Universal Block Legend (by Alvin Phu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 6, 2014.

1. #21 CharleneLam8, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    This game is WONDERFUL.

I am just starting. But basically imagine crossing that 10000000 game with Slayin. Only turn it up to 11.

Honestly that's this game. And I am in love.

Will post serious update once I have played a bit, but guys, it's looking good!

EDIT: I just see that an earlier poster had hoped for that exact thing, Slayin meets 10000000. You sir, are in for a treat. It really is.

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Guys whats the verdict here? I see alot of positives here already....

3. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Well that's the best news I could hope for, thank you! How much depth would you say the game has? Is there a reason to play over and over beyond beating a high score? (Which is certainly not a problem, I'm just seeing how it compares to the dream game I've built up in my mind!)

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    holy crap this looks good. no iap too... TASTIC!

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    You throw your budget out the window already? Lol

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    That DubStep video is hilarious.

It sounds like there's some cool chiptunes work in the game too -

7. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Chiptunes FTW!!! :D:D:D

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL in the "cast of characters" in the announcement trailer i see that you can play as a race car driver, a spaceship, and... a corndog? Win.

And the main character is fighting an Out-Of-Shape Dragon :D:D:D

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Anyone got imps on the gameplay yet? Looking forward to reading those while i debate with myself whether to throw another 2 bucks today or not.

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'll post some impressions in a bit.

11. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Playing this since yesterday. It's a great game with no IAP and it's just pure fun with all the cute character. i like this kind of matching + kill boss end of each stage game!

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    OMG. Dat. Avatar. :D

13. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #33 undeadcow, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    Early impressions: It's too early to tell about difficulty but so far Block Legend seems like a winner with accessible frantic gameplay. It's unique in being tap based to identify matched pairs and used some clever elements from other match-3 games in a fun way.

Starting the app there's some jamming chiptunes, select start you are invited to pick one of up to 14 playable characters (only 2 available at start, others unlocked). After selecting a character you pick a "region" (game background/environment each with unique enemies/bosses?). There's an in-game "currency" called Starblocks used to unlock characters, regions, etc you amass by completing quests, beating bosses, or just finding (I earned 2 StarBlocks from the first petty battle). Starblocks are in addition to gold.

Match connecting like blocks. There are 8 types of blocks - 2 attacks, heal, shield, gold, treasure bar, heal or magic attack, or experience. Like with Running From the Dead there's a little mini-map at the top showing you how far you are from towns where you can buy buffs with gold. In "walk mode" you just match gold/experience until you run into a random battle. During battles experience tiles (possibly others, there are no sword/attack tiles in walk more) disappear and turn into swords. Character stats of strength, vitality, agility, and intelligence modify block matches in the predictable ways.

Matches are only valid in the four cardinal directions. In matching it feels a little disjointed to me at first that instead of dragging through matched sets you just tap the screen where there is a
    match and the blocks fade out to intended effect. However, that lends well to fast paced nature of combat. During combat you can tap matches at well giving a time pressure feel. The match screen is always present and walk mode is a genius addition of low stress money/experience grabbing.

When you touch the screen there's a little ripple effect that to me is sometimes distracting but seems like a detailed touch.
    Haha, thanks.

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ah... so the matching is more like the classic Super Collapse? That sounds good then. There goes another 2 bucks. :)

15. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Sigh, it sounds wonderful...This week has killed my wallet, can't wait til I can buy this. Thank you for the detailed impressions, I can pretty much guarantee I'll love a game if you say you're enjoying it!

16. Cg2005

Cg2005 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    DC
    Works great on my iPhone 5, but unfortunately, on iPad Air 16gb running 7.0.6, there's no auto-rotate and the text and art assets are cut off on each side. Tried reinstalling, rebooting, and no difference.

17. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Well if this really is similar to a chimichanga then count me in

18. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Don't believe the marketing hype, I have yet to come across a single Chimichanaga in Block Legend (but I did blink a few times and there is a lot going on).

19. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Does not display properly on my mini with retina using the current iOS. The edges are cut off as you can see in the picture.

Attached Files:

20. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Uh-oh. Good thing i checked here just before i hit the buy button.

There also seems to be a problem with the ipad mini as mentioned above in the previous post.

Maybe not ipad-optimized despite being universal?