Universal Breakneck (by PikPok)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    The frame rate is kind of bad on an iPad Mini 2. There's random stuttering and whatnot, it doesn't feel fluid enough.

There's no coin doubler or anything of the sort that'd turn the game into a premium experience.

This is like a poor clone of Race The Sun. Too bad because I really liked the graphics and atmosphere :/

2. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    yep,you are right.Feels a bit weird.

Have to say that this is not really my cup of tea.Also because of too many distractions (share here,watch there,click here...).But that's f2p and at least it doesn't seem to have timers.

And it's always much appreciated if developers listen to user feedback and being active here.Wish you a good success,i saw it's listed under"best new games"at the appstore :)

MFI support works well with the Madcatz Micro CTRli by the way.

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll have to wait until next month to play it. ;)

4. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Just curious ... the girl on the promotional image looks exactly like Mila Kunis. Did she agree to her likeness being in that image or is she some kind of brand ambassador? Sorry if this was discussed already as i haven't checked all 7 pages of the thread.

5. setomoto

setomoto Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2015
    I feel like this type of game should be running on 60fps. Right now, it doesn't feel as smooth as it could be. I guess it is running in lower frames for compatibility reasons? There is a little bit of frame skip that made me crash straight into a tower occasionally. Otherwise, love the details and textures of the world pikpok created.

6. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    I guess they have similar features at first glance. It isn't her though.

7. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Doing final checks on an approved update with frame rate optimizations now. Hopefully that rolls out in the next 3 or 4 hours.

8. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Looks and plays great on iPad Air 2 (as you would hope). The game sequences are fast and furious but all the tapping to get to play again between the levels is a real turn off. Takes longer to get to the race than the race itself.
    You get your thumbs set and then have to tap all over the place to play again.

Anyways that's my five minute play impression... I enjoyed it but probably won't go back to it because of the aforementioned issues.

9. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    All those other steps are necessary, that's when you select perks, upgrade power ups, etc... I have been playing the game daily for a couple weeks and not once have I been annoyed by it. To each their own I guess.

10. amaurote

amaurote Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    incredible graphics
    sad, it dont compatible with my ipad :(

11. FeenixSA

FeenixSA Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Curious about that patch as it literally stutters and freezes a ton on a 6+.

12. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    We have no released v1.1.2 which includes

- a crash fix
    - incremental performance improvements
    - various UI tweaks and improvements

Should be available to download in your territory soon.

13. razorracer83

razorracer83 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I could just imagine the reaction of those whose who dismissed AG Drive as an unsupported app with this update that not only came out of nowhere, but came with such a highly requested feature like MFI support.

Now, back on topic. Just updated Breakneck and the frame rate is much more playable and stable. Not 60 FPS mind you, but it definitely feels like a rock solid 30 FPS. Still, a vast improvement over the performance pre-patch, and given how stunning the graphics are, I can see how 60 FPS might be impossible.

14. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Great you are finding the patch making it more playable.

We are continuing to work on performance, to raise the average framerate overall, and to remove the occasional hitches and spikes. It will be an ongoing process.

Given the game is built on Unity 5, we are hoping there are some gains to be had there as Unity itself will be upgraded and improved over time as new versions of 5 are released. Those wins will be rolled out as we push out regular updates.

15. BoneAppart

BoneAppart Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Works well on Air 2, the graphics are sharp and fluid. But man even for a f2p the amount of pressure to watch/sign up/spend is indecent! It's gonna get old quickly.

16. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Will pass on the feedback. Plenty of opportunity for us to change stuff around, especially as there are a bunch more updates coming with new features and content :)

17. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    The controls seem clunky. Other than that... The game looks awesome. I'm no fan of endless runners, but this one really catches my eye.

18. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Yeah those two steps are not what I was referring to...it's the constant social media stuff, give us data mining info, let us reward you for turning on notifications, here's yet another sales pitch for IAP goods, etc.

I could go on but it's certainly a ham fisted FTPI implementation indeed. Like you said obviously some won't be bothered by it but I've felt harassed the two times I've played. Maybe it will calm down after I've refused most of the requests.

19. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    #79 Grimstone82, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    Ahh... I don't get any of that stuff, but I still haven't updated to the worldwide release version so maybe all that nagging has since been added. Literally all I have to go through is the ranking page, power up page, perk page, and then off to the races. Occasionally I get reminded to upgrade a power up but that's pretty much it. I've only ever seen the connect with social media screen a few times, and that's pretty much it. I can understand why they added that stuff, I mean they gotta monetize somehow. But I also agree that a constant barrage of FTP reminders can be horribly annoying and sometimes game breaking. Hopefully they will find a balance that sits fine with everyone because the game itself is amazing. I usually grow tired of games after a couple days but this one really has me hooked.

Edit: I just played for the first time today and now I'm seeing ads for other games that I never saw before. The only ads I ever had to deal with in the past were the voluntary video ads that let you restart from the last zone you were in. It's a tad annoying but again, understandable.

20. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Some stuff is triggering earlier and more frequently than it should :/ Teething troubles.

All the feedback is going back to the team so we'll be continuing to fix and tune in upcoming updates. We'll likely be submitting something that addresses known issues around some of this in the next few days.