Bug Heroes by Foursaken Media - dual stick shooter/RPG/castle defense [Submitted]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Inside a computer. I don't know why I just thought of that, seeing as it's the most random and stupid thing I could think of, but just think about how much you could do with the environment as far as obstacles and creating levels goes.

Otherwise I'd suggest maybe a front/back yard. Again, lots of opportunities for environmental changes, as well as stuff like anthills, which can constantly spawn ants to help or something.

Oh yeah, include some easter eggs involving N.Y.Zombies. I personally like to see those sorts of things in there, and I'm sure many others would too. It could even be something small, like an action figure of a zombie or one of the trophies in the game.

2. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

There are already a few NYZ goodies hidden in the game ;)

Inside a computer is an interesting idea... probably too small for what we are going for though.

I like the lego/toy area idea, and an outside/yard environment as a nice change of pace so far.

Thanks everyone so far, keep the ideas coming!

3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    #63 da shiz wiz 19, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
    The thread title successfullly piqued my interest. RPG + Dual Stick shooters sounds like something new. I felt like A4E's RPG scheme didn't have enough strategy involved. Can't wait for more info

Environments for a bug? Hmm well of course theres the picnic and the kitchen floor and such, but they're overdone. Why not something like the dark, damp 'tunnels' below the foundation of a house. Or outside on the front lawn in a dark, rainy day. You could also put it on a beach for a level void of obstructions/cover.

4. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Agreed... unfortunately I think that more often then not upgrades in most games are just kind of "thrown in there" without much thought into making them really add something to the game play.

In Bug Heroes, each of the 3 heroes has a unique role which in itself will involve lots of strategy (you can instantly switch between any of the 3 heroes at any time), but then we also have an RPG like level and experience system with upgradeable stats, and ~10 abilities/pieces of equipment per hero (equippable into 4 active slots) that will further give players tons of options... more importantly we have over 20 very different enemies which really will make you think about your strategy and which hero or equipment to use.

And good ideas, thinking outside the box. Something at a beach or another unique environment could be interesting. I also like the damp foundation of a house...

5. Wired360

Wired360 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Medical Student
    Out of the box hmmm... what about a mini city? Like paris with the Eiffel Tower/Rome with a coliseum/or another major city? Also for a hobby like room, maybe a giant train set?

6. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Will this game be story driven as well?

7. Sevendust

Sevendust Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    GA
    If it isn't, I can help with a story!

8. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    #68 RonBurgundy, Jul 11, 2010
    How about under my entertainment center? (Lol jk)
    Hmm here are some excellent locations...

Maybe by/in a picnic basket in yellowstone park far away from my house?
    By my grill behind my house?
    By my food rations in my poorly made bomb shelter made from sticks and stones and plaster of paris in the basement of my house?
    In a fastfood joint, by my house?
    In my house?
    Near a tipped over trashcan beside my house?
    In my hidden stash in my house?
    By Gregory House's office?
    A bar named roadhouse near my house?
    The house next to my house?
    The supermarket across the street from my house?

9. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

There will be a good amount of story in the game (I'll explain more about the modes and other specifics probably next week). I don't know if I would call it story driven per se, but it will keep you engaged... hopefully ;). I think ultimately Bug Heroes will be more about character development because of the depth of our level and stat system and all the skills and equipment. Then again I wouldn't have called N.Y.Zombies story driven but that seemed to end up being a huge plus for tons of players, which was a pleasant surprise.

Love the train set idea Wired!

Lol @ RonBurgandy. A supermarket is intriguing though... also kind of like the idea of an alley tipped over garbage cans and stuff. hmmmm......

10. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Games without any sort, shape or form of story somehow make it abit pointless to try and win or finish the game.

11. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Agreed. Imo story is the glue that keeps you actually wanting to play more.

However, there are tons of successful games that forget about story or have a very lackluster one... mini gore and predators being a great example. Sometimes its fun to just go in there and kill things though, I have to admit.

12. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Yea, there are some exceptions, although minigore isn't really one of them for me. It's ot a bad game, but it isn't exactly amazing. same with doodle jump. Come on, who hasn't seen it? All my friends who don't have an iDevice are asking me if they can play Doodle Jump or Pocket God on my iPod.

13. RonBurgundy

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    #73 RonBurgundy, Jul 11, 2010
    Yea that's a tad messed up, Microsoft has Master Chief and Marcus Fenix, Sony has Snake and Drake, Nintendo has Mario and Samus Aran, Sega had Sonic and Apple has a jumping Q-bert look-alike squid and tortured pygmys... Huh?

14. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Haha, don't worry soon they'll have the Bug Heroes to take over that honor :p

15. Wired360

Wired360 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Medical Student
    I was wondering, are the environments going to be interactive? That was what I was thinking when I gave those ideas earlier. Such as the miniture city with building or the train set with running trains to trample? the enemy/friendly?

16. RonBurgundy

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    Maybe there could be like a boss round where you have to defend the ultimate prize, a STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE! (zomg!)

But I have no idea for the bosses or how it would work out... I just like cheesecake lol. :D

17. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    So what/who will the enemies be?

18. RonBurgundy

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    #78 RonBurgundy, Jul 11, 2010
  19. seang

seang Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    how about battling on a foosball table in the basement or the likes?:)
    or inside a piano in the living room? bugs battling across the keyboard??

20. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

@ Wired: Can't comment on environment interactivity quite yet ;)

@ Ron: Haha... while there aren't necessarily "bosses" per se, we have a lot of special, large and unique enemy types which are rare enough to constitute as "mini bosses."

@ iVaro: The enemies are other bugs trying to kill you or eat all your food. We have some really interesting enemies like slow moving caterpillars who cocoon up and hatch into kamikaze butterflies. Pill bugs who roll up into a ball if anything gets too close, making them immune to close combat damage. Elephant Snails which have baskets of fleas on top of their shells, acting as a mobile spawn point. Termites which can build tunnels which enemies spawn out of. Giant spiders which launch hordes of baby spiders which latch on to you and slow you down. Vampire Bugs which only come out at night/in the dark. And tons more. The main enemy in the game is the Scorpion Clan, which have basically enslaved half of the bug species and are forcing them to fight under them/scour for food.