Universal Breakneck (by PikPok)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Marcos stein

Marcos stein Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Much better now. Some games like Asphalt 8 are so glitch that i stoped playing.
    Keep the good work.

2. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    You don't have to worry about that. We typically support our games for a couple of years at least :)

We already have made great progress on the next update for the game, so hopefully you see that hit in a week or two.

3. AndreB

AndreB Active Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Awesome !

4. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    This could have been an awesome game but the freemium model killed it. Regrettably deleted and moved on.

5. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I just tried this on my iPhone 6. It's got great graphics and wonderful sense of speed, but still runs a bit choppy for me. It seems to smooth out once a run begins, but at the beginning and end, there are some hiccups.

Overall though, the amount of prompts to buy boosts or watch an ad in between each run are pretty annoying, compared to how short each run is. As a professional dev myself I'm totally sympathetic of the need to monetize the game, but this is annoying to the point that I probably wouldn't bother playing the game with so many other things to choose from. Especially for a difficult game like this where people are likely to keep retrying runs a lot, it seems to me you need to streamline the process of retrying a little more even if it's going to be a F2P game.

6. machine56

machine56 Well-Known Member

May 23, 2014
    NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MY IPHONE 5 ??!!?? DEVS YOU're SO MEEAANNNN!

7. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    I'm probably just missing something, but I'm hitting a lot of cheap deaths, like jumping out of a tunnel ramp only to smash straight into a wall. I hit the same ramp again and didn't really see another option besides death.

Is it typical to not survive very long either? It's way to risky most of the time to fly near enough to the walls to charge up a boost, but the laser thing chasing you catches up quite quickly. Maybe if coins (or whatever those yellow things are) gave a small charge, it would help out.

Also not a fan of not being able to upgrade the magnets and stuff with regular currency. Maybe the premium stuff is doled out regularly, but I'm not at that point yet, so I'm extra cautious about using it on upgrading the first few items.

Love Into the Dead and many other PikPok titles, so I'm sticking with this a while longer. So far, though, it's not sticking.

EDIT: Also, it runs great on my 5S!

8. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Devs,

Please tell me that any purchase removes these absolutely horrid and invasive and aggravating POp up kiip rewards? If not then I'm going to uninstall the game

I was really enjoying the game until I got these ads. I don't see anyway to remove them and I'm not making a purchase until I know there's a purchase to remove the ads or any purchase removes them.

I was really getting into the game too.

Billy

9. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    I know purchases remove most third party ads, so it should remove the Kiip ads, but I'd have to check that (and the team is in a meeting at the moment :/ ). We should be making the situation clearer regarding what turns off on a purchase at least.

Certainly it is our usual best practise to disable Kiip ads along side other ads on any purchase in our recent games with the option to turn them back on (some people like Kiip ads because they gift premium currency for limited effort).

Will get back to you.

10. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Ok, so the answer is, yes, making any purchase will turn off third party ads including Kiip. For Kiip, you then have the option to turn those rewards back on via the Settings menu should you wish to continue receiving those rewards offers.

To be clear and transparent, while a purchase will turn off third party ads, the game will still receive messaging from us directly including cross promotions to our other games and stuff, regardless of purchase status. For example, there is currently a cross promotion by us to the Breakneck soundtrack artist's new EP "Don't Kick the Cat" (trying to help him get a jump start on the music charts). Those notices can always be easily dismissed by tapping in the top left of the screen though.

Hope that clarifies the situation :) Let me know if you have more questions.

11. biganimefan

biganimefan Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Why app store says it NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MY IPHONE 5S (I cant install the game)????

12. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    Do you have iOS 8.xx?

13. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #94 LordShad0wz, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Perfect! That's great! As long as those ads go away I'm good with that. Thank you for getting back to me!

You really should put this in the game, particularly when the ad pops up and in the store so people know this. I almost deleted the game because I couldn't find this anywhere. And also the ads are completely off base. I just got an ad for Mr Clean toilet bowl scrubber and Reese's peanut butter cups. The ads pop up a lot too. And sometes you have a full screen ad AS WELL as the damn kiip rewards ON TOP of it. Double ads. I think it's way too aggressive. I'm buying the starting offer now which is a decent deal since it removes the ads. But I can tell you things need to be changed. You are pushing away a lot of customers. It's a great game at its core. I really love the graphics and the sense of speed and the music. I actually would choose this over race the sun! And I absolutely love that game and play that everyday.

What plans do you guys have for the game? Will we get different vehicles? Could you please put in a restorable iap for 2x the coins? I would buy that for sure.

Also does or will the game have cloud saves? If it already has it you should say this in the description and in the game.

Billy

EDIT- I went ahead and purchased the $1.99 starting offer and it indeed has removed all ads and kiip offers. Thank goodness! The game really feels more premium now. Just add a 2x coin IAP and that would be awesome.

14. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm running the game just fine on the IPhone 5s running iOS 8.4

So I don't know why you would be having issues. I have absolutely no issues or lag.

Billy

15. machine56

machine56 Well-Known Member

May 23, 2014
    ok, so, this means that i need to buy new iphone to play this game ? im currently on i5 ios8.4.

just a simple questions needing a simple answer.

thx.

16. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    You need OS8.x or higher installed to run Breakneck.

Yes, you need a device that supports Metal acceleration so you need a 5S or higher.

Apple will likely be announcing new phones at their press event on September 9 (they are rumored to reveal a "6S"). So, might be timely to upgrade in the next few months anyway.

There is a lot of new stuff coming both on the content and features side. Being able to customize, upgrade, and change your vehicle will be a big part of that.

No word on timings yet, but we'll certainly be updating the thread when updates land, and will be showcasing updates and content on the official Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/PlayBreakneck

There are cross device saves via our PikPokPlus platform already I believe (just connect to Facebook to activate), but we are additionally looking at how this can work in with iCloud.

17. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    Yep, that's what happens. You can't expect antiquated hardware to be able to run every game from now to eternity, you know? This game is very graphically intensive and requires metal support as well so unfortunately the iPhone 5 just can't run it.

18. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    To be fair, it is little harsh to call the iPhone 5 "antiquated hardware" - it's only 3 years old! :)

Historically, we have tried to support hardware as far back as possible with our games, which sometimes requires a lot of effort to bring those lower spec devices up to par, like the iPod Touch series which has typically been "under-specced" RAM wise. But it's important to do so in order to reach the widest audience possible.

With Breakneck we made a different strategic choice on what to support. We wanted to create a baseline for the product that allowed us to avoid compromising the visuals in order to accommodate lower spec devices, and that would still look great and not dated on new devices 2 to 3 years from now. We are in this for the long term, especially seeing that our games like Into the Dead and Flick Kick football are still going strong after 3 or even 4 years.

We know this limits our market in the short term, but in just over a year from now the "iPhone 7" will be out there and active non Metal accelerated devices will be a small fraction of the marketplace, while Breakneck is still hopefully one of the better looking experiences on the App Store.

19. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Game would be cool if the Framerate was steady. But it dips to 10 at points on my iPhone 6 and that for me makes these twitch games near impossible to play successfully