Can admob give false data?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by willzeng, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Dragon Game Studio

Dragon Game Studio Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Game Developer
    Bali, Indonesia
    There you go! How could you not have added screenshots like this in the first place.... now it looks interesting and got me curious :) The old screenshots.... not so much.

2. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Well im glad you have finally seen the light, and you game actually looks interesting now, i hope it all works aout better once you have them approved.

Although is the star in the back ground not and image of "The Star of David" surrounded by hebrew text?

Carnt really tell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Those screenshots look great, especially the last two. Great job!

4. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Those new screenshots are much better imo.

Judasim doesn't have a patent on six sided stars, and that's not Hebrew.

5. The Star of David is only to give a strong hint that you are casting a magic. No special meaning really.

6. Startup Culture

Feb 27, 2013
    Hey Will,

I'll try to answer your original question as well as provide you with some help from a marketing perspective since that's my primary role over developer. The answer to your first question is yes all ad systems can be gamed but the percentage of people who are probably gaming your particular campaign is less than 5%. So fraud is not really your issue. As everyone has stated previously in this thread, the problem is your presence in the app store. From using a temple run themed icon to the screenshots, it's a bit of a mess.

Let's take these point by point - Icon
    From the consumers standpoint, the icon adds to the overall confusion about what your app is about. Consumers looking at that icon are going to expect something in the same genre as Temple run, which obviously your app is not. I'd look at creating an icon that had something to do with gems and flowers. Maybe something similar in tone to bejeweled.

Next: Screenshots
    I see you have redone the screenshots and they are much better but you need to go further. The screenshots don't really tell you much about the game. You should use the screenshots to tell a visual story to entice the user to buy. If your game is kind of abstract, overlay words on top of the visuals of your screenshot to sell the key elements of the game.

Finally Description Text
    Your current description text is too verbose. Use bullet points to hit the key elements. If you have reviews from top sites, place those at the top. If you don't have those types of reviews, use customer reviews. The customer is not going to want to read all the information you have there they just want the bullet points. 1. What is the game about? 2. Do other people think this game is good? 3. Can I trust this is a quality game worth my .99 cents. Right now you don't have any of those elements so I could send 60k people and you'd probably have a similar result. As much time as you have spent building the game I'd spend at least half that thinking about how to properly market it. just my 2 or maybe 3 cents :)

7. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Agreed.

1 short paragraph of flavor text explaining the game. Make it action-y and punchy. We're actually experimenting with only one sentence.
    Something like: "Cast spells you learned from your crazy master to save the world from falling gems. Match more than 3 gems to level your magic faster! How long can you keep the world from teetering into destruction?"

2-3 reviews help, but if you don't have any good ones don't worry.

That whole wall of text could be shortened to 4 or 5 super brief bullet points.

8. CosmoMan

CosmoMan Active Member

Nov 25, 2008
    We just did a test run on AdMob, and the results were pathetic. According to Admob we had over 3% click through rate, with 16,000 click through's. However, as far as I can tell that translated into almost 0 actual downloads of the app. Our rankings haven't changed it all, and even if just 1% of that 16,000 followed through then there would've been a significant change in ranking.

9. Yikes..

So anyone have a positive experience with an ad network as an advertiser? I just keep reading horror stories..

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Seems like the world is getting smarter. The more people buy smartphones, the more they become aware that ads usually aren't anything they're interested in.

11. Well if I look at how my kids and gf discover their apps (beside those I push their way) it's 100% through ads and featured games on the app store... it's a matter of finding a network that provides reliable data and doesn't play games with the advertisers money.