Capturing sample videos

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MHille, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Nice looking game :)

Like a modern day duck hunt!

2. givenstage

givenstage Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Game Artist
    Singapore
  3. betelnutgames

betelnutgames Member

Dec 4, 2011
  4. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Simulator and iShowYouHD

We use the simulator to run the app, then screen capture using iShowUHD. Works pretty good. We then take the video into Flash or After Effects and add the fingers and thumbs manually to make it look realistic. Check out some of our promo videos at www.appinthebox.com.au to see how they come out, the Drop the Chicken promo is probably the best example. The recent update to iShowU added a ripple effect when you mouse click which we can't get rid of so if you don't want this don't update to the recent version.

I had a really good look around when we started making games and this was the best solution that gives you the best frame rate. The simulator isn't ideal though, someone really needs to build an app for this.

There is an app you can use if you jailbreak your phone but the frame rate captured is terrible, don't waist your time with it.

:cool:

5. TC Games

TC Games Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    iOS developer
    I used iShowU and iSimulate. I had to speed the videos up a little bit, because I had a small amount of lag with iSimulate.

6. M@realobjects

M@realobjects Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Germany
    Can anybody confirm that the Blackmagic Intensity Extreme works to capture iPhone 4S HDMI output? That would certainly be my preferred solution, but I really wouldn't want to shell out 300$ and then not be able to use HDMI because of HDCP.

7. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    While I know this is an old thread, let me recommend the Elgato unit - http://toucharcade.com/2012/06/19/wwdc-elgatos-game-capture-hd-is-blowing-my-mind-right-now/

It's working with me just great with all my numerous iDevices and only refuses recording iTunes Store movies / videos, nothing else.