Bug Heroes by Foursaken Media - dual stick shooter/RPG/castle defense [Submitted]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

@ Ron: haha hilarious. Yes, we have maggots in the game ;)

Cool/unique ideas! Keep them coming :D

2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

The piano idea is good! :)
    And then the piano would make a different sound, depending on wich keys the bugs are standing? :eek:

3. Wired360

Wired360 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Medical Student
    speaking of which, how about a centipede? It could be another unit or rather a boss/scorpion like clan for a later update? I suggested it only because I started studying down in the Carribean Islands over the summer and have seen them around... they are huge and truly fearsome! I'm not messing around either, they grow to be a foot long here and a venomous bite which essentially gives you a histomine overdose and sends you into anaphylactic shock! (ok slightly nerdy comment on the end but think about it!)

4. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Actually we already have centipede's in the game (see cinematic trailer on first post)... they are huge ;)

5. Wired360

Jun 12, 2010
    Medical Student
    I can't believe I missed that... oh well... any flying/swimming units?

6. Shadow Zangetsu

Shadow Zangetsu Active Member

Jun 23, 2010
    i think a scrap yard would be a good place for a battle smashed up cars loads of junk you could put any thing in it its your scrap yard :p

7. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I like the idea of an underground level such as the ants home.

This could be an opportunity for an added strategic element of defending different tunnels and routes that the enemies crawl down.

Also, maybe in a massive oak tree with enemies crawling up the trunk.

On a plane?

In a forest/rainforest (maybe an opportunity to add some new enemies).

On a clock (you are in the middle, enemies coming from all sides. Maybe include come sort of interactivity with the clock handles, even tell you the real time).

On a pool table (enemies crawling from pockets, balls are obstacles).

On top of some famous land mark or building. Here you could be able to swipe bugs off the building with the beetle. Maybe even a danger to you. Also wind could be an interactive element.

On a boat?

Maybe you could have some sort of battle ground with trenches and barricades.

Inside some sort of mechanical machine (a printing press or something which includes lots of moving obstacles).

Hope some of these ideas provides inspiration.

Good luck with the game!

I'll post more if I think of any.

Mad

8. Wired360

Jun 12, 2010
    Medical Student
    Hmmm I was thinking amusment park maybe? Or a toy like amusement park with lego buildings/rides and a rollercoaster of some kind? Or both!?

9. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I know I might be a bit late, but I couldn't agree more. Most of the games I play have great storylines, like MGS or Final Fantasy games, but there's a lot of times where I just want some straight up action, the best of those games being Burnout games, going on rampages in GTA and Dead Rising (Although both have pretty cool campaigns), or Black (which I've been meaning to pick up for some time).

But I almost always much prefer games with awesome storylines.

10. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Those are some really interesting ideas madmud! :D

And thanks everyone else for the ideas... the more to consider, the merrier ;)

@Somerandomdude: I think the hardest part is actually presenting the story in a non intimidating way. Many RPGs and games like Xenome, imo, force you to sit through TOO much text at a time... they may have great stories, but its almost too much of a burden to sit through some of the story bits and get into the cool parts.

I think the best way is lots of little short and sweet tidbits... I felt N.Y.Zombies had about the longest story bits you could have in an action game without the average human just getting bored with it and skipping it altogether (especially for an iPhone game).

In Bug Heroes we'll have a good story for sure (think along the lines of N.Y.Zombies amount), but the game play we also feel is deep and interesting enough to drive itself (much more then a simple, one dimensional shooter like mini gore for example).

11. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Will there be voice overs?

12. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Yes we plan on really fleshing out the personalities of the 3 heroes, so there will be voice overs and small blurbs throughout the game. The main story and dialogue will be text though.

13. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Hope you don't make them too corny though(Pirate's treasure has some of the worst one-liners)

14. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Haha eeew heck no. We're not in the business of adding things for the sake of adding things, which is I think what happens with really bad one liners. They think "hey, little voice overs would be cool" and then they have no idea what to say so just throw stuff in.

Our blurbs will be more neutral and about the characters personalities rather then just saying random stupid stuff ;)

15. Der-Kleine

16. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

I really want to post some screen shots but the UI art just isn't ready right now :(

Anyway, a bit more details about the game...

[​IMG]

The Food Stash

The main objective of the game is to protect your food stash. To help you do this you can build and upgrade its 4 slots with different types of weapons -- from machine guns, to bug zappers, to snipers which can shoot across a whole map. Additionally, you will have to constantly be exploring and looking out for bits and scraps of food to collect to bring back to restore your stash's health. You can also choose to eat some of the food in your stash to heal damaged heroes. This is an integral mechanic in the game that makes the basic game play much more interesting then simply "defend and kill."

Game play and Game Modes

There are 2 modes in Bug Heroes: the Standard game mode, and a Colosseum mode.

Both modes will be similar to a survival shooter, where you pick an environment and essentially last as long as possible. However, in the Standard game mode, each endless play through will offer something different, as there will be random side quests and other non combat objectives you can choose to complete for a higher overall score and more importantly to uncover the story and background of the Bug Heroes world. Average game lengths for this mode will be several hours per game, depending on the difficulty you choose, but will be perfect for quick pick up and play spurts as well. There will be tons of replayability with all the equipment combinations and different ways you can level your heroes up, not to mention the story and achievements to unlock.

In Colosseum mode, the focus is more on fast action and shorter play times. You will pick one hero, and fight through an onslaught of waves until you die. This mode will be difficult and competitive because each hero has a weakness, and you must use their equipment appropriately to overcome these deficiencies.

Both modes will have an online leader board.

As always, questions are welcome! :D

17. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Question : How much do you want for me to get it right now?

18. Der-Kleine

How much have you thought about that the game isn't finished yet?

19. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Haha not sure how much fun it would be when you can't even tell what is what in the UI yet ;)

20. Wired360

Jun 12, 2010
    Medical Student
    Any thoughts about beta testers?