Universal Cabals: The Card Game (by Kyy Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Agas, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Excellent point. It's often things like this, rather than some technical detail, that really determines whether something is well implemented and enjoyable or not.

Just to offer a different view point - I've been following this discussion on async multiplayer interested, as it has never been a selling point for me. I want my multiplayer to be real time to get a sense of playing a game and continuity between moves. I've tried playing various async games, but I always lose interest in them, because the delay between the moves is too long, and playing two or more games simultaneously makes the whole experience so fragmented.

That being said, I can see the attraction of taking a short break to check your matches and make couple quick moves before more mundane tasks.

2. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    I know it's worth the wait, but come on.

3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Is the game NZ only or is it of limited release on iOS platform? Otherwise, I would ve pleasantly surprised this thread has not been moved yet.

4. Kyy Games

Kyy Games Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    The first weekend with Cabals: The Card Game is over and it was a great success!
    Plenty of players, many more matches played, and a lot of enthusiastic feedback.
    We're excited and want to thank everyone involved for making it happen!

Now there's new guidance available, in form of more detailed how-to-play!

Please remember to like Cabals on Facebook as well

[​IMG]
    PC - Standalone
    Mac - Standalone
    Browser
    Android

5. XaxaxeOrcslayer

XaxaxeOrcslayer Active Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Does this game actually exist? On iOS, I mean; I couldn't possibly care less about the other platforms.

I keep hearing a lot of talk, but not seeing anything.

6. Espekayen

Espekayen Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    It's still in approval with Apple; shouldn't be long now!

Kyy, I hope there will be extensive rules in-app. A pet hate of mine is having to consult an external source to learn how to play a game. Rules should always be in-app; there's no reason why it can't be done.

7. HeMann

HeMann Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Not out in NZ yet, hopefully this week :) comon apple!

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    This time of year.. with everyone rushing their games for xmas.. i hope its out soon...

9. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010
    Yep, there's rules in the game, but its also good to have external source, while the opponent is taking their time ;)

And Yikes!, we got a message from Apple. It definitely shouldn't be long now!

[​IMG]

PC - Standalone
    Mac - Standalone
    Browser
    Android

10. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    Great to hear that... Really can't wait to play it!!

.. Please consider lowering prices for influance points.. I want to support you guys but 10 dollars for few cards is a bit much (at least for Croatian incomes).

And.. I'm looking forward to see what you have for us in future updates!

11. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Man, you just made my day (night, actually)!
    Let's hope it will be ready in the morning.

12. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010
    Whats the meaning of this?!?

Dear Kyy Games Oy,

The following app has been approved. The status has changed to Ready for Sale. ;)

[​IMG]
    F5, F5, F5, F5...

13. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    So, when are you going to put it live on the store?

14. jonnycache

jonnycache Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Quoting myself for context. I've now spent pretty much all weekend and about five bucks on the PC standalone version and I have to hand it to Kyy Games it's a nicely balanced, very polished game that honestly is like crack to someone like me. It has the right proportion of skill, luck and randomness that makes these things so much fun to play; when you win you feel it was because your deck was superior or you played better and when you lose you feel that you were out played rather than you were stiffed on a draw.

What really impresses me is the iOS / Android / MAC / PC implementation that I imagine was a nightmare to test but that should ensure a pretty healthy community once it picks up steam. It obviously has a way to go in a number of areas but the devs seem to be on it and are seem to be listening to their community.

With that said I can understand a little better their pricing as there's clearly been a lot of time invested in this and they have ongoing plans to take it further which obviously requires investment.

However what I initially said still stands, the cost to value ratio of the cards is simply too high. It is especially frustrating being locked into one faction by your initial choice with the only way into the other faction with either a purchase of 600 Influence to buy a starter deck or buying a hero (125 Influence) and building a deck out of singles which even at its cheapest would be 900 Influence.

It is frustrating because I want to give these guys more money, I want to see expansions, more factions, more heroes, more battlegrounds (boards) but I feel they're pricing themselves out of the market.

So no one can accuse me of not offering anything constructive one idea would be give new players the choice of two starter decks, one from each faction. This would at least allow players to use all of the cards they gain though their single player games as well as avoiding the problem of alienating players whose initial faction choice doesn't suit their play style or who might pose a greater challenge especially to a new player to this type of game (Order of Zahir I'm looking at you). It also completely opens up the single card market allowing players to buy and play with any card they choose to buy immediately. Personally I'd also give everyone a hero from each faction to encourage experimentation.

With its current model I think Cabals is making it very hard (expensive) for Timmys and Johnnys (especially Johnnys) to really get what they need out of the game to ensure they get hooked and keep playing (and paying). Spikes I think will probably get more out of less investment especially if they choose their initial faction wisely.

Personally I shall certainly keep playing and hope that the Johnny in me doesn’t get too frustrated. I’ll probably even spend at least another $10 on it as it stands because I really want to try the out Dominion but I can’t imagine I’ll feel good about it. And basically that’s what it comes down to for me, I just want the money I spend to make me feel good rather than a chump.

15. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Needs more cards if you expect people to buy boosters. New set with 50 cards every 3-4 months is probably the sweet spot.

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Somewhere in the world there is an itunes server ejecting plumes of dark smoke as it tries to handle me refreshing the kyy games page on iTunes :/

WANT THIS NOOOOWWWWW:mad:

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Boom!
    Cabals is in the Australian appstore

18. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    The game is now searchable on iTunes, however it says no longer available when I try to download.

19. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Same here not available ...what it is with this app lol!?

20. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I've just downloaded it from the US app store. Link for good measure.

Really looking forward to trying this one out now. :)