenday

Kaspergreenday Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Not from a pro or anything, but i upgraded my stimulas pack to give me extra speed, which i think helps alot! They movement speed is so sloow!

3. Dreathor

Dreathor Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Is the new first picture any better?

If not I can easily change it again :)

I didn't even realise how slow it was until I upgraded mine too. Now I try to get a stim pack out between waves 1-5. Simple but one of the best tips in my opinion :D

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Much better, thanks :D

5. Transcended

Transcended New Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Tips from me:

1) build power source inside a tree then place turrets on the tree, mobs don't attack environments so you're safe from anything but range. Mindful of your own plasma rifle, mortars or rockets though, they can destroy trees. This is great for protecting mines off base.

2) dig a hole and build power underground, that way you can seal it with a block and only have to protect that single block.

3) when upgrading, prioritize detection then rate of fire for turrets.

4) personally I found plasma turrets, howitzer and orbital strike works well, they don't destroy environments, great damage and range. Can take out most mobs before they can reach your base.

5) for the moment I found building a single post and fill it with turrets work best, when the post is high enough build a platform on top and full it with orbital strike.

6) your greatest problem mid game would be shadows, it force you to go fps since turrets can't target them, get guns and be prepare. Some reenforced walls would help too.

7) upgrade range for main power supply and amount of power for power boosters

Hope it helps

6. Dreathor

Mar 7, 2013
    Haven't done the full intended new posts today but have slightly edited some grammar points and re-written a couple of tips.

Also prepared for the biggest addition of weapon and turret advice to come soon.

7. Elixir

Elixir Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Canada.
    For the farming minerals, would it be wise to make more lasers as the waves go on? Or simply keep the 4-5 from wave 5?

8. Dreathor

Mar 7, 2013
    Just have them on wave 5, when the wave completes, quit without saving.
    Then repeat it.

You don't have to save and the rare minerals keep getting added to your main account for crafting :)
    The wave has to be completed though.

9. Garbagemaster

Garbagemaster Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    For us players having trouble with the FPS portion...
    I don't personally like the controls much when in the thick of things. It seems to be a common complaint. I've had some good success by just parking myself on top of a nearby tree (take the very top block of the tree off first) and snipe at them on the way by, or help my turrets out when they get up to my base.
    If there are no trees, build yourself a simple platform, and shoot from there :)

10. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    I guess if you have extra minerals, getting paint blocks would prove useful. It costs the price of concrete but has the durability of tech metal level 1. Buying IAP allows you to progress faster, but when you buy IAP here, you don't feel overpowered, you just feel stronger in that sense that 'yeah, I can kick ass'.

11. Elixir

Elixir Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Canada.
    Why specifically the night wave? Would wave 10 or anything higher be better?

12. Nickd1990

Nickd1990 New Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game changer

When your level is high enough, buy the Cryo gun and upgrade its reload time. It can blow away dirt units effectively shaping the lands topography as you see fit, while slowing down large groups of enemies for turrets.

13. Nickd1990

Nickd1990 New Member

Mar 13, 2013
    PR can blow away dirt units letting you shape the land. Adding blast radius makes blowing away dirt much easier

14. explosive

explosive Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    #34 explosive, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    Getting the most out of Mine Shafts/Drills

- You want to focus on the ones furthest away from the base first as it is much easier in the long run, as well as that try to reach barracks level 2 by wave 5/6 so you can now get your drills down because the aim is to try and gather most of the minerals on the map up before it gets into the difficult waves. The salvage mod for both of these is useful as it allows you to get the full cash back for selling so you can keep repositioning if needed.

- Mines/Drills still generate some resources even when not placed on diposits so you can keep getting a small amount of minerals each round so after they have dried up place them close to your base.

- Tip: A nice trick is to equip mine shaft on you and when there is only a couple enemies left place it down on one of the spots furthest out, such as where the enemies came from that round, this allows you to get the minerals from at the end of this round with no risk!

- Mine drills can be stacked up to 3 for added production, make sure you have them protected and use some cheap wood to cover them from ranged attacks like shown below.

[​IMG]

Best Materials

Wood ($1, 100HP) - Cheap and very useful, use it to defend mines and create a wall further away from base to slow enemies, as well as other spots to distract enemies.
    Mesh ($2, 200HP) - I like to use this as my main block for creating my base as it's cheap and strong.
    Painting Block (1M, 250HP) - Has great hp but uses minerals, you may wish to use some in the key points of your base or on parts where you have a cross at the top with howitzers ect.
    Tech Block (3M, 250+) - Very expensive and only worth it with some HP mods but it is the strongest available.

Recommended Mods for Towers

Plasma: Range , power source, detection
    Laser: Detection, power source, damage
    Orbital Lasers: Detection, power source, damage
    Howitzer: Detector & Damage
    MIRV: Damage & Detection, AoE
    Mortar: Slow, RoF & AoE
    Flamer: Damage
    Freeze Tower: AoE & Range
    Land Mine/Charge: Damage & AoE

Tips vs Shadows

- Plasma rifle with 2 AoE mods are useful so the splash catches a few and makes it easier when they climb your base.
    - High damage weapons such as bazooka or heavy plasma shot into the group.
    - High walls to give you more time and shoot them on the way up/down.
    - You can use Lights ($10) as a cheap distraction.

I recommend buying the spotter equipment and getting the identification mod which will show a icon to indicate the enemy(below shows a skull for the shadow enemies) so you can pick out the important threats as well as status mod to show which highlights enemies red when attacking.

[​IMG]

Equipment Tips

- Stimpack: Very useful health regen but even better has mods the improve movement speed which includes climbing terrain, make sure to get at least 2 movement mods.
    - Block Armor: Costs only $2 to use so make sure you place them on your blocks around your base, especially ones where your turrets are vulnerable, late game you probably want them on eveything for max protection.
    - Ladder: Cheap item that is useful if you have a vertical base and need to climb up quicker.
    - Teleporter: Make sure to have at least one of these that links up to the top of your base in case enemies get up or you just want to shoot from up there.

Plasma Rifle Tip

On the flat maps it's a good idea to get the plasma rifle early and completely clear all the blocks under and around the barracks as soon as you can before you properly start setting up your fort.

This will be very beneficial in the long run because you no longer have to worry about accidently shooting terrain with plasma and letting enemies through or just getting caught by explosions so they are now forced to attack your blocks.

15. Elixir

Elixir Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Canada.
    Do orbital lasers have an AoE splash damage?

16. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    yeah a rather large one..around 9 or 16 blocks

17. Dreathor

Mar 7, 2013
    Guide Updated, bottom of second post.
    NEW ADDITION: Key Turrets

18. Wilbair

Wilbair Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Thank you Dreathor...:)

19. Superterry

Superterry New Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Tips for using trees:

Trees are available in all maps, and can give you a very big advantage (in certain maps that is!)

Using trees as towers: Trees are like invincible towers that cannot be broken down by any attacks (except from explosives,) so its always a good idea to start your base surrounded by trees, and possibly use the trees as borders for your farms and mining shafts. Don't forget to put down some walls.

Building a barricade: Build some wall blocks surrounding your desired trees and of course your barracks. As you build however, make sure you have separate barricade on the ground, and on the sides of the trees. They must not attach in any way, or be 1 block close to each other, since melee goblins may be able to reach and attack your tree barricade. Make the two barricades parallel to each other, so you can build unreachable turrets on the tree barricade.

All I can say for now. I don't have my iPod atm. :(

20. Cooler King

Cooler King Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Once you have self-powered and salvage mods on plasma turrets, mine shafts, and mine drills you can mine even more 'm'. First wave put out 2 mine shafts and 5 plasma turrets. On wave 2 add another mine shaft and as many plasma turrets as you can afford. By wave 3 you should be able to sell everything back, upgrade your barracks to lvl 2, and buy 3 drills and 2 laser turrets. You probably won't be able to afford another drill on wave 4 but you can place more mine shafts. Now each turn you want to add another drill if you can afford it, then more lasers, then mine shafts, prioritizing in that order. With this set up you can have orbital lasers by wave 7 or 8.