Universal Bug Heroes (by Foursaken Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Nekcik, Jan 6, 2011.

1. gongalong

gongalong New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    +1 to this idea. I really enjoy the game as-is, and I think it's surprisingly well-balanced for how many different upgrade paths there are. Switching to a persistent system is going to require a major re-work of that, and I don't think the gains are worth it. Especially since one of the most fun things about this game is how different it plays depending on your upgrade choices, persistence would take that away.

An accelerated start, though.. that would be awesome. Something like choosing your starting wave, and then getting an allotment of XP and money depending on the wave. There would need to be new UI for awarding the XP to your heroes, but I doubt it would be more work than a persistent leveling system.

2. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a persistent mode. I think many people would even pay for an IAP that unlocks it, so you dont have to choose between one or the other.

Having a character to continuously level is a more enticing goal than just beating a high score. To me at least.

3. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    Indeed, agreed.

4. TooTinyMan

TooTinyMan Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Over there --->
    How about there is a whole new mode for persistent? Then there are three: Adventure, Coliseum, and whatever the persistent mode will be called.

5. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    +1
    An extra Wave mode as described above sounds great. You could unlock them by beating them, like reaching wave 10. After that you can choose to start at wave 10 next time and get the XP and money you earned in the game when you unlocked it. You can go from there on to unlock wave 20 or replay from wave 1 to 10 to try and get more money and XP.
    But make wave mode an additional mode and leave the original in.

This game is really great as it is. Gameplaywise it´s somehow perfect.

6. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    non-persistant, please.

also, between rounds, when the loading box pops up (I'm on iPod touch 1G), the controls disengage. could you fix that? thanks!

7. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Persistent would mess up the leaderboards.

I'm not one to play for high score, usually... But I think that if I felt I really did well enough, I may post it.

It's not necessarily a bad idea.. But it would have to have seperate leaderboards than the current game types.

Part of what is so nice about restarting every time is the ability to mess around and try out different strategies.

Now starting with larger, faster, easier waves in the beginning may be nice to get things started.. Which I guess go toward the Accelerated mode people seem to be mentioning.

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think the idea for persistence was a few additional persistent elements (there are already some), but without breaking the current way Bug Heroes is played. Not to make the general advancement mechanics persistent.

9. Tiax

Tiax Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I strongly support the "choose the startig wave idea"!

10. QBC

QBC Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    So I've played the game for a good amount of time and here are my thoughts on it:

It's really good. Better than your typical dual stick. The graphics are really good ad really shine and I can only imagine how they look on 4th generation's retina display. I also love how it turns from day to night and how the game (at least in Adventure) doesn't really stop. It's a nice touch.

The gameplay is absolutely solid. Being able to switch between the three characters at any time is a great feature. So far I use Spider the most, but I really like Ant. I like the maps available, but I haven't unlocked any yet as my inability to get past Round 7. Colosseum is a great mode that strips it down to its basics and is just a dual stick shooter (with leveling).

If I were to suggest things for the future I would suggest:
    -Game Center
    -More heroes would be awesome! :D
    -I would love to see a persistent mode. Maybe have "Story", "Adventure", and "Colosseum." I'd love to see that, because I think it'd be incredibly fun to have an epic story to it.
    -Just a small nitpick, but better organized menus, but again, that;s a small nitpick.

Great game, guys! :D

11. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    GameCenter and new heroes are coming, while persistent mode is still up in the air.

What exactly is long with the menu organization?

12. QBC

QBC Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Nothing really, I'm just a bit OCD, so I'm a bit paranoid. :p

Good to hear about Game Center and the new heroes! :D

13. TooTinyMan

TooTinyMan Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Over there --->
    Paranoid? About menu organization??:confused:

14. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Thanks for the impressions :) If you really want to unlock the new levels, don't forget you can just play on easy to unlock stuff and then back to normal to really play.

15. dizzyjw

dizzyjw Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Ok. Now I'm starting to get frustrated. I still can't make it past wave 20. I've tried so many different strategies. Dang... There for a little while I couldn't even make it past wave 5. I don't what happened there. Something has to be changed whether it's the persistent idea or maybe like a rewind where you can jump back a couple waves and try again without starting from square one. I don't know. But it is kind of demoralizing to make it to level 20, play the game again and only make it to level 10. You can tell I just lost can't you. I had to come straight on here and vent a little...

16. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Yea, some kind of checkpoint system. Start the level over/continue if you die would be typical. Perhaps if continue score can't be submitted to leadersboards.

17. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Does Spider now start out faster and stronger with the update? I'm enjoying the game more now - could be the update, could be my frame of mind today is more in line with the experience the game offers.

18. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Good news to iPad owners -- Universal support is officially on the way :)

19. dizzyjw

dizzyjw Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Universal... YES!!!! Thank you. I finally made it past wave 20. I made it to wave 22. I'm ranked 71 for now. Dang that was hard. I wish there was an upgrade for your cool down time on your specials. Even if were like 3 or 4 thousand $. It would be worth the money. Like for 3000$ it would make it 15% faster, then have 5000$ upgrade for 30%. Also a money making upgrade would be good too... Like some of the cartoon warriors upgrades... If you do that you start defining the game as a dual stick/RPG/tower and castle defense game... Starting to get deep now huh

20. Nice didn't notice update was out :)