Universal Block Legend (by Alvin Phu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    iPad air here also is a no go. My iPhone 5 works fine though.

2. uFinKnow

uFinKnow Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    It is cutoff on both sides on the IPad Mini. Unplayable! Should have waited to buy.

3. FRS

FRS Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Brilliant game, have to add my kudos to devs. The lack of IAP convinced me to buy it and incredibly happy I did! It has some deeper elements to it that you uncover, despite the simplicity of the mechanic, which is just what I think these types of games need. Quite worth the buy, and hopefully the early support will convince them to fix the universal support so I can play as nicely on my iPad as well as my phone. ;)

4. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I'm loving it! Just would like GC achievements/leaderboards.

5. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    I like the way it alternates between battles and walking, with the walking part being an opportunity to upgrade skills before the next fight.

6. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Sigh you and me both man.

7. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    You beauty! Thanks to the incredible generosity of another forum member and the sheer luck of the display not stretching on my iPad 2, I'm now playing Block Legend!

No idea why it works perfectly on my older model of iPad and not the newer ones, but I'm not complaining! I'll be sure to leave impressions when I can drag myself away from it :D

8. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Needs a fix. Graphics fall outside the screen view. Hard to see what's happening off screen.

9. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I think the display problem is coming from the iPad retina models as I haven't seen anyone with a non-retina iPad mention the graphical issues.

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I have an iPad 3 and the game displays and plays perfectly. I love Block Legends. The pixel graphics and chip tunes are splendid! The game play is frantic and a blast. The only flaw is the lack of Game Center. Hopefully the developers can get out a quick update so it plays properly on all supported devices and everyone here can enjoy it.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yep, no problem on iPad 4 either. Bloody hell that battle chiptune is goose bump inducing!

12. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    #52 PeteOzzy, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    Really enjoying this, it's definitely reminiscent to 10,000,000 though there are some major differences - the pace is the most noticeable factor. I made the mistake of trying to panic match, tapping furiously at every possible pair which worked for the most part but lead to me being slaughtered by an possessed steampunk castle. It took me a while to realise that there isn't actually a time limit and the game is played in turns so forming strategies is vital to defeating the harder enemies.

I can see where the roguelike comparisons came up fairly quickly too. Whilst you could technically argue that any matching game has roguelike elements in that once you die it's game over and you start again from the beginning, this game maintains much more of a traditional RPG approach to the term. Much like Slayin, you can level your hero, buy equipment, complete quests and defeat bosses but it's all lost with a game over. There are some permanent unlocks such as locations and characters that are purchased with a very easy to earn currency. All purchases costs 5 starblocks, considering I earned 6 in one short playthrough there's no need to grind.

The gameplay is surprisingly deep consider genre traditions. Your character moves along the world in a small banner at the top of the screen a la 10,000,000. In between the enemies that show up almost like random encounters from older JRPGs you are placed in Walk Mode. In this stage, you're matching blocks to heal, restore armour, gather treasure and gain EXP. Once combat begins, some of the blocks change to physical attacks, spells and critical hits. It's a tried and tested gameplay formula but it's no less enjoyable for that.

The whole package could use a little polish though. Some text in boxes could be centred, the visual effect from tapping is slightly unnecessary and the responsiveness can be hit and miss. However, I cannot tell you how much I don't care about those facts when I'm playing! It plays like Puzzle Quest with the matching mechanics of Super Collapse, the visual style of Slayin and some of the best elements of 10,000,000. On top of that, you can tell the devs want you to love their game - it unloads a dumper truck of charm and personality directly into your eyeholes and makes no apologies for it.

I wholly recommend it, especially to fans of the genre and people looking for something frivolous as their newest addiction.

Edit: Forgot to mention the music. It's frankly worth the admission price just for that!

13. Mephala

Mephala Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2013
    It's like a cute retro Dungeon Raid.

Do we carry anything to the next game if we die?

14. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    This is good news for me too, as I'm stuck with an old (but loved) iPad 2. Can you just tell me which way the screen lies?
    Is it with the home button to the right? I hate fixed orientation games - if the API is there, why not use it...

15. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    It is a fixed orientation game unfortunately, yeah. The home button is to the right which is the opposite of how I'd like it for charging purposes but I'm just glad it works to be honest haha!

It's made by a two man team in Japan who are new to the iOS scene. It kind of makes sense as there are a few common iOS features we take for granted that are missing from this like orientation etc. It's still a wonderful game though and the devs are on my watchlist for sure!

16. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    You can chose up to two items to take with you, though I haven't unlocked any yet. There are also 14 unlockable characters and 10 locations to purchase and the heroes have their own unique stats.

Just bought the character at the bottom of the list and they're incredible! Cannot wait to get into this further!

17. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    Can you flip the screen? I can't seem to be able to flip the orientation.

18. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    No, I don't think so unfortunately

19. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    So I'm assuming the only iPad's with the display issues are the Air and Retina Mini?

20. Mephala

Mephala Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Thanks! Also wanted to ask: is this like Dungeon Raid in that we play till we die to see how far we can go or can we actually get to the end of a level?