Block Fortress - Hints and Tips Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dreathor, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Dreathor

Dreathor Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2013
    New additions of personal weapon combos to come in the next couple of days, will likely require a new post though.

2. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Decided to chime in on the subject. I think my strategy is somewhat broken and makes the game quite boring, but it works...

I built the max height tower on a tall hill and expanded a 16 x 16 square on top. Then I built each and every turret on the outer edge pointing down.. Yes.. Down. When enemies are close by, all of the turrets can shoot them, while they can also pivot sideways and shoot to the edges of the map in much smaller cones. The turrets consist of 8 orbital lasers (built on the roof as well.. where all the power boosters and such are also hidden away), howitzers and lasers. I do have some plasmas remaining from early rounds. In the beginning I also built target lights pointing down, but soon realized flares are much superior. Just have a box or two ready and dominate the night.

I haven't crafted any upgrades yet (This is my 5th overall run I think). However, I'm currently at lvl 34 in this map without breaking a sweat.

Now you might wonder how I tackle shadows... Well.. here's the broken part. They are totally perplexed by the design. They always clump up in one place walking around aimlessly. I just chill on the top of the building and clear them out after the round. They do nothing... not during night.. not during day. They just gather into a nice pile for me to eliminate.

Since all the vital pieces are high up in the air, nothing touches them. I do lose my mines and their covering blocks at times. Though usually my turrets pick the attackers off without losing too many protecting meshes.

The reason my barracks is damaged are some earlier rounds, where I hadn't figured the way shadows clump up if I just stick to the roof. :)

Here are a couple of screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Dreathor

Mar 7, 2013
    Oo :confused:

----------

Well I've deleted one or two things from the first post now to make room for weapons combinations but still need to get a bit more space before something new and useful goes in there so work in progress ATM.

4. explosive

explosive Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    You can remove my stuff if you want and I will move it into the post on page 4.

5. Dreathor

Mar 7, 2013
    #45 Dreathor, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    Ok, that's good to know because I don't want to get rid of things either so sounds like a win win situation to me. Thanks :)

McCREE tips

1. Build the torrent on the side of a block as opposed to the top. It changes the firing arc downward.
    3. If you click on the info of any given turret, or block, for that matter, it will show you it's info, including range and arc.
    4. Sometimes items cost more than just $. You might need 'm' as well. It shows you the cost of the things you buy, or try to buy, as deductions on the HUD...look there?

Aventador

My advice would be to start at place near mineral veins so you can extract them easily.For extractors and nearly all stuff to work you need generators.First upgrade in craft menu minigun damage and aim for no energy upgrade for minigun turrets ASAP so you can have a lot of them without having to worry about generators, they are cheap and very effective when stacked together with damage upgrade.I always surround my extractors and generators with another layer of blocks ( and put one turret near if they are further from my main defenses ) as they are both quite expensive.Main base design varies from map to map, but always aim for higher ground , it is much easier to defend it.Once you are mostly done or satisfied with "main block wall" around the base I suggest building blocks to extend it "in the air", meaning you can just add one block in line with other to create a path in the air without any blocks needed to support that.With that in mind, you can build virtually endless air corridors ( as long as they are connected with one block to ground level) to any part of map and just put turrets on them which will shoot enemies as they approach, and enemies won't be able to destroy any of them.
    I am not sure if I like or dislike mortars, on one hand they provide very good long range support from higher ground, but on the other ( I am not sure about that though) they damage your own blocks and destroy "stock" blocks over time, what can be very dangerous in snow covered maps, once it destroys snow, you have a big gap for enemies to come trough.

Kaspergreenday

Not from a pro or anything, but i upgraded my stimulas pack to give me extra speed, which i think helps alot! They movement speed is so sloow!

Jacob007

I've got a few tips.

1) Always place your turrets up high. It gives them a better range and you don't have a very big risk that the enemies will destroy them. Make sure you also get a power block in the center of all the turrets to power as many as possible.

2) Defend mines. Mines are usually in places easy to reach for the enemies, so it wouldn't hurt to put some blocks around them or a turret for extra defense.

3) On the early stages, let your turrets do the work. Don't work on making your base look good, get to high ground, build turrets (in a high place, I find in trees also works good) and let them do most of the work. If you go against a wave with your gun, make sure you've got decent health. You could get mobbed by the enemies.

4) Upgrade your barracks when possible. You can do this by hitting the barracks with select. It costs $100 and 75 'm', but I've found it's worth it

5) Prepare for night. In the early stages, you'll end up focusing primarily on defense and putting a bunch of turrets, but wave 5 is night, and turrets cannot target enemies in the night. Put spotlights in early on in the game.

6) Buy the plasma gun when possible (around wave 2 or 3). It can kill enemies in 2-3 hits, and I find it much better to use than the pistol.

6. Mrdoller

Mrdoller Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Howitzers have significantly DPS on paper than Lasers. Do you think the high DPS overcome the disadvantages of
    1.wasting damage through overkill
    2.non-instant damage
    3.Lower Armor Pierce?

I think the lower armor piercing might be a problem, but I have no idea how this game's armor system works either... I was thinking it subtracted a certain amount of damage from each attack...

7. Dreathor

Mar 7, 2013
    #47 Dreathor, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    Howitzers are an excellent tool at taking out units with jump packs and I generally wouldn't make a base without a small handful of these on the walls. Yes they overcome the disadvantages.

Laser fire is continuous and I tend to completely flood my base with them as they are affordable and spamable.

I'm not sure that's the answer your looking for but its the best i can give you, I can show how a mixed approach is better in the long run using both any way, as the pic shows I am up to level 69 with this laser/howitzer setup..

I tend not to compare them too much because they have such great synergy together.

[​IMG]

And on a mountain howitzers can be used in synergy with mortars if your base is in the corner of the map?
    Here's another of my bases as an example.

[​IMG]

Both pictures are legitimate games. No glitching involved what so ever.

8. Mrdoller

Mrdoller Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    #48 Mrdoller, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    I put x3 damage x5 ROF on howitzers, and x3 slow x4 damage on lasers, and that seems to be working pretty well... only issue is the lack of AOE damage.

9. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hey guys, this thread is so awesome I was hoping that some of you "pros" could head over to the "unofficial/official" wiki over at IGN and help us out with some of these awesome info and tips!

Block Fortress wiki

We're going to be including a link in-game to the wiki, so a lot of eyes will be on this wiki :) Any help would be much appreciated!

10. Dreathor

Mar 7, 2013
    Gun combo updates are still coming in the first post do not worry.

Hasn't been updated for a few days because of life things and this forum is clearly not the place for real life discussion :p

Still, won't be tomorrow though in any case but it is coming.

11. Dreathor

Mar 7, 2013
    #51 Dreathor, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    Users on your website are stealing my own personal tips word for word and claiming credit for themselves, you keep doing this on TA and you keep coming back ban after ban, what an insult :mad:

Your member DieGoBlock has ripped this from me, without ANY changes what so ever.

Copied... Exactly how I wrote it...

Except you think it's cool to steal this sort of thing. At least you have been caught out for who you are (nothing but an advertising spammer) and this post will undoubtedly be found at the top of many searches on google, what kind of reputation were you going for exactly?

The game is owned by foursaken but my posts written in my own words, in my own grammar should at least be cited so thank you very much for your lack of respect. (for example I have enough respect for my TA friends here to cite them and say who write the tips under my threads when I include ideas from other people, it's not at all very difficult, it's both respectful and polite too)

Here is the stolen text on your website...

'RE: How to choose the best location?
    Depends really, for long survival games I'd almost always go in the middle to get maximum Sight and allow you ample time post wave 20 to find the shadow goblocks, otherwise if your base is at a corner they could hop over and be inside in seconds. I'd be tempted to move base into the corner map and be more creative if shadow goblocks could be damaged by a particular type of close range turret, otherwise the risk becomes great, then I suppose you could make a high wall to cover that downfall but then the regular mobs wouldnt have anything shooting at them and you would lose the wall and corner shadow protection any way, it's quite a dilemma.

Unless of course you are on maps where you can use proper cliffs to your advantage in a particular area, so the mobs have to take extra time climbing down and back up again. Cliffs on three sides of the barracks could be ideal in the proper situation, but I have yet to find that perfect cliff that makes me move away from dead center map. Of course I am coming from long range perspective, if you do put a base in a corner then I guess you could take full advantage of close range weapons like flamethrowers to toast mobs early as they appear before they become a big threat.

Another reason for going in the middle is that by the time you start having long games, the terrain gets demolished eventually.

For a quick match id say it really depends on the terrain more so than survival but it really depends... If you want the one hour achivement on that you need to have simillar tactical awareness like in survival.'

12. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    I can't believe this thread is only 5 pages long. This game is so deep I have fallen in and there doesn't seem to be a bottom. It is both relaxing and stressful in a way that makes one load up lvl 31 H&C for a 'break'. I have only gone as far as lvl 14 in survival, so I am hardly an 'expert', but I do have some tips I feel I learned the hard way...

- The first craft mods should go towards the machine gun, I mean the one you carry. +damage of course and then one or two more depending on your play style. For quite a while, this is your GO TO weapon. Swapping between this and the Plasma Rifle keeps you juggling full mags and both of them do very serious damage. The pistol is a pea-shooter and not worth dumping mods into, but let's face it for a couple of rounds it will be your only real hope.

- As soon as you look into crafting you realize the horror of paying for self powered units. A self powered mine is pretty much the Holy Grail to noobs, and it is PRICEY. You will need to do your learning curve across various types of maps, to beef up those rare numbers. You will hate yourself for IAP'ing your way into this pricey stuff, so chew your way into the upgrades.

- Make sure you look into exactly what everything costs. Certain turrets like a .50 Cal are shockingly cheap compared to Plasma, Lasers, etc. Normal minerals are pretty damned stingy through-out the entire game, casually plopping down a power block and a few lasers up on a tree will have you in the poor house in no time.

- In the heart of your base, build 2 farms when you can. You can eat these for the health either in build mode or play mode, learn to guage how fast they grow. Ultimately these are one of the most critical blocks in the game, if they are beaten down by shadows or other enemies hopping over your wall you could pretty much find yourself broke and mostly dead and too injured to play a serious role in softening up the incoming hordes.

- Obviously the enemies will aggro towards you based on proximity, and you can dance in and out of this zone to keep them confused while both you and your base law down damage. Try to aggro the boss(ish) units first. At close range the Plasma Rifle is a lot easier to hit targets with, even though it blinds you as well.

- The Laser Turrets are extremely useful, for too many reasons to list. They have incredible range, paint the targets you may not know are coming from a certain direction, and a couple of crafted mods onto them beefs them up considerably.

- The salvage mod for anything is a little too pricey in my opinion, when you destroy a block without it you get a 'little' refund but the full refund mod should be cheaper and give you like 70% back.

- I will add more later... ;)

13. Dreathor

Mar 7, 2013
    #53 Dreathor, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    Those are good tips in the early levels!

Later levels the strategy will need to be changed up but it's very good for getting started :D

Nice write up.

EDIT: I'm not sure what to do about my guide because of these noobs trying to rip content so if any one wants weapon advice PM me and il answer there because I need to decide where to add the write up...

14. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    You should add a thing that says you can't take this information unless asked and approved or something :p

15. Infernado

Infernado Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    #55 Infernado, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    True amateur here, figured I would put in my thoughts and strategys.

I usually just start off with my pistol, and a turret. And once i am about round three, I start build turret structures :

Then I cover it like this :

And after a couple of rounds I build some spotlights on those:

And add some bait block to keep them busy.

Then once I get to round 7-8. I build some structures that look like goal fields, but with a top bar to hold some upside down plasma turrets, then I add a mortar on top, it looks like this:

Then I work on a 360 annihilation zone. Andi haven't gotten further then that xd

Can someone tell how to add pictures?

Attached Files:

16. 666JZ666

666JZ666 New Member

Apr 7, 2013
  17. Elixir

Elixir Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Canada.
    This site, I can confirm is legit. Updating it would be actually very helpful to new players who google "Block Fortress tips" and variants.
    Most major games have a fully polished wikia with pages on basically every aspect of their games.

18. 666JZ666

666JZ666 New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    thx elixir i have finished writing all the basic articles like equipment price damage etc list and defenses turets blocks.
    let us all contribute to this wiki and like elixir says make a fully polished wikia with pages on basically every aspect of the games.

19. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    This wiki is actually a great place to put EVERYTHING on there. There's also the IGN wiki as well.

20. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Any tips on how to properly use motions sensors, and how to position turrets around them, and which turrets are best against shadows?