iPad Bug Heroes Quest by Foursaken Media -- casual action/adventure/RPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Aug 2, 2011.

1. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Awesome. That's good to hear:D

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Does anyone have even the slightest idea on how to get past the fifth garage level, "Rendervouz", where Spider has to kill 50 enemies?

On my last try (I've done old Spider levels for quite some time now, grinding to make Spider stronger), I was assaulted by five slugs, six armour ants, three ant warriors and at least one flea gunner team. With the cramped quarters of this map, and the fact that Spider only has 3 abilities at this stage of the game, I can find no way to either maneuver clear of the throng of enemies, or kill them fast enough to prevent them from growing into a horde.

3. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Hey can anyone help? I am stuck on level 3 of Beatle and I love this game but can not get past that part?? Any tips. I allways make it to the boss with over half of my life but die in like 10 sec. its so hard. But it is a great game anyways. and bty I have beatle up to level 12 or somthing like that so I don't think I need to level up any more. please help.

4. jared9876

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
  5. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Use Evade for sure. Wht else do you have? Poison would help, also Ant Cleaver? I can't remember what I had when I first got to that level though.

On my ipod touch I have not gotten as far, but I see that I already have the snare web. Use that to slow down the armoured ants and fleas - and use your speed to keep out of their way. Remember, you can approach an armoured ant to get him to swing at you, get out of the way, then come back and kill him before he can swing again. He doesn't touch you at all then.

6. Mr. Grizzly

May 20, 2011
    When I get on a newer or tougher level, I first make sure I find the skill master and/or the chest. As long as you can get that, you keep the skill or weapon even if you die right after - then play again with whatever you got. Should be a little easier.

Is level three with the armoured ant(s) then the scorpions? That's a tough one. You will need to possibly level up even a little more - then run around the edge of the map, circling the enemies until you can take them out. You don't need to kill the scorpion - just make sure you can take a bit of damage when you finally get to im. Up your Health and Regeneration a bit first.

7. jared9876

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    I not sure but I can't even defeat the armored ant boss. So I douht I could beat the scorpian. oh well I will just level up more.

8. Mr. Grizzly

May 20, 2011
    You don't defeat the scorpion, but you do meet up with him and get into a fight.

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Oh, he can be defeated (rather easily at that), but another one will spawn shortly afterwards. Regardless, as you say, the point of this level is not to win.

I've been playing Bug Heroes since the day of release, and while I am certainly nowhere near the top of any leaderboards, I've got basic maneuvers and tactics (such as making Armoured Ants misswing) down for the better part of the last year or so ;) Since I was dealing with a huge hord of enemies, and no room to maneuver, no application of Web, Evade or Executioner could help me survive. Changing my tactics drastically, however, did, as I noticed that certain movement patterns would trick the AI, and the use of temporary choke points (a second at each point, at the most, otherwise overrun occurs) allowed me to survive just barely.

I was hoping these boards would provide me with such advanced advice, but finding it out for myself was nice as well ;) Thanks fer trying ;)

I'm beginning to wonder if my spawn rates might be wonked, or if months of Bug Heroes has left me ill prepared and completely out of sync with how to play Bug Heroes Quest. I just had four elephant snails spawn around me, in a neat half circle, when there was another five already on the map (the mission where Spider, Ant and Beetle seach for food morsels before splitting up).

10. Mr. Grizzly

May 20, 2011
    No, the spawn rate on that level is psycho. A few others had posted about it. Basically, run, dodge, run, and run some more. Get the chest if you can. FM, said an elephant snail is supposed to spawn every two minutes on that level - but in about 30-45 seconds, one spawns, and then every second or two after that! If you get surrounded, say goodbye!

11. jared9876

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    ok thanks I will try to beat it now.

12. jared9876

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    hey guys thanks I beat the level and now am playing as Ant!!!!!!

13. ShallowGamer

ShallowGamer Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Foursquare
    So what exactly is this in relation to the original Bug Heroes? Not a tower defense but an RPG instead? Or a tower defense mixed with RPG elements?

I'm just a bit flustered trying to understand the differences between the two IP's.

14. jared9876

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    I am now on the level with bettle in the kichen and I can not find old ant I have been every where. any help?

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Same IP. Bug Heroes Quest is an action-rpg with dual stick shooter controls, (relatively) heavy on story elements, character customization and development, and some very light tower defense/base defense mechanics as a part of some few scenarios. Basically, you control Spider, Beetle and Ant from the original BH and go through different quests and maps, speak to NPCs, find new equipment, learn from skill masters, and progress along an overarching metaplot, rpg-quest-discovery-story-style. With the exception of the fact that you still play different levels (as opposed to an open world), and the realtime dual stick shooter controls, the overall makeup is much like classic RPGs such as Baldur's Gate and Fallout, but bite- and pocket-sized.

As for differences to the original, you don't have a home base as in the original BH, you don't purchase turrets, sometimes you only control one or two of the three characters, there are tons of maps, and parts of character progression is handled differently, as you don't buy equipment/abilities with money, but instead find them throughout your adventures. You also visit skill masters to switch out your four level-up skills.

It is said to be a casual action rpg, but thanks to the depth of character progression (same abilities/equipment, but with five weapons per character, and the four level up skills from BH has been expanded by another 5-10 switchable level up skills per character), I hesitate to call it such.

With the exception of some gargantually unbalanced levels, or perhaps the strange difficulty fluctuations notwithstanding (the difficulty rating can go from fun romp-casual to BH Coliseum round 20 on hard, and then back again, with no respect to the levels and abilities of your characters), it is my favourite action rpg for iOS (and possibly any platform), my favourite single player dual stick shooter of all time (though it transcends the definition), and one of the best App Store purchases I've made.

16. jared9876

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    can any one help me??

17. ShallowGamer

ShallowGamer Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Foursquare
    And to think I was not going to buy this. Harumph.

Imma go visit the app store see you in about 3 days.

18. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Saw a few reviews on appstore about difficulty (and the lack of a setting to change it).

Is this game casual friendly, or is it masochistic in nature?

19. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    I'm sure a casual gamer could easily get into this game. I kinda switch between being a casual gamer and a hardcore gamer every once in a while and I loved BHQ so I would recommend you get it. Then again, you can always try out the original bug heroes (theres a free one with iap and a deluxe one with no iap) if you want a little more pick up and play style.

20. dragonheart

dragonheart Active Member

Jun 30, 2011
    That's what happened to me. I was running for my life, then an annoying flea got in my way, stopping me. The poof! The elephant snails surround me, then spider dies. :eek: