Universal Cabals: The Card Game (by Kyy Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Agas, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Kyy Games

Kyy Games Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    No Game Center compatibility yet.
    Which GC features would you like to the most in Cabals?

2. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010
    As soon as approved, yep.

3. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Achievements and Leaderboards.

4. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Asynchronous Multiplayer is all I could ask for. :)

5. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    qft.

6. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010
    Is this relevant already when playing against random people,
    or does it become relevant when custom matches are introduced?

ie. how often you play async matches against strangers and how well does it work?

Haven't played async games in years, but we've received several wishes for it to be implemented.

7. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009

Random games not so much, because one would expect to play out the entire match, whether it's just to play a quick round when you have the time to sit through an entire match and/or more competitively to move up in Cabals' leaderboards/ranks.

Asynchronous multiplayer opens up (imho) an entire different experience to the game. Because iOS devices are so portable and thanks to GC's large user base...through forums, fansites, tournaments, friends, random matches with more challenging players around the world, etc...it's as simple as sending that person a GC request, and you now can play on the go and at your own pace. I play a lot of 'strangers' often and daily thanks to GC invites and the accessibility asynchronous multiplayer allows (i.e. GC async: Ascension/Carcassonne). I've come to enjoy async games a lot more because I can go about my day, and can tend to my notifications and turns without missing a beat. With async I'm to play several ongoing custom matches concurrently with the same amount of enjoyment to the given game. So to answer your question, yes, this would be more relevant to custom matches. :)

The best example I could give to an iOS game with async done right that you may want to test would be Carcassone. The simplicity of the overall async experience (easy setup, custom avatars, voice chat, ranking system, and notifications) keeps games fresh. I could see myself playing Cabals this way more often opposed to only having the option of playing complete matches.

I'm enjoying the browser version and can't wait to download it as soon as its available.

8. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Have played a few matches on a PC-version and I can't wait to get this on iPad!

What Cabals did you guys start with?

I went with Bearclaw Brotherhood. Seems like a good choice, I like a bit patient play style.

9. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I went for the green one (can't remember name).

After looking in the store, I really want to get a Banshee card. Pay 3 resources and destroy all adjacent cards... yes please.

Really want this to come out on IOS soon..

10. jonnycache

jonnycache Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Loving this, needs to get on the App store asap.

I seem to earning influence as I play, does anyone know how this works?

Also Toughness, does this reduce incoming damage by one?

11. jonnycache

May 14, 2011
    #31 jonnycache, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
    Are we going to be able to sell or trade cards? I already have numerous over 3.

Btw the art in this game is fabulous.

12. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Green one is Danann Covenant, I think. They can use the same cards as my side.

Yeah, Banshee is really cool. Some other very interesting cards there as well. Sidh looks so innocent, for example, but I think it could be a great card.

Gah! Browsing through the card list, I'm starting to think about at least three different decks! :D Bring the iOS version already, I want to buy stuff!

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

We are a little group of 5 gamers with a heavily occupied real life, means: work, family, a lot of stuff to do every day.
    Asynchronous multiplayer games (like Carcassonne, Uniwar and other titles) are giving us the opportunity to play in short breaks because someone is always not available. Without asynchronus mp, we weren't in the situation to play together.
    To make it short: asynchronous mp is a huge attraction to people which can't play for several hours every day but still want to enjoy card and board games. And there's a lot of these people out there. With the option to invite my GC friends and being able to play asynch mp, I would be very glad.

14. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    I agree 100% with this!

Also, get back to work Vovin!!:cool:

15. jonnycache

May 14, 2011
    The single player is good but the AI is terrible at protecting it's stronghold.

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It is more than just relevant, as Vovin says. For ANY multiplayer game that could have it, it might just be one of the most important features that could be implemented.

I, just like Vovin, play almost exclusively async multiplayer games. There are many games that I could not otherwise have enjoyed online at all. I often have several matches running in several different games. I prefer challenging friends, but I often play against strangers, and from a technical viewpoint, it always works great. From most other viewpoints, often just as great.

Personally, I believe asynchronous multiplayer is sort of a paradigm shift in online gaming, made possible only now that we carry around constantly connected but also powerful devices, and turn-based games are the kings and queens of this new multiplayer form. Games such as Carcassonne, Disc Drivin', the Wordfeud with Friends games, Starbase Orion, Poker Pals, Kard Combat, etc, all illustrate just how popular this new way to game with friends is for those of us who have no time or patience to play MMOs and deathmatch shooters online.

Also, async mp is easier than ever to implement with Apple's new a-sync API's. There is often a huge demand for it in new games that could support it, and appreciation (= much greater possibilities to sell IAP and make more money ;) ) if it is eventually implemented. Few or no better way to bestow longevity and lasting appeal upon a game (which, again, leads to far greater chances for future monetization ;) ) than a vibrant, active multiplayer community. And as long as the option for synchronous online play is stilll there, you'll catch 'em all, players of both the realtime and the laid-back, lazy asynchronous kind ;)

(If you do decide to implement it, UniWar and Carcassonne are two good examples of very smooth (in different areas) async multiplayer implementations. For chat interface and notifications, ease of use, and short loading/launching times, Carcassonne holds the crown, and for convenient ways to jump between several async games, in-depth stats, convenient matching and game finding, and some community functions, see UniWar.)

17. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    God, I wish uniwar had push notifications. Please, if you do implement Async, make sure there is push notification support!

18. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I concurr above. I really love games like TTR but I cannot play it online due to lack of async MP. I guess all board games and card games should have this comes in standard. And there is little excuse not to do this as iOS5 has this built-in.

19. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010
    Hehe, the ever so impossible balancing issue ;)

Some previewers had "slight" difficulties to beat the AI.
    We tuned the balance so, that at first AI isn't the smartest of them all.

Now it should be more enjoyable to learn the game...
    But once you progress, the challenge grows.