Breaking Bad.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by arta, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    When this first came out, I saw the promo stuff and thought, "OooKkk..."

Hard to believe what this ended up becoming. Masterful. I wonder how many people (like me) are further blown away knowing that we're experiencing a very different version of "Malcolm's Dad..."

That context has been pretty evident in my experience of Walter as a character, fwiw... any doubts about his acting ability... well, yeah.

DBC

2. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Compare this with Dexter, a show with arguably the worst final season committed to screen. If the Dexter writers were writing this show, Hank would have simply forgotten his discovery, Walt randomly meets some incompetent new drug lord, contemplates running away with the hot high school principal, Holly would have had an accident on the treadmill, basically nothing of consequence after years of story.

3. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Active Member

Aug 10, 2013
    LOL

Thanks for making my day, arta!

Can't wait for the last two episodes. I'm wondering what that rifle Walt bought in the first episode of season five was for? At least we know that he'll make it to his 52nd birthday...

4. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    In this latest episode... Todd tells the woman business partner that his meth was 92% yet later he tells Jesse it's 96%.

Is this a mistake or some kind of plot point?

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Wasn't the scene with Lydia before the scene with Jesse? I assumed that Todd was referring to that day's batch, which would have been after he had met with Lydia.

Anyway, another awesome episode -- maybe not quite as thrilling as the last two, but you can tell it's setting up a whale of a finale.

Best. Show. Ever.

6. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Well the show ends next week. It's probably going to be so kick ass.

7. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  8. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Now I'm sad.

9. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
  10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    It is done.

That's how you pay off 5 seasons. Everything tied up nicely (especially the lottery ticket, Skinny Pete, Badger and the Gray Matter couple in a way I never saw coming), the rescue, and FINALLY ending with an antihero dead while accomplishing what he set out to do in the first place. He got what he deserved and redemption.

This finale finally gave me what I wanted from a series ending over these years - something that ties up all the loose ends and brings all character arcs to a conclusion.

- Not an ambiguous ending where the audience has to make up their own ending.
    - Not a "the cycle will continue" ending
    - Not a "well the hero/ antihero/ villain has to dwell on his actions, so that's his character arc, I guess" ending.
    - Not a "we lost the ####ing plot but here's the characters hugging, it's about the characters dude" ending.

No, both PLOT and CHARACTER were resolved, without copping or on either.

Nitpicks? I personally could have done with a little more conversation between Jesse and Walt, and the needledrop songs were a bit on the nose (I got what I deserve), but I guess Vince Gilligan has earned the right to hammer his points home. He wanted to end the series with NO DOUBTS as to what the themes were about and took no half measures. :salute:

So yeah, while as a standalone episode it might not have the show stopping moments of Full Measure and Face Off, this was a near perfect episode to cap of the series. :cool:

11. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Just watched the finale was afraid to look in this thread until I did but a great if somewhat predictable ending to an epic show I'm going to miss it.

Definitely a show near the top if not the very top of my most liked list.

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Tied up all loose ends? I don't think so...

image.jpg

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I thought the ending was just average - which is to say, disappointing. Granted I'm not a fan of closure and neat tying up of loose ends, but even so the execution is still everything, and here it simply wasn't up to the standards the show had set previously on multiple occasions.

14. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Quite frankly I'm glad its over.

No, I'm not saying its bad, personally I can't judge it as I won't watch any American programmes but I am rather tired of hearing people talking about it all the time.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Do you like anything?

16. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Not if other people like it.

17. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Sure he does. He likes not liking things :)

18. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009