Universal Canabalt (by Semi Secret Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by costanza, Oct 2, 2009.

1. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I want to cause it too.
    That's why again and again:
    THIS GAME IS AWESOME! :)

2. sa66o6

sa66o6 Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Well,this game is really simple,and it can be fun for a very little while.For 2.99,it' not worth it!

3. SpungoMcGee

SpungoMcGee Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Seems the market agrees.

[​IMG]

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Clearly charting on the top 100 games, apps, and total grossing is the very definition of failure.

5. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I'm with you on both points.

I really like the game as is, and realize that part of its appeal is the simplicity of gameplay and that it was developed in a number of days. However, it seems to have so much potential for new content/character actions. Looking forward to seeing if the developers add something to the game...

6. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    For reals, making more money than 95% of iPhone games released is pretty embarrassing.

7. SpungoMcGee

Jul 17, 2009
    For nearly a week.

8. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    if the complaints bumping the thread lead to more sales, the complainers will potentially be satisfied and purchase the title sooner. quite a few people seem to agree that the game is fantastic, but just isn't worth the current price. however, good sales could push the developer to push out more content sooner, especially so it can ride the top 100 wave even longer. and more content would definitely help justify the purchase.

apparently the title was developed in five days or two weeks(i've read both), i think he would be capable of pushing out an update rather quickly. apple's approval process on the other hand is a separate issue altogether.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

How much money to you think is generated from a top grossing app selling at $3 for a week? Surely they've made their initial time investment back many times over, since it's been cited several times throughout this thread that the development of the game was fairly quick thanks to the magic of Flixel.

I know you're very angry this game isn't 99¢, but you also have an extremely strange definition of failure if you think making what conservatively amounts to tens of thousands of dollars over the course of a week is a bad thing.

10. monkeys37

monkeys37 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Stinginess isn't a virtue.

11. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    This quoted development time was the time it took to port his Flixel framework to the iPhone from what I understand. I'm sure the actual game took much longer to write.

I'm sure Canabalt has already grossed more than almost any single NimbleBit game, so I'm not going to question his pricing strategy!

12. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    Man, it's not gonna fail just because you want it to. There are plenty of other people who don't agree with the price, and they're not posting irrelevant charts in hopes of being right all along. Until you start developing games for the iPhone, you might want to re-think your ideas on App Store success.

The game is $2.99

[​IMG]

13. Rolento

Rolento Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    initially didnt want to get for this price, but it's worht every penny, even with the fre version online. def worth it x1000

14. SpungoMcGee

Jul 17, 2009
    I don't want it to fail. I think it's a brilliant game. But it's kinda hilarious to call a chart of how well a game is selling "irrelevant" in the context of whether it's being a success or not.

15. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    The game is about to take off. It's featured in the App Store What's New on the iPhone. (already in the top 100 grossing.)

arn

16. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    Changing the topic from the price - I've played the Flash version and the fast sideways scrolling gave me serious eye ache after just a couple of minutes play. Is the framerate better on the iPhone version? Is it easier on the eyes?

17. Ravenlock

Ravenlock Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I haven't had any eyestrain issues with the iPhone version, but then I don't remember having any with the flash version either so I may not be the best person to answer. The framerate is extremely smooth, however, on my iPhone.

As for sales, the game had an extremely strong opening and made the guy a boatload of money out of the gate. That's excellent, and strongly suggests that the price was exactly right to start with - clearly a bunch of people were perfectly willing to pay $3 for this at launch.

If sales drop off to the point where all the people willing to pay $3 have already purchased it, that just means it's time for a price drop and another wave of sales, which he'll almost certainly get the minute he decides to lower the price. People are still talking about the game, Apple's featuring it, etc. The price can change whenever he wants it to, that's kind of the whole point, no?

18. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    I'm buying this game. I liked "Jump on the building" which were similar to this - but this looks much more polished :D

"One button" gaming ftw :D

Great work!

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    As if game developers have any more of an idea than he does :rolleyes:

20. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I myself was a bit hesitant at first, but I'm glad I bought it. Having a mobile version of Canabalt is very nice. It lets you play it for as long or short as you want, wherever, whenever.