Borderlands Legends

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MaxPancaKe, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Personally find FPS games quite basic, you need more tactics with a 'tactical shooter' hence the term !

Either way its a 'big name' game so they can probably give the game a good price. Either way $2 or $5 its a bargain

2. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I personally find tactical shooters kind of "meh" Although, I maybe surprised and this one could be good. The reason I'm kind of disappointed is that Borderlands is an " FPS" game, to convert it to a top down tactical shooter is different but it could succeed.

FPS shooters I find to be way more fun. No you don't need more tactics in a tactical shooter, lol. FPS games, especially multiplayer require many tactics and strategies to succeed.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If there is no IAP at all, im willing to give it up to $20. God forbid if the game sucked ass. LOL

4. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL... most FPS are point and click games. OR they just become run and gun. Save for some genre hybrids like Fallout and Mass Effect, which has great depths like a woman's... love when they fall.

The new XCom... That's one hell of a tactical shooter. The turn-based gameplay allows for more tactics and strategy, in exchange for lesser action.

Im hoping Borderlands Legends is the real-time equivalent, as far as iOS games go. Im expecting real-time gameplay, higher level action, but that allows lesser strategy in them. What i want right now, is the use of "cover" in this battleheart-like gameplay, which hasnt been done before. I want it to work, and im hope it doesnt fail us.

5. Johnny101

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    LOL, point and click games. Your doing it wrong man ! There is a ton of strategy involved if your playing competitively. It's not just run and attack like some noob, There is sniping, finding strategic locations, choosing weapons/vehicles,etc.... FPS games are not just a bunch of 13 year olds playing assault on Cod.

I'll take an FPS game anytime over some top down tactical shooter. Not saying that this game can't be a good one.

6. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Nope, but you were saying that you can't see the price as being warranted since this is not an fps, and that includes the assumption that the target market and customer base for this product would share your sentiments on genre-based pricing, and that the developers of Borderlands Legends have insight into this supposed fps preference of the iOS userbase for games priced at 5 dollars ;) Perhaps above comments from TA fans of the tactical genre have broadened your perspective, and illustrated how your personal feelings on the subject might not be a good foundation for a developer to base their pricing upon ;)

7. Johnny101

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    #107 Johnny101, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    So what if it's my personal opinion that I prefer an fps over a top down shooter and that I would rather pay more for an FPS :cool:

Based on the App market. FPS games are generally priced more than tactical shooters anyhow... that's a fact;) Take a look at all Gameloft's premium fps games. The modern combat series, Nova Series. Upon release they are generally 6.99. Where as a tactical shooter game like Anomaly Warzone are approx 2 to 3 dollars on release. Top down shooters are generally cheaper also. So my statement is relevant and not based on what I think a top down shooter, tactical shooter, should be priced.:rolleyes:

Anyway, My fave game is Borderlands. Might just have to pick this up because it is associated with the Borderlands franchise.

8. #108 Haruhi, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

The lack of mission progression is a shame, but I'll still buy it when it's out next week.

This article says that Borderlands Legends will have no IAP.

9. Cg2005

Cg2005 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    DC
    ^ That interview with the 2k spokesperson makes me want to buy this on principle alone: One upfront price for an entire game. No need to worry about hitting any kind of pay wall with IAP in a premium title.

10. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I'll pay them $20 if they promise not to put out an FPS. :D

11. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    It looks like when you move a character they only move in a straight line. Would be much better if they followed a path that you draw with your finger (which in turn would probably help with the "pathing" issues mentioned in the IGN preview)

12. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Awww I was hoping for at least a top-down shooter

13. Johnny101

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I would prefer this to be an fps :D but it still looks polished. Lack of mission progress or even a storyline, could make this game stale in a hurry. I will probably get it though.

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Instabuy for me. Saw the video, and then I had to pick my jaw off the floor.

Overall aesthetics is what i want in a battleheart-esque strategy game right now, and this looks like it.

Been playing Nun Attack and Sefirah a lot lately, and i played Battleheart and the Triniti clone (the title i forgot) too much as well. I love this type of gameplay, and i've played all other titles similar to this, but not all ended up being played much. One of my current favorites is Nun Attack. Im sure B:L will be an upgrade to the genre.

No IAP is tops in my book. And the random shop inventory sounds delicious and what will keep me playing it. We'll see how it controls when the game comes out.

F***in excited now.

15. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Battleheart-type gameplay skinned with Borderlands..it really doesn't get much better than that. Suits the platform perfectly. Going to have to say it: "insta-buy."

16. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

Re-playing battle heart now on iPhone 5 and lovin it (again) so I must say... Insta buy too

17. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Okay it's bought. I'm sold with that video. Differently looks like it plays really close to battlehearts and I get the borderlands world which I love.

I wish there was a main story line but I'll live. Maybe the random levels well make some people want to play more because the levels will always be a bit different?

18. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Oh I hardly even had a look at that video... It's battleheart clone? Well that's better :)

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Same here. Must admit after watching the video it looks good, could get a 'bit' samey after a while doing random mission after random mission on one single screen area. If the filesize is decent i'll get this for sure, its a nice surprise anyway as this came from nowhere just over a week or so ago.

But sadly not a dual stick shooter !

20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Personal opinions are the stuff. That's where it's at. Include them in an ode, growl them in yer sleep, shout them from the mountaintops, and spraypaint them on the walls of city hall.

However, when you discuss whether or not a price is warranted, many might assume that you are making a statement of general principle :)

True. At the same time, there are a number of low-priced fps games, such as The Infinity Project 1 and 2.

Based on that, an alternative explanation might be that fps games is ground so far mostly trod by larger iOS devs and AAA companies, and they t(r)end to price higher than most iOS devs, whereas tactical shooters for iOS are often the work of smaller indie teams, which subscribe to a different pricing philosophy.

And now for something completely different:

There seems to be an underlying assumption among some previewers and preview comments that a change of genre was the only way for Gearbox to bring Borderlands to iOS, kinda like the idea that Mass Effect: Infiltrator and similar console semi-ports are natural mobile simplifications. At the same time, Gameloft creates console-like (if not in quality, than at least in mechanics) first-person shooters, and Rockstar and Square port games in their full console glory, worries over playability be damned. With a graphical redux, file size would probably be the only thing that would make a game like Borderlands problematic to create for and play on iOS devices. There is little or nothing else about the game that would make it inherently more cumbersome than the N.O.V.A. or Modern Combat series. And I think most AAA devs realize this.

I think some or many of these AAA devs might instead be motivated by desires different and far removed from dumbing down their titles to make hordes of cash from bringing their IPs to the hottest new gaming platform (plus the possible fear that a full console title like Borderlands would not be appealing to the mobile crowd): to find a format and fit natural for touch screen platforms, and to actually reinvent themselves, explore new avenues, and the chance to work with new ideas and approaches.

So perhaps the Gearbox dudes didn't turn Borderlands into a tactical top-down shooter because they believed it technically impossible to port Borderlands to iOS, but because they had an awesome idea for a tactical top-down shooter, and felt it meshed well with Borderland's setting and theme.