Universal Block Legend (by Alvin Phu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 6, 2014.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    This isn't frantic twitch stuff? The enemy only attack after you make a certain amount of moves? There's little circles in the bottom right corner under the enemy showing you when they will attack, so you have plenty of time to pick and choose your matches. :D

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Oh then is just the black bars, but that is really minor thing... Always wanted this one since it looks amazing. Thanks, another buy this week... my wallet doesn't like it that much though...

3. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I have an iPad air, not a mini… for dev info.

4. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Bought it. It's a nice little gem. As already mentioned it doesn't fit on my iPad but plays good on my iPhone though I prefer to play games on a bigger screen so I hope it gets fixed asap. And ye, the second boss shred me into pieces...I thought I were good...seems like I'm not :/

5. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Thanks to someone pointing out that the battles are turned-based, I am enjoying this one even more.

6. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    I'm just getting into this game (though, I had played a bit of it ages ago), and it seems fun. I do wish something more than the stars carried over after death because it already feels like they'll be hard to come by, and I don't want to waste them on buffs. Maybe that will change when I play more.

One thing to note for the devs if they're reading this thread: the game crashes consistently if I tap the level icon before heading out on a quest.

7. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Anyone have an idea on long the game is? Hour wise to complete?

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Game Impressions

Combat in Block Legend is not in real time, and not even remotely twitchy. Only the walking portions relies on any kind of reflexes, wits or quick decision making.

Considering the actual puzzle elements are really, really simple, I think I would have enjoyed the game more if battles were enitrely realtime-based, and really fast-paced, with enemies (particularly stronger opponents) attacking at a rapid pace, forcing split-second puzzling decisions.

Puzzle Quest it ain't. But for those who play it for hero unlocks, progression, super-casual puzzling and/or the presentational values, it is an excellent little product.

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #89 Vovin, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    Omg, bloody fantastic game. The trailer is pure genius and sold me. I already love the game after one little run.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    This would the only thing I'd change as well. I'm early in the game so imagine battles get tougher. But the puzzle component is a bit on the easy side with not much tension. About the worse thing that can happen is running into situations where there is little to match on the board. You have all the time in the world to find them, but it is more a matter of luck over skill given that fact.

Still love the game. Adding some sort of timed element to give more challenge would be a worthwhile addition. Maybe a "hardcore" mode for people that want it.

11. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I won't spoil who the characters are and what they look like but I bought the hero at the very bottom of the list as my first unlock and I don't think I'll ever play as anyone else, they're incredible useful and just look downright badass. Their stats are:

Strength: 6
    Vitality: 3
    Agility: 1
    Intelligence 2
    Skill: Extra shields for every shield block matched

As for comparisons to Puzzle Quest, I more meant that it has that turn-based tough decision making of matching skulls/swords or trying to raise your defense/health. I realise the comparison isn't perfect but people tend to prefer similarities to be given to something they know, but yeah you're right :)

I can see why people are thinking that it's not turn-based though - it's unusual to have a game adopt both gameplay types at the same time and I have to admit it threw me at first. Sometimes I end up missing Walk Mode as well as the slower battles cause me to relax a little and I forget I'm limited in time.

12. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I bought the one about five down that looked like a space ship and here's its stats, there's pretty cool.

Attached Files:

13. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Possible TOTY contender?

14. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I love this so much! I can't add spoiler tags from my phone or I'd show the few I've gotten which are hillarious.

15. uFinKnow

uFinKnow Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Has anybody heard anything from the Dev about the aspect ratio on the IPad AIR & Mini? Other than that this release is a 5 star no doubt. If anyone has any info on this issue Pm me or leave a response. Thanks in advance.

16. Tsothoga

Tsothoga Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 6, 2010
    Broken quests?

Anyone notice that only some of the quests appear to work?

I've finished several quests successfully, but now I'm stuck on 3 quests that don't seem to be activating properly: reach Combo 3, which I hit repeatedly, break 100 tiles, which I imagine I've hit, and discover 5 types of items (this I'm not sure of). Is there any way to reset or replace non-working quests?

Also, has anyone found any equipment? I've seen plenty of one-shot items come and go, but I've never seen an equippable item. Am I missing something?

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah. Block Legend is turn based, editing my earlier post to clarify. The walking segments are "real time" since there's no enemy so I think I just kept frantically tapping through the battles.

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #99 Vovin, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    Somebody invited the devs? I'll message them and lure them to this thread.

*3 minutes later...*

Done.

19. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Thanks for the "suggestion". I just bought them and they are indeed awesome. Completed almost 4 stages on my first single run with them but couldn't defeat the 4th boss, heh.
    I also got many achievements done in this run so I have a good amount of starblocks now. Hmm, maybe I'll try the spaceship now :D