Universal Carcassonne - 2011 TouchArcade GOTY Runner Up! [Expansion Packs Out]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    You don't really need a long tutorial. It's the kind of game where there's a lot of depth of strategy, but not a ton of rules. You can jump in and play pretty quickly, but the way you play will change over time.

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Thanks for letting me know, Gek. I hadn't gotten that from the video. This is kind of a no-brainer for 5 bucks (assuming everything is well implemented), particularly since I hope to get an iPad eventually.

3. heathenpoet

heathenpoet Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    lol :D

OK, I thought of a couple of feedback points - very small though...

1. If you're in chat while the other person plays their move it's hard to know which tile was just placed. It'd be good if there was a way of indicating the last tile, perhaps with the press of a button, or perhaps it's slightly highlighted or something?

2. It'd be nice to be able to add people by username, or just immediately after a game with an + button (as it seems to be only by email? I didn't realise and just lost someone I'd've liked to add!)

3. It might be nice to have a few options for game style - like, if you don't want a game to end up with the other person leaving and then it becoming a long push-notified affair, it'd be good to have the option to commit to a full, live game (with a penalty for quitting). If that makes sense?

That's my only thoughts so far. And they're really very insignificant points, I'm still in love with this app!

4. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    How do you play a push game? I was playing a mp game earlier and had to go, so paused it and left.

When I came back to play my turn later, it said i had lost because i ran out of time.

I thought i could just play my move later and the other player would get a push notification??

5. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    #105 legowiz, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
    I was a little hesitant to get this because of the price tag, but I weighed the costs: the fact that the actual game is like $30 and that I absolutely love Carcassonne. I decided to buy it, and I love it! It was so beautifully put together and works almost flawlessly. I have noticed that it has frozen a couple times when trying to place a piece, but it's a minor problem and won't affect how much I play. I am really looking forward to the new piece packs as I loved the hunters and gatherers version the best, but I would easily pay money for the extra extensions, it's just that good. One thing that confused me at first though was the fact that you had to go into local play in order to start a regular game against the computer. I thought that it was multiplayer at first and it took me a few minutes to realize that it was also for the regular game as well. Also, I don't really like the icon, I think it would look much better if it were the "C" in the title of the game with the design behind it from the original board game, I personally think it would look cooler. Again, it's a very minor complaint but might be an issue for other people, or I might just be a little dense, idk. Anyways, awesome game, love it! keep up the good work devs and hurry up with those expansion packs :D

6. DeepCrow

DeepCrow New Member

Jun 4, 2010
    #106 DeepCrow, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
    Comparison shots of Carcassonne on iPad. Actually playable on the iPad, first iPhone game that I can say that about.

Click for full sized pictures.
    Running at 1x:
    [​IMG]

Running at 2x:
    [​IMG]

Simulation of what it would like simply pixel doubled like most apps:
    [​IMG]

(I sent these in to the tips account as well)

7. heathenpoet

Oct 15, 2009
    Hmm, I'm not really sure then. I was mid-game and my opponents time ran out so I had to pause it and leave. It now seems to be listed as a game in-progress, so I guess at some point they take their move and I get a notification. Maybe it's 60s from when you fire the game back up again.

8. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Each player's last piece is highlighted in their color.

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Color me confused, Deep Crow, are you saying that they did a really smooth job with the 2X or you think they should have done it differently? I personally think it looks pretty sharp on the iPad as is (although I hope once they make the iPad native version they'll allow us to see more of the map at once and not simply stick to a smooth rescale).

10. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Okay, posting this again.

Can you combine local network play (bluetooth) with pass-and-play? So, for example, could four people play the game on two iDevices, with two people on each device?

11. heathenpoet

Oct 15, 2009
    Oh! Thanks!!

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    If no one answered it the first time it's probably because they don't have 2 ipads to test it out for you. Why don't you try emailing the devs or sending them a tweet?

13. DeepCrow

DeepCrow New Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Sorry, I think they did a fantastic job with the resolution independence. Looks great on the iPad at 2x, first iPhone game I've found that is playable on the iPad. Just wanted to show what could have been had the developers not done such a fantastic job to highlight their work.

14. sidewinder12s

sidewinder12s Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Student
    USA
    Well I tried the Java Carcassonne game, its still up give it a google search. I liked it so I gave in an bought it. Lets see how it is..

15. majormauser

majormauser Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    The only thing that I can find distracting about this overwhelmingly great version of the game is the Meeple graphics ... I would like to see a better more realistic 3D graphic.

16. efmchico

efmchico Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    I too am confused about multiplayer. I played a game last night where I ran out of time and it said that I lost because I took too much time, but then had some people take too much time and could just rejoin the game and it worked. Other than that, this is an excellent version of Carcassonne. Well worth the money.

17. Windburn

Windburn Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I haven't come across this yet, and I've had a few games already.
    I wonder if the developer can chime in and let us know what seems to be happening here. Is there a timer for multiplayer games, or is it truly asynchronous?

18. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    you can only play asynchonous if you play with "friends" that you add via email.

19. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    [email protected]

here is my email address. im confident that y'all will add me as a friend so we can play asynchronously hehehe. :D and im also (substantially) confident that i wont receive junk mail from y'all now that im posting my email for all to see. thanks guys.

20. efmchico

efmchico Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    #120 efmchico, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
    timer

Ok, that's good to know. So the timer is only for quick play and there is no timer if you play with friends.