Bluebird (Newest Game from NimbleBit)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Mew2468, May 25, 2009.

1. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    im afraid that i am one of those people who usually does not buy an app above .99 because i am kind of afraid that it will turn out to be a waste of money. I personally wait for sales because at some point, basically every app goes on sale. The one i am currently waiting for is fantastic contraption, i have it on my pandora box list and i have been waiting for it to come up.

2. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I don't think it's going to be $1 anytime soon...maybe $3. You should have picked it up for the $3 introductory price :D.

3. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    yea i was so angry when i heard that it has been out and i hadnt heard....if only i had been a member here....

i might pick that game up if it goes to $3 or $2.....hopefully soon

4. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    any chance we can see the icon!? :)

5. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    It tells me my message is too short so I wrote this.

Attached Files:

6. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Looks great, so does the game. Can't wait!

7. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Yeah Ian, it looks great. All of your games are awesome, and this one looks to join the others in awesomeness.

I do agree with some of the others though about the game depth. While I probably play the quick games the most, the ones I like more are the in-depth ones. I think if you guys had a good idea for a game, you could make it very deep and just as fun as the others.

Maybe after this game, you should try something like that. Or start porting over that kart racing game.

8. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Icon looks great! Can't wait for release :).

9. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I am not saying pick up and play games are bad (i love kryzer and have fallen in love with space ninja), but they need a little more creativity and immersion to catch my eye. Sky Burger was great because it required more thought than scoops, but this seems like blue bird would get repetitive. I will wait for reviews, but I might pass. I am an ian marsh fan, but I am really waiting for him to make something which takes advantage for the hardware more and has more depth.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The problem is, in the world of iPhone games you have a choice of three things:

1. Low Price
    2. Depth
    3. Gameplay

You only get to choose two.

It's just not cost effective for indie developers to spend 6 months developing a game that has all kinds of depth to it complete with amazing gameplay when the market demands games are sold for 99 cents. It works for the big guys like EA because their games command a higher price and they can afford to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in game development then launch an online advertising campaign that would blow indie developers out of the water.

In comparison, Nimblebit is two guys sitting in an office hoping Scoops continues to sell to keep the lights on while their advertising budget consists of business cards and Twitter feeds.

11. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    It would be tons of fun to port Zero Gear to the iPhone, the only problem is that as hodapp mentioned it would be a huge risk for a single developer. If I spent 6 months on something that didn't make it into the top 25 it would really hurt.

12. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Also don't forget word of mouth. I have mentioned to some of my buddies with iphones and touches that I speak with the coder of niblebit and that they are really good on the customer support level and that has gotten like 10 friends to buy scoops and skyburger. And if bluebird is good I know 3 people are looking forward to a review to buy

13. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    This is probably one of the biggest reasons we are even still making games, so THANKS! :)

14. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    2 and 3, please.

15. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You don't know how much I wish you spoke for the majority of App Store shoppers. :p

16. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Ha. I wish the rest of the shoppers were like me too. It would benefit everyone if they were. It sickens me when I look at the top apps list and see stuff like "Mood Touch" in the top 20, even though it has a rating of 2 stars. It just shows you how stupid America has become. My god, this country is bad. I want to move to Australia, or maybe the UK. Then I can die in peace.

17. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    So won't you consider making something with a little more depth in the future? I'm not complaining, I would just be curious to see something at the level of rolando or zen bound coming from you (games that sold quite well actually)

18. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    You better have some other reasons, because app store-wise, it's just the same thing worldwide.

19. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
  20. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Looks suspiciously like the Flash games Ferry Halim makes on orisinal.com.. Could Bluebird be 'inspired' by these perchance?