CAR JACK STREETS 2 - Official Development Thread - [by TAGPLAY, Scotland]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SimonTag, Sep 9, 2011.

1. SimonTag

SimonTag Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Product Evangelist
    Dundee, Scotland

I will certainly forward this thought on to the game designers!

2. spockgold007

spockgold007 Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2011
    death star
    good idea, they should

3. SimonTag

Jul 20, 2011
    Product Evangelist
    Dundee, Scotland
    Hey there Touch Arcadians!

MORE EXCLUSIVES

Car Jack Streets 2 will support day and night.
    [​IMG]

Alongside city and desert areas, there will also be rural areas! Getting an idea of how big this will be yet ;)?
    [​IMG]

Alongside the desert sherrifs there will also be city police and military characters to stop your.... gangs? Wait, did I say 'your' gangs? Lets not get caught up in the details, right :D?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let us know what you think. Do you like the daytime/nighttime dynamic? How would you like this to work? Real time? Or on a game defined loop?

How would you want gangs to work? Would you like to make a gang with your friends? How would you like to customise your gangs? Make your own gang name + logo etc? Who'd control your gang and how would they assert their authority? (Remember, this is going to be a sociable game!)

Don't be afraid to ask Horzey, the CJS2 game-designer, questions by the way, he'll be happy to answer any that won't give too much of the game away! But limit your self to questions which haven't already been asked :).

On a personal note, can't tell you guys how awesome it is to be asking these questions! Car Jack Streets 2 is going to ROCK!

4. cjsbug

cjsbug Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Looking forward to this release. The original is one of the few games I have actually finished.

The day/night support looks great, but please don't make it real time. Otherwise I'll always be playing in the dark. :cool:

5. avram

avram New Member

The day-to-night progression looks great but, like cjsbug said, I do hope it's not real-time.

What will be destructible in the game? Will buildings be able to show damage?

Thanks! Really looking forward to this game!

6. avram

avram New Member

One more question - what's influencing the artistic direction? The look you're developing reminds me of the old WPA posters from the early 20th Century.

7. HorzeyTAG

HorzeyTAG Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Art Influences...

Hey avram, There’s been a few different influences for the art style for Car Jack 2. A big influence came from the 50’s/60’s retro stylized art similar to what Pixar drew on for the Incredibles movie mixed with 1960s Saul Bass movie titles. We figured we had to make Car Jack 2 look distinct and instantly recognizable. I feel our artists have done a fantastic job and you should see some of the other locations and characters they've created. :)
    Regarding destructible environments, I’m afraid we’re not using the Frostbite engine (Battlefield) :D however you’ll just have to wait and see what we do with the environments.

8. dexx0008

dexx0008 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    i mentioned earlier it would be nice to alter the day/night cycle as a setting to choose how long/short you prefer.

This game keeps sounding better all the time.

9. ADR GANG

ADR GANG Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    This game is starting to look more and more awesome. Keep up the great work.

10. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    +1 to this idea.

11. chrono7

chrono7 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Apple ecosystem
    This is one game I will put in my must-get wishlist....Simply too awesome

12. Eraser74

Eraser74 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Hamburg
    The first one was pretty bad. VERY laggy and the gameplay wasn´t really there.

Hope this one turns out much better!

I am VERY cautious, because it´s TAG and I haven´t forgotten the Astro Ranch ripoff.

13. Nicoipad

Nicoipad Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    So in no way do I expect this but is it the same size/bigger/a tiny bit smaller than San Andreas? The reason I ask this is because you have shown deserts, cities and forests and talked about how diverse and big the map is.

14. rlaghdejr

rlaghdejr Member

Sep 24, 2011
  15. SimonTag

Jul 20, 2011
    Product Evangelist
    Dundee, Scotland

Whilst I can't say anything that would reveal the size of the map, I can say that we are building the map in a modular format that will allow us to pick and choose land modules, update the map at will, and expand the map at will.

With regards to blowing up buildings and the like,... yeah, we have to remember the limitations of the current mobile platform. HOWEVER, as we are building the world in a modular format, we will be able to continually update in retrospect parts of the map that you have interacted with. Did your last mission involve planting bombs in an opponents drug factory? Well you expect that building to be gone for good.

16. SimonTag

Jul 20, 2011
    Product Evangelist
    Dundee, Scotland
    Unless of course your gang enemies decide to re-build their plant and retaliate!

17. able_to_think

able_to_think Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Public speaking
    Cincinnati OH
    I'd like to see an in game buddies kind of thing like in GTA IV where you can call up your friends and go drinking or date your girlfriends. Also put cheat codes in because I love messing with the world.

18. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Remember this was one of the first iOS releases. Were going back to the terminator days when drvs were still experimenting with hardware. I guarantee u tag got all the kinks worked out

19. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    That is one of the many reasons GTA IV was so boring and forgettable in my opinion.

20. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Agreed, I don't want to spend 1/2 hour pampering a virtual character. Character interaction is one thing but that was ridiculous.