Universal Carcassonne - 2011 TouchArcade GOTY Runner Up! [Expansion Packs Out]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Jun 4, 2010.

1. rein

rein Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    What did you email them about?

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Yeah buying this got me interested in the actual board game too. I ended up buying the Big Box 2 which included a number of expansions. Unfortunately I don't know too many people who would be interested in playing so it is a bit of a task trying to find friends and family members I can teach the game to so we can play. :(

There is also more work involved, for instance in the iPhone/iPod game it shows you all the spots where you can make a move while playing the board game you would have to search the board for all the playable locations then make your move. You also have to keep track of points which isn't a huge deal but at the end of the game is definitely more work especially since farmers score for each city they can walk to so you really need to be careful when calculating the score.

3. Chops420

Chops420 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    #363 Chops420, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
    Sadly this happens all the time for me.

Just now I was playing a quick match over wifi and at 60 tiles left the clock on their turn ran out. Not wanting to take yet another loss I just left my iPhone on to see if it would give me the win. I came back 15 min later to find the game still showing 0 sec on the clock. At this point I just quit the app which probably cost me a win.

I have not been able to finish 1 wifi game in the last 6. There is no way the devs fixed the problems.

If you are buying the game expecting multiplayer action you should skip this one for the time being.

TL;DR - multiplayer still broken... Skip this game if your were hoping to play online.

4. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    WHAT!!! Your crazy even if the multiplayer is all screwy I rather buy it now at 5 then later for 10 great game even if your not on multiplayer wifi

5. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I don't know then, maybe contact the devs. to bring your issues to their attention. I personally haven't had any problems. Maybe until you find out the issue or until it gets fixed for you play games with friends by adding members of the Touch Arcade forum.

6. I don't have any issue either playing Quick Play. They've increased time from 60 secs to 90 secs. I do notice sometimes people drop for like 5 or 10 secs I figure it is their wifi but that is only like in 1 outta 5 games and once per game so seldom happens. They come back after 10 secs and make their move. Definitely report your bug though.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I played my first Internet game the other night and it went without a hitch. However, is it possible to play an online game with more then just one opponent?

Also, does this game support play like in Wrds With Friends? Meaning you can leave the game, then come back to it later, and with notifications for when it's your turn, as well as playing more then one game at once? I was afraid to quit out of the game as I didn't want to stop the game completely. There was no obvious list of active games like in WWF.

8. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    The game has up to 5 players. I haven't played a large online game yet but I'm guessing it is just part of setting up the online game by inviting multiple friends to a game.

If you are playing with friends then yes it supports push notifications. I played a game with a friend that took almost a week to finish. ;) If the other player made a move it will pop up and tell you that it is your turn that way you can take your time when playing online games. Random games on the other hand are timed and you must finish them in one sitting.

9. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I joined the Carcassonne group here at TA. ;)

10. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    About time:p

11. Chops420

Chops420 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Multiplayer sucks.

Are there any devs for this game on the forum here?

I can't seem to finish any quick play games - it's riddled with weird bugs that kill any online play. Here's a quick list of the bugs I've run into:

- clock counts down to 0 on their turn and nothing happens (game seems to hang but you end up with a loss hours later)

- clock counts down to 0 on their turn and you lose (due to YOUR time running out)

- placing a tile hangs the game, your clock counts down and you lose

- placing a tile crashes to main screen.

- clicking the chat icon can hang the game causing your time to run out, you lose.

Those are the bugs I run into all the time in quick match. Single and local modes work fine so I'm not that pissed about the online play but it really is frustrating. If the devs are listening ... please fix either your server or the app because there is no online play possible in the current build. Yes you might get lucky and finish a game but more often than not you're going to end up with a loss due to bugs.

12. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    well seeing as no one else has mentioned these problems i suspect you will have more sucess if you write directly to the developers

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Any chance we'll get the fancy graphics, sound and animation that's in the Xbox 360 version? I love how the castles, when completed, turn 3D, fireworks go off, etc. I'm sure the iPhone is capable of that kind of thing. Still a great game, but it would be even better with such niceties.

14. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    lol well only if they also give you an option to turn them off

15. globbits

globbits Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    I'd much prefer they spent their time giving us the river expansion instead of doing any silly 3d effects.

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm pretty sure it is a different team doing this and have to agree, I would far prefer more content than them finding ways to make the current content more 3D and animated.

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm not suggesting that they should abandon making the river expansion, etc, obviously. I'm just saying that it would all be even better with those nifty effects, or something like them, at least for me. Like having the background music in Peggle. For some that didn't matter, but for me it was an essential part of the experience and thus was sorely missed (which PopCap *finally* addressed, and more, recently, so I'm very happy with Peggle now, and look forward to a Nights expansion... with background music intact.)

18. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    For me, I actually really like the fact that there are no 3D effects: as the game is, it does a pretty good job of replicating the feel of the original board game. I just want some expansion packs now, especially the river as I am so used to playing with it!

19. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Another vote for River Expansion first then optional 3d animation

20. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    #380 Drucifer, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
    Alright so I had two more quick games on the weekend and must admit I expereienced one of these issues which really pissed me off. First quick game the other players time counted down to 0. Not long after it said I lost the game because I failed to make my move even though it was their turn and they failed to make their move. I know for a fact it was their turn and I never lost my WiFi connection. This resulted in me losing points off my quick play ELO. :mad:

Even though I was mad that I lost points I started another game right after. The second player was very friendly and chatted back and forth throughout the game. I was victorious and it was a fun game with no issues.

I highly agree with this. I never played the board game until after I played the iPod/iPhone version and now that I played the actual board game it gives players a more realistic feeling of the actual board game. It would be much nicer to see them working on expansions once they finish the iPad version than pretty graphics. Also I'm sure those nice graphics will drain the battery faster as well as possibly taking additional time to load. I love the game the way it is now where you can start it up and be at the menu in seconds. :D