Universal Bug Heroes (by Foursaken Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Nekcik, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Oxynidus

Oxynidus Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Is this about me?

2. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Or else we should just accept that there are a lot more "1" songs than "5", and the average rating is not necessarily "3". Which has been my point all along. You have to pick one or the other---either the average rating (over all games) is less than 3, or a rating of 3 corresponds to a pretty bad game.

3. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Hey, bro, I'm hardly a David DJ fan, but his credentials are legitimate and he does know a thing or two about numbers.

You're way out of your depth here. Quit while you're behind.

4. COHagan23

COHagan23 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Wow, what a convoluted argument about ratings and averages I see going back and forth. Personally I think both sides of the argument including the maths are more or less irrelevant.

I believe when you rate a game you are rating it in a vacuum and on it's own merits not on a scale relative to every other game on the iTMS. And the verbal descriptions of the iTMS ratings back that belief up (i.e. - 1 = hate it, 2 = don't like it, 3 = it's okay, 4 = it's good, 5 = it's great).

When does average =/= average?? When the terms are used in different contexts (noun vs adjective) - and that is what I've seen a lot of here.

Example: I believe Game A to be of average (adj) quality (i.e. "it's okay"). I also believe the average (adj) game on the iTMS to be of poor quality (i.e. "don't like it") while the average (noun) of iTMS game ratings is an actual arithmetic average.

For the average (noun) game rating to be average (adj.) you would need to apply a curve just like your chemistry prof does when the majority of the class fails her overly difficult exam.

ON TOPIC:

I love Bug Heroes. It is above average in every sense of the word, in my humble opinion.

5. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    And to get things back on a more productive slant, has anyone figured out a good strategy with the new heroes to get the "Call the Artillery" achievement?

I never got any of these "build 4X" achievements with the original game, but using the combo of Termite & Fly (+ Ant) was able to both keep enough food to keep heroes healed and convert excess food into money (+ theft for a little extra cash as well) that I was able to just squeeze in the four MG and four sniper achievements before getting overwhelmed through these sub-optimal teams and base load outs.

The same general idea did NOT work with firecracker turrets at all. Was barely keeping my head above water for most of the game, was spending more food on healing heroes than converting into cash, and was eventually ended by no food left in the base since FC turrets are seemingly worthless against centipedes.

I suppose I could just build four mushroom turrets and run around with Ant and a mini gun until I've got $15,000 and build them all at once, but given that's been deemed an unintended exploit, I'd rather come up with something more legit.

6. ninjarash

ninjarash New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    bug heroes is the best game Ive had on my ipod touch. also i play it every day of the day to try to get more achievements and higher rounds into the round 50s

7. Oxynidus

Dec 11, 2010
    Cracked Restaurant without using the mushroom or shotgun exploits. Round 34.

8. Dyelon

Dyelon Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    give us some strats/vibes you got for the new heroes/skills/levels/enemies my dude....

btw im actively trying to beat your score on garden hahah...i got 4k less than you on my best try

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Future updates should include periodic boss battles; that would be insane. Maybe for example a garden snake or even a more beefier version of a standard enemy.

10. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #2770 GodSon, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
    I'm all for a larger enemy every 10th round or so as a boss battle of some sort(stronger and with more HP compared to other bugs). It would drop more gold, a random guaranteed piece of food, and more exp than the normal sized bug of it's type. The boss bug could also maybe have a different color/some type of simple item or clothing to differentiate it from the rest. Not a bad idea at all. ;)

11. Nekcik

Nekcik Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Aiken, South Carolina
    This is the idea that I came up with on page 171 of this thread.

12. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    @Nekcik I remember your post but I just thought it was doing too much. Having existing larger bugs(with maybe different variations so you can tell there bosses) or new bug bosses in general would make more sense to the game and probably easier to balance in(even your idea of the hornet and flying cockroach would work as bosses) once every 10th, 20th, etc round. It just sounds way too farfetched that a Platypus, Cat, Squirrel, Robot, Turtle and especially a human hand holding a flyswatter would lose to one of the Bug Heroes; especially if they were meant to be boss battles(even stronger and with more HP).

Not discrediting you but that's my personal view on the ideas with how the game currently plays. I could see The platypus, hand, and squirrel implemented in the game on those certain levels with the same background roles that the cat, robot, and turtle play, but that's about it...

13. SuRfPiG

SuRfPiG Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Best Game I have

Bug Heroes is one of the best games in the app store in my opinion. Ive been playing it for a while now, and Ive been watching these forums about it at the same time. Its great to see a game so supported! Ive brought all the IAP ( I had to buy a new gift card for it... well worth it lol) I cant wait for the next update to come out, because even though the mushroom exploit is fun, I want the leader boards to mean something again. I hope you continue to release updates for the game so it remains to be new and fun. Great game!

oh by the way, Pond has been very glitchy for me since the update. One second glitches have become more frequent and so has crashing :(

14. Nekcik

Nekcik Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Aiken, South Carolina
    #2774 Nekcik, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
    I've actually experienced a few types of Bug related incidents myself now that we are talking about it.

Playing in yard stage after playing for about an hour or so I noticed it got so congested it sorta glitched and the bullets flying from friendly fire turned from normal bullets to white squares.

Noticed a crash in same stage as well after an hour or so after completing a quest when the sound goes "Ding" and the notification box opens game crashes.

(As mentioned in an earlier post by someone else) Siege maggots tongues don't take away food.

Some quests do not complete even after it's been completed, usually will give credit when you save/quit and re-open the game and continue.

In the game's menu it would be nice if the "New" in red over the Store would disappear after you buy the IAP.
    no reason for it to be there if you've already purchased all of them.

I think those are the ones I noticed so far... well add more as I find them.

15. Oxynidus

Dec 11, 2010
    Alright. Here are my impressions of the heroes:

Beetle:

Rating: 10/10

Very high armor, regeneration and a wide AOE attack makes him the perfect tank and the perfect counter to small bugs. Stuns and knockbacks makes him excellent at keeping larger bugs back, including centipedes. His abilities and equipment are highly useful in virtually all situations. His shockwave allows him to wipe out legions of enemies with ease while knocking them back. That's one hero that's difficult to replace.

Spider:

Rating: 10/10

The perfect assassin. High speed, powerful attacks and abilities allow you to complete quests and taking out large bugs with ease. Her abilities make her not only the perfect damage dealer, but also a valuable defender with abilities like Spider Web. Her speed allows her to effectively avoid all kinds of damage.

Ant:

Rating: 9/10

While his abilities are tremendously useful, especially Teleport, Ant Hole and Life Support, his regular attacks remain mediocre until you spend a lot of money upgrading his weapon and equipping him with abilities such as Big Bullets and Piercing Bullets. He's not my favorite hero, but his abilities make him irreplaceable.

Worm:

Rating: 8/10

Worm provides unrivaled firepower and a lot of great abilities. However, he's extremely fragile, and one mistake could cost you the game. Additionally, he's also slow and has no effective escape abilities, so you have to be ready to swap him at all times. The main advantage of playing with worm is his ability to take out large amounts of bugs from a distance with his weapon quicker than any other hero. His auto-cannon provides superb damage and knockback against medium and heavy enemies. Unfortunately, his slowness and fragility doesn't allow you to make full use of him.

Ladybug:

rating: 7/10

While a powerful hero, with strong offensive and defensive abilities, she can't do much that Spider can't do more safely and efficiently. Spider's blades are much easier to aim, and in addition to her speed, that gives her a great advantage in hit-and-run situations. Ladybug has a defense advantage, but that comes at the cost of higher damage and speed, and since she makes a poor tank, it's not worth it. I'd take Spider over her any day in a serious game. She just seems too situational.

Fly:

Rating: 7/10

I may not have given this hero enough of a chance, since there are many different ways to play with him. For now, I'm giving him a 7. This hero has a lot of interesting abilities and attributes. His ability to make money is what distinguishes him most to me. His abilities are generally powerful. His speed and his immunity to slime makes him the most mobile hero. His main drawback is that his regular attacks are really weak unless you spend a ton of money upgrading it and buying abilities to complement it. Another drawback is that he doesn't have much of an ability to escape when surrounded, which is really a problem with most of the new heroes. He's excellent at Coliseum games, but I think you'd be putting yourself at a disadvantage by taking him in an Adventure game.

Stick:

Rating: 7/10

His attacks aren't particularly impressive, even though they deal very high damage against singular targets; they are very hard to aim, and very easily intercepted by smaller bugs. I believe Worm's auto-cannon provides far superior firepower against single targets than even a fully upgraded Stick. He is slow and fragile. However, he does have an impressive array of offensive AOE abilities. Earthquake is a superb ability to get rid of swarms of grubs and other small bugs. He could be worth having in the team just to use his abilities from time to time. He's soon gaining a teleportation ability, which may bump him up to 8/10 in my list.

Grasshopper:

Rating: 6/10

If I understand correctly, hopper is supposed to be an alternative to Beetle. Unfortunately, he's much more fragile, and his attacks are unpredictable. His attacks don't have as large of an AOE as Beetle. He has some interesting supporting abilities, and some damaging ones, but unfortunately, none of them are what you may consider a must-have. His attacks are inferior to Beetle's against small and large bugs alike, and he is far less resilient, and his abilityies hardly make up for those shortcomings.

Termite:

Rating: 5/10

Granted, I haven't given the hero enough of a chance. It's clear that a lot of the top players have managed to put him to good use. However, I'm not a fan of having to spend ridiculous amounts of money to make use of a hero. I'll probably change my view of this hero once I've spent more time with him, but for now I'm giving him a 5. I do like his cultivator though.

16. SuRfPiG

SuRfPiG Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Ive also encountered the siege bug issue. Does anyone know if the update that was submitted covers that? I usually only get the incomplete quest status glitch only with centipede defense( forgot the actual name of the quest)
    Despite these small glitches, the game is really good. And the fact that they are there should not deter anyone from getting it.

Has foursaken released any hints about the surprise update?

17. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA
    I gotta say I would give him a 10/10. I find his two turret skills to be amazing, combined with his level up skills that make them last longer and have longer ranger. You can end up making a huge pile of turrets throughout the whole map, or in a small area. Just my opinion on him though.

18. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Nice analysis. Thankses. While yer all knowledgeable and stuff, would you happen to know the exact effects of armor piercing? Ignores all armor? Halves it? Something else entirely, far more funky?

19. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    termite is great in coliseum, and probably easy and normal adventure.
    but, where it really matters, adventure hard, he is too expensive.

20. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Agreed, you almost have to team him up with Fly Bandit for the additional cashflow to make it a more effective game in Hard Mode.