Bluebird (Newest Game from NimbleBit)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Mew2468, May 25, 2009.

1. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    So you have to keep tapping the screen?! that is going to look fun in public lol Still looks nice and you have quilty products so still count me in

2. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    lol, I don't know how you tap your device but for me it usually involves moving my thumb a couple millimeters. Much less obvious than tilt controls at any rate.

3. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    I was thinking like old grandma trying to play this i am a thumb tapper but I don't know if my mom is like that lol I can't wait to see her play this.

4. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the support! To be fair, you really need to play with it a bit before you judge it too much. I'm sure most people think Scoops looks stupidly easy and shallow just watching gameplay without actually experiencing it.

Also, it is kind of fair to compare the games like that since it is a daily snapshot (not added over time) and Scoops is the oldest of the three but still out-earns them handily. Games usually peak right after launch then steadily decline on average every day after.

5. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Oops.. Sorry I didnt realize it was daily snapshots you were posting. I dont understand the reasons but I am in agreement with you now: simple game mechanics seem to sell better. Hmmm...

Well.. Scoops is special I guess. Its icecream! Who doesnt like catching icecream scoops hahaha.. My fiancee totally hates me playing games on my iTouch. The only games that she likes is scoops, skyburger and Toki Tori lol..

Anyway, any chance of a lite version then?

6. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    No, I don't think it's wise to have a lite version for 99 cent apps. Not much I could take out anyways.

7. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    I wish i could have a txt sent to me when this comes out :( that is the worst part waiting to check to see when it comes out :( I am out a better part of this week with computer access only at night and not much time to check on the iPhone, Ian you don't have like an email send thingy do ya that people can subscribe to for latest games and update?

8. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    My Twitter feed is probably your best bet. There's a link in my sig.

9. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Poo!!!! I'll think about that I want to stay away from Twitter (I know I am dumb) but I may do it for that. You can link that to SMS right?

10. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    All my games have small NimbleBit news messages at the main menus, other than that I don't know what to tell you.

11. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Promise you will have it there on the day it is released lol I always play scoops on my lunch breaks

12. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

i'm hella excited for this, I have never met an Ian Marsh game I haven't liked. Sometimes simpler is better and Ian seems to have this down to a T.

13. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Ya. I definitely agree. Its impossible to take out stuff to make a light version of a 99 cent game lol..

Anyway, despite everything I've said, I'm definitely getting BlueBird when it comes out! :D

14. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    This definitely looks cute, and I love the music.

15. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

Once again, I will buy an Ian Marsh game on day one. It looks fun, but but it also does look more simple than the others...and I'm not sure why. Scoops is about as simple as you get.

16. marshmonkey

marshmonkey Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    this is also part of an experiment to see if making 99 cent games works as a business model. Since the trend seems to be that prices are all sliding towards 99 cents, we need to figure out what we can afford to make for that price and still be able to keep making games. We could spend 2-6 months on a game as in-depth as Sky Burger or something even more complex (and we have a lot of neat ideas we would love to make too!) but with the price competition the way it is, we would be banking on the fact that it stays up on the charts, and if it didn't - making those kinds of games would not be sustainable for long.

So one thing eeen is doing is seeing if these style of simple, elegant, and self-contained type of games which can be made quickly are popular enough to warrant more like them. We are trying to figure out what 99 cents (70 really) of our development time is worth to people.

It is getting more and more cut-throat every day in the app store, so we have to experiment to try and stay ahead of the curve. It will be very useful to see how this game is received so we can fine tune where the best risk / reward line is in order to stay in business!

17. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I'll look back on this paragraph in 2 years when question why the AppStore has failed. My response will be "oh yea."
    :(
    Don't get me wrong, I have every single NimbleBit game, but it's unfortunate that the reason you guys can't make more in-depth games is because of this.

18. marshmonkey

marshmonkey Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Well, it doesn't mean we can't make a living doing them - it just means it is more risky to try. You see developers on the top 25 every day that have done it, but for everyone one of those there is probably 100 more that tried the same strategy and failed.

I don't think the app store will fail simply because there will be a very great number of developers trying for a long time even if it a losing battle for most. It is kind of like the baby sea turtle hatchlings, hundreds of little guys running towards the ocean - only a fraction make it, but that is still enough to populate the ocean (or app store :p )

19. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

look at bloons, until they dropped the price to 99 cents, there game was around 98 or 97 in the top 100

once they dropped the price, it skyrocketed to 2 on the top 100 in one day.

the app store has become a .99 market, sad but it has

20. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Too true. It's unfortunate that people won't buy a well made $5 game and say "it should be $1".

Nice analogy :).