CAR JACK STREETS 2 - Official Development Thread - [by TAGPLAY, Scotland]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SimonTag, Sep 9, 2011.

1. itouchbd

itouchbd Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    is this game only for the iphone 4 or itouch 4? because i've got a 2nd gen itouch. will i be able to play the game because limiting players just sucks especially when the focus isn't entirely graphics, though i really do like your style

2. Paul@Tag

Paul@Tag Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Scotland, UK
    Are you guys seriously saying that if the game is free you won't download it?!!?!?

Wouldn't you rather pay for the entertainment value of a game you like as you go along?

Because we are building CJS 2 closer to a GTA MMO than a linear "one time play" traditional GTA game like G*ngst*r or CTW there is going to be no end point to the game. This makes it very hard for us to set a single up front price for it! Should it be $1, $10, $100 or $1000?

Can you see our problem?

Perhaps you'd prefer a subscription approach than freemium?

Would love to know what you think!

Cheers
    P

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I think some people got frightened that you somehow caved to the rampant cheap crowd that want everything for nothing.

If you guys are planning a bunch of continual updates, freemium is probably the way to go over regular paid. I myself might do both models out of trepidation just in case, but that's just me.

4. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    I, myself, would like $2.99 best, one time fee.

5. mellamohoracio

mellamohoracio Active Member

Nov 5, 2010
    if a game is freemium, i will refuse to play it.

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    i love free games!

7. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #47 VirtualBoyFreak, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
    Of course I'd download the game if it's free, and I don't mind paying as I progress in the game as long as the prices are fair. If the game is "da bomb uber-amazing 10/10" then I'd be willing to pay some money for it, but not the $100 that some freemium titles have for cash. I'd also expect payments as one-time payments, so that if I uninstall and reinstall I can recover my purchases without problem.

Leaving prices aside, what I really DO expect is that you don't do the same as in Astro Ranch & Astro Ranch Pro: screw everything up by experimenting with IAP & full payments, and finally letting down all the game buyers (both IAP buyers & Pro buyers as myself). I paid $10 for Astro Ranch Pro just to find it was buggy in the latest iOS version at the time. I can give you a second opportunity with CJS2, but you really need to polish the support of your products and DON'T repeat what happened with Astro Ranch, and please, whatever method you decide to apply for prices, go for it, don't do a segmentation as in AR, or you'll find yourselves with a similar disaster.

8. Paul@Tag

Paul@Tag Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Scotland, UK
    Don't worry VirtualBoyFreak Astro Ranch was a total screw up and we admit it. We've been grovelling to our players for the past year and believe me we want to put it right! We wont be experimenting anymore and messing up the connected aspect.

When we did Astro Ranch Tag was about 7 or 8 people, now we are four times the size and growing! We have bought all the connected infrastructure in-house and have dedicated server engineers, our own engine tech, full time QA, marketing, customer support and of course the game teams all here in the same building.

We're launching our first freemium game Funpark Friends 1st October. You might not like the game style or freemium but we are doing it right and payments will be fair for what you get back. It will help us define the best payment model for CJS 2.

It's worth remembering we aren't EA or G*m*lo*t though. We don't have thousands of staff and hundreds of games - each one needs to make money or we have to sell our Ferrari's and Porsche's. That would be a disaster :D

Anyway good debate - thanks for the input

P

9. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Ever since the fall of communism everyone, including hobo's, own a ferrari. :rolleyes:

I am just used to freemium modeled games not entertaining me for that long. I like CJS for the type of game it was, a single player GTA like game. I was hoping that CJS2 would improve upon the faults that the original had. Meaning it would keep the one-time-pay model.

Theres no doubt in my mind that I won't pick this up. I guarantee ill download it, but I think the entertainment value, at least for me, won't be as high.

10. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Great to read this Paul! I have high expectations for CJS2. Count me in as a potential buyer when you release it, so that you don't need to sell your Ferraris & Porsche :D

11. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Wait, you for sure won't pick it up, but you guarantee you will download it???

Looks like someone is stupefied by the awesome-factor of CJS2

12. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    Wow - this looks good, and free too.

In terms of cost, I would be happy with the subscription route of the game is good. I.e. Order and Chaos - 0.99$/69p per month subscription. In terms of buying "cash" voluntary but not essential I.e. You can make the money yourself easily but it just takes a while.

13. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    While TA can be a useful resource, it's not necessarily the best place to ask for business advice, especially when it comes to IAP-related issues. Asking people here about that is like asking a militant vegetarian for menu advice: they're going to be massively biased to begin with, and demand you leave out food items that have proven to be profitable for other restaurants in order to satisfy their own agenda.

We've seen the statistics: IAP can definitely work as a money-making device, and I certainly wouldn't go selling your games for a one-off $1 or $2 simply because of claims made here. After all, feedback from TA is part of the reason the otherwise interesting Paper Cars became titled Cars and Guns 3D, an awful and fantastically uninspiring name that sounds like it belongs to a shareware PC game from the 90s. :p

14. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Correct LOLOL.

I meant that I will be downloading it for sure. But the entertainment value is what I feel will be diminished due to the fermium payment model.

So basically Im bitching when I shouldn't be. ya know what a lot of people do. hehe

Ill take out any frustrations in the Warm Gun Beta...I have a feeling thats gonna be a decent stress reliever.

15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Wait WHAT?

16. SimonTag

SimonTag Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Product Evangelist
    Dundee, Scotland
    One of the most exciting aspects about CJS2 is that we are building an infrastructure for the game which will allow us to continually evolve the world environment.

Great discussion guys. Here is my $0.02 on freemium. Whilst it isn't fantastic (and trust me, I understand some of your complaints) it is the way the games industry as a whole is going - just look at Steam and their recent freemium focus. We as developers and fans of gaming, for right or for wrong, just have to accept that.

As you will see from our Funpark Friends title (a freemium theme park building social sim launching on the 1st of October :D) we are committed to making extremely high quality titles and to listening to you the players. We really do want to know what YOU want to see in our games so that we can make games that you will love to play. Unfortunately, regarding freemium, our hands are tied. As Paul has noted, we are not EA/Gameloft and we do not yet have the resources to make mistakes with our games - our employees have families to feed - so we need to take the safest route, and that is freemium.

Anyway, back to Car Jack Streets 2! Seriously, a big THANKYOU to everyone for getting involved on this thread :). We are loving your input! Horzey, you are in a meeting at the moment, so I cant just ask you, this what I personally want to know:

CAN I GET A KILT AND A MACHINE GUN SET OF BAGPIPES FOR MY CHARACTER? If not,... make it so.

[​IMG]

17. HorzeyTAG

HorzeyTAG Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Bagpipes and Machine Guns!!!
    http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/wong/bagpipebanner.jpg

18. dexx0008

dexx0008 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    #58 dexx0008, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
    my suggestions, i liked CJS and played it quite a bit

--i would love to see as others have mentioned character customizations. m/f, differnt clothes.
    --1 or multiple houses you can stash stuff in to save it. Also think that there should be some random chance that it could be 'raided' at some point to promote stashing in multiple locations.
    --day night cycle but with the option to set the time of the cycle. Say preferences for 3 6 or 9hours = day. Whatever the user prefers. I dislike gangstars day/night cycle. way too short for my liking with no option to change it.

side missions/achievements are always great when you don't feel like doing the main story as well as hidden areas to find/explore.

I'm not really a fan of freemium models and would rather pay x much for a game and if there were significant updates such as a new map/city I would consider in app purchase for those. I do play freemium models but hate the nickel and dime approach. Just let me support the developer up front. I'm really hoping freemium is just a fad. I know it makes money for developers but i also think it cheapens the app store experience cluttering it up with lots of lousy freemium games.

love the art style btw, best of luck.

19. ADR GANG

ADR GANG Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    I completely agree. I'd rather pay $x for a complete gaming experience rather than use the nickel and diming approach throught IAP.

20. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I agree with this too, but let's face it: developers make games for a profit, and if IAP make them more profit that direct $$ purchase, then they'll always choose the system that leaves them the most profit.

Getting back to CJS2, I'd like it to be a "live game", i.e.: with new missions every now and then and so on. I fully agree with one of the comments which suggests the possibility of choosing the length of the days, along with random raids in your safehouses. Also, if you are there, you should be able to fight back and, if you win the police, take everything in a given time (maybe a minigame to do this?). I also like the map expansion you talked about somewhere. Maybe you could access new zones ("states"?) by travelling through a road and avoiding police cars as you go by... I don't know, just some more ideas for the devs :D