Universal Calculords (by Ninja Crime)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Greyskull, Feb 22, 2014.

1. jnt325

jnt325 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    This game is freaking brilliant! I had been debating a purchase of Card Wars despite the obtrusive freemium elements. I just wanted a fun CCG with good humor. Then this gem rolled through and after playing a few rounds I plopped down for everything. So I wound up spending $12 rather than $4, but somehow I feel a whole hell of a lot better about it. Highly recommended!

2. Phantom Bruiser

May 31, 2013
    I like the gameplay, I like Seanbaby, I like the art style, but I HATE math. I take the blame for that--I realize the game is good, my brain is just not wired for numbers.

3. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    This is like the best game ever to teach mental arithmetic. I'll be using it as a shining example in my upcoming master thesis on digital game-based learning.

4. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    This could very well be the perfect game in terms of mechanics; I absolutely love this. My son watched me play last night, asked about it so I showed it to him and he got hooked on it; sharpening his maths skills while he plays and not feeling like he's learning!

It even looks great on an iPhone screen as well as an iPad, despite so much on display.

My only niggle is the button unresponsiveness on the iPad which is quite irritating but minor compared to the brilliance of the game itself.

It's one of those rare games I almost hate playing in case I finish it. Such a gem.

Multiplayer would be insane with this too!

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    The NES graphics and music is what makes Calculords so catchy.

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    It's so consistent of TA that while the staff is glad to feature flappy clones of all manner over and over, an incredible release like Calculords finds no mention. Thankfully there are other iOS gaming sites which cater to more than the lowest common denominator.

7. cretpetpet

cretpetpet Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Ostia
    i m hooked :) been playing nonstop for some hours now. Great game.
    the part where i can eliminate redundant number with subtract from zero and multiply by 1 is so fun :)
    A highly productive game, wish you can add some more rpg into it. It could be strengthen card up with sacrifice the identical one or something like that.

8. SpacePenguinBot

Nov 15, 2013
    Krak

For anyone having trouble with Krak, he’s actually quite easy. He only sends suicide bombers down the center lane, and you only need to hit them once to blow up the whole row (including your units). So you want to deploy all of your units (especially the powerful ones) on the top or bottom row. Ignore the center lane until they are getting close to your base, then deploy one (or two) of your cheapest units to trigger the explosive chain reaction. He will continue wasting his resources on the suicide bombers, allowing you to eventually overpower him on the top/bottom.

9. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This game makes my brain hurt. I love it!

10. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    This game is so so so good. Whyy are all these good games coming out when i dont have much time to play them ha. After playing my first round i checked out IAP's and have to say that $2 club purchase was one of the easiest decisions ever for me. Love their IAP model, think it is fair to free users and awesome to people who want to spend the $2. Anyone know the different levels of rarity? Got a superrare neutron sniper and am wondering how rare it is. One thing the game is definitely missing IMO is online multiplayer, if that was added later the game would surely never leave my device. I feel pretty good about my skills with the calculator, but have no idea what to do deck setup wise so am keepin it simple for now. There is so much to think about with that especially with the calculator numbers

11. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    It appears that when you get enough cards, you can "minmax" your deck and your numbers so that certain calculations can be made more frequently. Personally, I'm not that good at efficient CCG deck building OR math, so we'll see how that goes, lol.

12. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #92 ScotDamn, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    Calculords Tips

Here's a strategy guide from the man/designer himself, Seanbaby.

13. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Continued Tips

Continued-

14. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I managed to get through to the 4th boss without buying any IAP, but damn, matches begin to take forever. My match versus the 4th boss was over 40 minutes and didn't look like it was near an end when I had to shut it off. The potential of stalemate situations seems to get higher the further you progress, mainly because of creatures that nullify 2-3 damage from every attack, but do little damage themselves. It becomes a grind simply pushing a few spaces forward on a single lane.

15. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #95 Mack the Knife, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    fine, but you can use a calculator right? play around with calculator on the right trying different combos to get your number. if you run into a dead end, use C and try something else. pretty soon, unless you're a sea slug, the math will become second nature, give it a chance.

a tip that most probably already know but use up that "1" if need be by multiplying it by the number you want to use.

16. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Equally as useful at times is creating a 0 and then multiplying it by numbers you want to get rid on and then adding it to those you don't.

17. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    i just read this and came back to post it!!! knowing this about 0 almost makes it too easy :eek: to get the bonus!

18. armilla

armilla Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    This game is really dope – the IAP model is exemplary, and after playing for 15 minutes I was compelled to plunk down some cash. I hope it does well and is updated often!

19. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Couple of questions:
    -Is there any reward for completing the various challenges for each boss? Cards, xp etc?
    -How do the number decks function? Draw until running out of cards then shuffling, shuffle on calculord bonus, no shuffling but simply each draw has its own probability, etc.
    -What exactly does "push" do? For instance the cosmo cat tank has an extra +1 push, little confused as to what that means. Obviously it isnt the same as 2x speed

Also i think there is a bug in the deck editor. Under stats the numbers for offense cards and push cards should be switched

20. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Anyone seen some -1 values appearing in the calculator? I had two of them, mutliplied them together to get '1' and then hit clear and they changed to a 2 and a 3. Minor glitch ;-)

Game just gets more and more addictive. Nearly missed my train today because of it!