Bug Heroes Survival Guide and Strategies [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by K?!, Jan 6, 2011.

1. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Glad I could help.

To action:
    You need to be more proactive and use Beetle more. You can't make it to high rounds by hiding behind your food stash. Upgrade Beetle's weapon, pick up adrenaline, and stand in front of your stash and push back and stun bugs. Ant is easy to use but he is also one of the weakest heroes in terms of damage. Beetle is the key to making it past round 20.

2. Invadorgrey

Invadorgrey Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2010
    student
    Chicago
    Wow never knew how useful beetle was. You should change the thread title to "In depth bug heroes survival guide" because this is a very detailed guide.

3. broadpfc

broadpfc Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Canada
    Now I became to realize that beetle is the final solution after round 22... Ant and spider are just too week. Any good strategy to tackle slugs? After I am poisoned, and thus armor decreased, I found it so easy to lose a great amount of health very soon.

4. Gritztastic

Gritztastic Active Member

Jan 28, 2010
    DC
    For dealing with slugs, I switch to spider to dodge the poison pools, but switch to Beetle if I get poisoned to reduce the damage taken until I get right next to the slug, then back to Spider and chop them down before they converge on my base. You can usually get two hits in with spider, run back while the slug attacks, then back in for 2 more hits. In the higher rounds, if multiple slugs spawn I'll pop Howitzer on Ant and take them all out.
    Waiting for them at the base though is a bad idea, I've found- you'll have a green moat of pwnage circling your base.

5. broadpfc

broadpfc Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks Gritztastic! Nice switching idea! Howitzer do take them down fast though. :)

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Does beetle's health regenerate even if you're using another hero? Like say I'm using spider, for example, does beetle's health still regenerate even though he's not in use?

7. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Yes. In fact, when Beetle is not selected his HPs regen even faster.

As for switching to Beetle when poisoned, don't forget slug slime removes all armor... so in fact Beetle gets owned extra hard when poisoned! He does have a bit more HPs though...

8. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Thanks for the guide it was very useful.

9. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply! :D

Wow really? So which hero is the best to switch to when poisoned?

10. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Whichever one has the most health, because you'll take the same amount of damage.

But consider that when you're hit, you want to avoid damage at all costs. So you might want to switch to Ant or Spider to get yourself out of a tough situation.

11. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Cool, thanks.

One more question, I usually buy and level turrets and then I save money to buy beetle the big stick and then the wrench. Should I buy anything before spending money for beetle's wrench?

12. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Is there a chart that dictates how much money it costs to revive a hero? per level? Also one thing that I think would really be great, is if when a hero died it told you in the equip screen exactly how much it costs to revive them based on there level, because otherwise your trying to save up money with your weakest hero but you never know how close you are.

13. Osmiral

Nov 19, 2009
    I would buy the ants "Life Support" and "Ant Hole" abilities, that way if your running low on health you can heal yourself without wasting food, and if your out doing a quest and get cornered you can just switch to ant and teleport back to your food stash.

14. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Awesome, thanks! :D

15. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

It does tell you how much it costs to revive a dead hero... its right above their portrait where their HPs are normally listed in the character select roll-out. Btw I think the cost in normal mode is $1500 + $200 or $300 per level. In easy mode its half the cost to revive dead heroes, and in hard of course you cannot revive dead heroes at all.

16. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    My rule of thumb is to get the big stick before wave 8 and the wrench before round 14, as those are pure defense waves. Pick up adrenaline or one stunning ability before round 8 and have them both and Smash 'Em before round 14. And get the ant abilities said above.

17. Osmiral

Nov 19, 2009
    Oh, I always play hard in any game so I was constantly wondering why I didn't see anything to revive them, maybe include a message or something that tells you when you play hard that you can't revive heros. Good to know. Thanks.

18. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    What should I work on next? I'll add descriptions for every turret, and then guides on how to beat every enemy, I suppose? Also, in anybody feels like writing up a guide or description for any level, bug, hero, or anything, it would be greatly appreciated.

19. Osmiral

Nov 19, 2009
    I would love to help but I don't have tons of experience with it yet. Maybe in a week or so when I've spent more time with the game.

20. Gritztastic

Gritztastic Active Member

Jan 28, 2010
    DC
    #100 Gritztastic, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
    Here's a pic of the spreadsheet I made for the tower upgrades. It's not complete- I didn't bother with Firecracker or Magnifier since I personally don't use them very much, and I'm assuming the Zapper % upgrades are additive, and I don't have Range, Rate of Fire, or DPS info.

[​IMG]

Ooh, good to know- Does the Beetle take less damage from the DoT effect of the slime?