Universal Canabalt (by Semi Secret Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by costanza, Oct 2, 2009.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I thought it was your skill level that determined how long you play ;)

2. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Obviously, I am just so good that I can play for an infinite amount of time, whenever I so choose. The game actually crashes when my high-score reaches infinity.

...no, not really. My record is 5777 m, but my friend, whom I've gotten addicted to Canabalt, is at 7040 m, so I have to at least beat that. :p

3. Khayman

Khayman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    #543 Khayman, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
    I get to 8787 right now.
    I must say it is a little bit easyer to play on iphone then on the web.
    The trick for me is to keep down the speed by running into the boxes when it goes to fast.
    And the rockets are easy to avoid now when i know that there is a little pop that comes on the building before the bomb arrives.

4. Axl Lowe

Apr 8, 2009
    #544 Axl Lowe, Oct 13, 2009
    I do the very same things as well.

When I hear a rocket coming, I try to make short jumps so I'll be able to jump early on after landing on the same building as the rocket will appear on.

EDIT: I managed to reach 11.036m. :D

5. thegamerocks06

thegamerocks06 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    Yeah that's pretty much the technique to be followed :)

Why don't you sumbit the score to the TA highscore thread? :D
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=28870

6. Axl Lowe

Apr 8, 2009
  7. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    I've had some eyestrain issues with this game. But not too bad, usually just when I'm tired and have been staring at monitors too long. The fast scrolling of the buildings can give you a headache if you start darting your eyes back and forth. I tend to just keep my eyes focused on the little character. Doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all.

And still can't believe people are bitching about the $3 price. Just because it's a simple game doesn't mean it's not worth $3. What matters is if the game is well designed and fun, and this game most certainly is - more than most games I've bought at higher price points that had 'more content'.

Not to mention, $3 is less than half of what most people spend on lunch every day.

8. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    actually, canabalt is the sort of game that involves a lot of luck in the randomization which sort of hurts the idea of the online scoreboard. a "highly skilled" canabalt player could potentially get garbage after garbage, whereas a newcomer could go a solid minute without hitting a window. the high score board for canabalt won't come down to who's the best at the game...it'll come down to whoever feels like replaying the game over and over again until the randomization gets sweeter and sweeter. of course, nothing beats that feeling of the perfect run...but it just isn't the same as pitting everybody's abilities on the exact same map and comparing scores that way. perhaps some of the future levels might be more epic in scope, but static in design. but who the hell knows when the new content will finally rear its head, and what it'll be. probably just the online scoreboards that mean nothing to me. =\

9. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    holy crap, i just played this for a few mins while on a meeting, looking really close to the screen and when I looked away, everything was morphing to the side like I was on shrooms or something.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Randomization is present in pretty much all games that have an online leader board though, did the person who scored a million points in Doodle Jump just keep playing until all of the platforms were randomized to the point where he could just set his iPhone down for an hour while his guy jumps up a perfect straight line of platforms, or was there actual skill involved?

Where did you see Semi Secret posting about new levels?

11. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Optical illusion

This is actually a well-documented optical illusion. Because you look at something continuously scrolling left, your vision adjusts to it, and when you look away your brain continues to think that you are looking at something scrolling left and doesn't adjust your vision for normal sight until a little bit later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7CxHCasts

12. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    he didn't post about new levels which honestly concerns me.

i've never played doodle jump, but i'm also fully aware that there are many games with scoreboards that evaluate skill over randomization. you can't play canabalt for as long as a lot of us have and not realize just how important the randomization can be in going the distance, or being screwed with some really cheap placements.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You bought Canabalt under the assumption that there's going to be some massive content update which the developer has never said one word about? :confused:

14. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    It is pretty audacious of the developer to take a week long vacation after finishing a game instead of pumping out more content for free.

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, what was that about? I paid my $3 and now I have a share in how he goes about his daily life. He definitely did not clear this whole "vacation" thing by me.

So I have a moral right to demand a refund PLUS $5,000 in psychological damages, right? :rolleyes:

16. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    no, i finally bought it because i figured that the developer did deserve the support. i never said that i was under the assumption there was some "massive content update" in the pipeline that he has yet to mention(though he has previously stated he would work on additional content to the game). in my previous post i even say "who the hell knows when the new content will finally rear its head, and what it'll be." i would, however, enjoy more content, and i feel like i'm not alone in this. i mean, the game has sold well, i don't think it's too far fetched to post about future content. as fellow fans of the game we should both have a natural want for more!

just because the developer hasn't made a public statement about something doesn't mean we can't hope, or voice what we want. i thought that's a part of what these threads are about. perhaps i'm the confused one.

17. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    #557 nodoctors, Oct 13, 2009
    who is this sarcastic post even aimed at? did anybody here complain that the dev took a vacation? did anybody say he had to start working on new content NOW and should slave away for just us and ignore his personal life? this is just getting petty. he originally made the game for free, is it crazy that he'll reward his fans that have made him thousands of dollars richer with some new content in the future *gasp* for free? even though technically he already made three dollars off of us so i guess it isn't entirely free. oh and there's that sort of app standard where most do receive free updates, whether they're major or minor. quitit is an excellent example of a 2.99 app that doubled its size for its fans for free. don't get your panties in a bunch though, i'm not strongarming the dev and crying that he has to do what we want when we want. :rolleyes:

he can do whatever the hell he wants. happy?

christ, i feel like i'm being punished for being a fan and wanting more lol

18. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    Touché

19. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    It was aimed at you. And I never miss. :cool:

20. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    #560 nodoctors, Oct 13, 2009
    but it doesn't even apply to me considering i never expected the dev to immediately work on content just because i said so, nor did i ever complain about him taking a vacation he's obviously entitled to. sounds like a miss to me. and completely unnecessary while we're at it...