Universal Carcassonne - 2011 TouchArcade GOTY Runner Up! [Expansion Packs Out]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Egoyan

Egoyan Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Beijing/Montréal
    Of course I don't; I'm a beginner too.

Well, actually, I've played quite a few games so far, but mostly against the AI. I just have two or three online games under my belt.

Looking forward to playing with you. :)

2. Mistrya

Mistrya Member

Jun 7, 2010
    This Clock is lovely thing in 1.2 update (enabled in general preferences), but what I found most welcome (besides graphic glitches fix, but maybe even more) is showing meeples/score count on bar, when avatars are minimized.
    Game is now fully playable like that, and for me, that approximately 1cm more of view space is worth of fortune. At least on iPhone screen (iPad screen is another story)
    Anyhow, I want to share this here, because I did not find this in official update statements.

3. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    I like it too, but I wish they showed it in Solitaire mode as well.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Exactly, Hunters and Gatherers was a standalone game so it was a spinoff and not one of the expansions. It had its own seperate set of tiles.

Likely expansions are probably going to be some of the more popular ones that were put into the Big Box 2 collection:

The River
    Traders and Builders
    Inns and Cathedrals
    The Princess and the Dragon
    Abbey and Mayor

Don't forget that the devs. said they are first working on the iPad version to make the app universal then they will be adding expansions as In App Purchases. Don't get too excited until we at least have the Universal Update. ;)

These are a few of the neat things I noticed about the new update and I love them. I also noticed the graphical glitches that use to happen with the volume sliders seems to be gone now.

5. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Try to start a game with Egoyan but I cannot start after I am notifyed he has joined the game. Then Egoyan sends me an invitation, I am notified but I cannot see his! I have updated to the latest version and I suppose the other side has also.

What gives? Is it a bug or something?

6. Egoyan

Egoyan Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Beijing/Montréal
    Just confirming that I have indeed also updated to the latest version, and that we tried to start a game three or four times without success. I've played a few games with other people since updating, and they've all worked out well.

We unfortunately had to give up in the end...

7. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    My personal preference would be to get the expansions first. I play this on my iPad all the time, and it already looks great even though it is pixel doubled.

I hope that when the developers do the expantions, they have an option to get all the current at future ones at once. I would rather pay $5 and get a bunch then $1 each and have to pick and choose.

8. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I agree, I played it on my friends iPad and it looked great when doubled. It would be great to ge the expansions first but I guess they already have their priorities sorted out.

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    remember that they stated that once the game went universal the price would go up to 9.99.

I'm sure they want to make it universal so the perceived value is higher and they can raise their price. Once the expansions roll out and more people will be interested in the game and buying it at the higher price which isn't a bad idea from their stand point.

10. Mistrya

Mistrya Member

Jun 7, 2010
    #410 Mistrya, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
    Dunno for you guys but in mater of GUI only thing i found irritating is that tool bar in right upper corner...I truly thing it's unnecessary way too big, specially for iPhone screen.
    If anyone knows how to forward this image to developers i would be grateful.
    Maybe they will listen and make it smaller or even to pop up like one on the bottom...in my example, all buttons and numbers remains in the same size (for touch compatibility) only smaller things are the tile piece preview (which is enough visible anyhow) and bar itself.

Tell me what you guys thing about this?

11. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I think the current size is just fine especially considering you can zoom in and out of the playing area easily.

My friend has said to me though that he would like it if players had the option to put the area with the current tile, settings and other options on the left side of the screen since he is left handed. I don't think it would require much work.

12. Mistrya

Mistrya Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Well, yes you can zoom in/out but either way there is always need to scroll around a bit, and I think it can be minimized with more view space (high zoom outs are also not that pretty) so for me that approximately 7mm more of space is equal to one more full raw of tiles visible on playable zoom level.

That left handed thing is also interesting. I found this game very playable with two tumbs only, just like it's some dual stick shooter or something ;)

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I realized no one posted this but if you have Carcassone make sure to open the Letter icon on the bottom left to get news and a special link that unlocks Frank from "The Incident". He's a tough opponent and has a special 8bit tile set which is pretty cool

14. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Thanks for the tip thats kind of neat. I can't wait for the iPad update though!

15. Egoyan

Egoyan Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Beijing/Montréal
    Cool tip VeganTnT, I hadn't even noticed. I'll try playing him as soon as I get my hands on my iPod. Even though I'm not really sure who Frank from The Incident is... :eek:

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    As soon as you get your ipod check the appstore. The Incident is one of the featured games ;)

17. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

:eek:

18. Egoyan

Egoyan Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Beijing/Montréal
    Oh! Hah. Now I feel like an ass. I guess I just play too much Carcassonne... Time to look around that App Store for a while so I never say something like that again.

Sorry if I offended you, ataloss! :p

19. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

hahaha.. no, not at all. Just a little surprised! Now, go be a good boy and pick up "The Incident".. and all is forgiven... [​IMG]

20. 1bitpaw

1bitpaw Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    USA
    Hey guys, I restored my ipod and my Carcassonne data was wiped (expected to happen).
    So the game prompts me to register an online account and cleverly pops out a button "That's me!" when I enter my nickname. Afterwards it supposedly sends an email to you to restore your account and online games.. however its been around two days and no email has arrived. Any ideas?