Bug Heroes by Foursaken Media - dual stick shooter/RPG/castle defense [Submitted]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA

I'll start the bidding at $1,000 USD

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Any plans for a zombie survival mode? Every good game needs a secret (or not so secret) zombie survival mode. You could possibly even make a small recreation of N.Y.Zombies' map. Just a thought, but I think it'd be pretty fun.

3. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

hmmm... defending food in a trainstation while in the background some random dude (no, I don't mean you! ;)) is killing zombies who are comming into a train in wich he is standing.

4. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

That's it???! Pssssh, don't get cheap on me ;)

@ Somerandomdude The problem with environments in this game is that you wouldn't be able to recognize anything "ordinary" because you're a tiny bug and the perspective is so zoomed in... so recreating an N.Y.Zombies level for ex would be indistinguishable from a regular level.

@ Der Kleine... haha "some random dude", clever :p Yeah we'll just take the A-Train level from N.Y.Zombies and make you fight amongst the feet of the main guy and all the zombies. Seriously though, that gives me some more ideas...

5. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    You could also make a level where in addition to enemy bugs, there's these humans that randomly pop in and mercilessly kill random bugs with chemical spray or a huge foot.

Another level idea would be inside a house where there's an ant hole in the wall, and you crawl along granite tiling until you reach the ant hole, where then you go down into the ant hole and exterminate all enemy presence...

The possibilities really are endless with this.

6. Der-Kleine

to be honest, I didn't notice that I had quoted somerandomdude untill I wrote that part of the post. :D

what I meant was that you fight in the trainstation and at some random time the train comes into the station with thatrandomdude killing zombies.

Edid: Oh yea, and when the train doors open thatrandomdude must shout something like "ack! more zombies!" and then you must here a MG! (so: Ack! more Zombies! Ratatatatatatatatatatat!)

7. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Yeah I think it will be really fun to play around with different levels and unique things like that from a bug's perspective...

In fact i don't even know if there is a game on the app store yet to explore things from a miniature perspective, is there?

8. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    Through all the experiences I've had, no, there hasn't been a game like this. :)

EDIT: Will you have friendly units that fight alongside you? So far most games don't have smart allies that work with you and move around too (like an enemy unit, except it's on your side and has a ton of health). If an ally dies then it's permanently gone, so you have to work together with it to be able to survive. That'd be awesome. Any ideas if this is doable or not?

9. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

While it could be a great idea, we have to be careful that the game doesn't get too complicated. Between upgrading your base and its turrets, buying stuff for your 3 different heroes, switching between them to maximize their strengths/weaknesses, leveling up, and collecting food, we already have so much going on with just the basic game play, adding ally NPC's would just be another layer that could tip it over the edge in terms of complexity and simply having TOO much stuff to do. We have also streamlined the game play to revolve around skillful use of specific heroes and abilities, which ally NPC's would disrupt. It would just require too much reworking to really get to work right.

That being said, it is definitely an idea that has yet to be done really well -- if at all in a dual stick shooter -- and something I would love to see expanded on -- you've already got me brainstorming on future game ideas. Realistically its not going to happen in Bug Heroes though :( But we do feel that switching between the 3 main heroes in the midst of battle will be something different and just as cool... hoping at least ;)

10. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    Aw. :(

What about having just lame mini ants that act as cannon fodder? I mean, you have to have at least a couple of dudes fighting on your side, no matter how weak they are. It'd make the game just that much more epic. :D

Really want to see how this turns out though. Any gameplay video soon?

11. Wired360

Wired360 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Medical Student
    Got a great location! Inside a refrigerator! You can have a level in the freezer where there would be ice covering everything and possibly a vertical stage for the refrigerator... or both!

12. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    Wouldn't the ants die in there?

13. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    #113 RonBurgundy, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
    Well then it is a easy victory! :D Or easy defeat? :eek:... Tie? :confused:
    But these bugs have guns, swords, armor, gadgets, I would not be surprised if they have jackets in their arsenal. ;)

14. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Maybe it could be a timed level where you have to finish the level before the time is up, also to make it better you could be continuously losing life and you have to pick up food scattered around the fridge to survive!

15. RonBurgundy

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    #115 RonBurgundy, Jul 18, 2010
    I got a great idea for a ability/item for the spider!
    So when activated he will throw a white sphere/grenade-like object that upon impact... Surprise! A swarm of baby spiders spew out, swarming a couple of enemies nearby causing a little bit of damage but is more of a distraction as they will be frantically trying to swat them off of them! It won't affect larger baddies of course, just cause some DOT to them.

Think of the "OMG F***IN' BEES RUNAWAY!" power from Bioshock. :D

16. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Interesting level ideas guys... I actually like the idea of gradually losing food, I might use that as a side quest idea ;) The again you will probably gradually be losing food anyway from hordes of grubs and kamikaze butterflies eating and blowing up your food... we are balancing it so that it is important to always be searching and looking out for food to collect and bring back to base.

As for the baby spiders, haha we actually have an enemy which does that, almost word for word what you described :cool:. Its a huge spider which spawn mass hordes of really fast but weak baby spiders which latch on to you and slow you down and do minor damage over time.

Having it as a player ability could be interesting.... good part is that abilities and equipment are one of the more feasible things we can add to the game, and probably one of the first things we'll do as a future update. But on the flip side, we are making sure to carefully plan each one... there isn't a single ability in the game that doesn't have an important use, and we made sure to make as few redundant abilities as possible. As it stands, you will really be thinking/experimenting with your equipment and load out and we've given players some cool and unique options :)

17. RonBurgundy

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    #117 RonBurgundy, Jul 18, 2010
    It's great that you are planning on giving us updates! (We thank you for that! ;))

I was thinking maybe in cold levels there could be maybe a little blue bar under your health that fills up slowly. And when it gets full you take damage over time and to decrease it (pretty much warm back up) you have to get near a campfire (or your base, whatever works) that is set up in the level for a few seconds.

It would add a bit of a sense of urgency/challenge as you have to slaughter as much as you can to protect your food stash and run away to warm back up or you will face a cold... cold... death.

Also perhaps food you find could restore a bit of health. (Is this game going for health bar or a cod/halo style avoid damage a bit and you will regen health?)

Another alternative to the "dot when cold" is when the bar fills up all the way a count-down timer starts that when depleted you will die, and a third alternative is when the bar fills up and until you bring it back down you will either move REALLY slow or freeze up for a couple of seconds at random times perhaps.

EDIT: woops sorry iVaro I kinda stole your ideas lol...

18. Der-Kleine

some more level ideas:

The wizards tower: With a skeleton sweeping the floor and occasionally sweeping some bugs away

Toy Race Car Track: Avoid the cars!

Classroom: Every let's say 45 seconds, the teacher shouts at the kids, the noise will take away some of your life/HP! :p

Cinema: Watch out, the film is in REAL 3D (Yep, the bullets from the action film that is playing actually come out of the screen)

19. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Health will be handled RPG-ish, with "HPs" that can be increased with level ups. Heroes will regen their health very slowly when not selected as the active hero. The larger mechanic is the food eating bit, where you can choose to eat food from your food stash in order to replenish any heroes health. Of course the downside to this is it detracts food from your base, making it easier to all get eaten by enemy bugs. Its a nice element that forces you to think about how much food you want to leave in your base vs how much you want to eat with your heroes to keep them high on health, and also forces you to keep a look out for food throughout the map.

@ Der-Kleine -- Interesting ideas! I see you're a strong advocate for environmental hazards ;) We haven't decided if/how much of this we want to work in quite yet, but keep the ideas coming :)

Question to everyone: does anyone think having RPG style damage numbers when you hit guys detracts from a game (think: Monster Mayhem)? We are trying to decide whether this would be a good addition to naturally help players figure out what best counters what, and how much damage things do without having to post complicated stat charts throughout the game.

20. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I like damage numbers, especially on boss fights. However, it is not a huge deal if there are none.