Universal Card Wars - Adventure Time - (by Cartoon Network)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

How many of you guys who are mad as hell at a timer have played the game to see how it impacts gameplay?

2. KillerSpecialK

KillerSpecialK Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Midwest
    This. A similar card game like this that had timers didn't effect gameplay at all unless you were absolutly terrible or insisted for playing more than 2 hours at a time. While that game ended up being garbage due to slowdowns after an update tht have yet to be fixed, hopefully this wont. I will be buying ASAP. Love Adventure Time and will be purchasing the real deck when it comes out on the 19th.

Cannot wait to floop the pig.

3. reelweezerfish

Jul 4, 2012
    Is there any multiplayer over the internet?

4. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I love adventure time, I'll be picking this up tonight.

5. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Unless timers suddenly add a positive aspect to gaming, developers are going to make their games fair target simply from having timers included. After all, if the timers are extremely intrusive, the negative reactions will prove warranted. If, however, the timers do little to impede enjoyment of the game, the question will remain why they exist in the game in the first place.

6. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Or just multiplayer at all? That's a huge plus for me

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Right but unless you specifically have experience with it or someone who does chimes in, this seems like the typical hating timers for the sake of hating timers which is about as tiresome as the same people who must make it known that they hate virtual controls in every vaguely related thread.

8. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Keith83 posted about it and it was enough of a red flag to dissuade me. I don't need another potential money-pit sucking my money when I could avoid it entirely at the outset. I'm taking my money elsewhere.

9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    So what's the good aspect about timers in a PAID app? I'm missing the positive reinforcement. And going by the video there's only 5 hearts before you run out. Watching the video (which is quite long), will tell you a lot about the game without even owning it. I'll be getting this game because I like the original game idea but 99.9% gonna tell you that the timers are bad. I've never heard of a "good timer." The only reason they exist is to make you spend money or else there'd be no reason to put them in. Expect my impressions tonight. Maybe Flappy Birds needs timers so they'll stop the addiction.. oh wait.. it'd just make people spend more money to feed the addiction.

10. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Well, hopefully game developers stop using timers and the problem will be solved...

11. KillerSpecialK

Jul 7, 2013
    Midwest
    Well, I watched Sanukus video and it seems the timer isn't too bad, as long as it gives you a way to earn hearts in game. Kinda disappointing, but I will be buying anyway.

I don't ever let games like this nickel and dime me, but when I do, it's cause I love Adventure Time.

After I found out about this a week ago, I knew I would be spending money on IAP. So I'm not as butthurt as others.

12. abodi

abodi Active Member

Feb 1, 2011
    For everyone's benefit This wasn't that out of the blue. There is a physical card game being launched at the same time.

The physical game actually comes with a code for the iOS version too

13. UpperClassWalrus

UpperClassWalrus Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Game Developer
    Adelaide, Australia
    A lot of times the timer mechanics have two different design impacts. The first one, and the one that everyone goes on about is to get some small amount of money out of the players when they get annoyed when they can't continue.

The second, which no one really looks into, is the fact that limiting the game play is one of the main reasons why these small games are so addictive. The short gameplay sessions mean anyone can pick up the game, play for a few minutes and put it back down when the timers kick in. Limiting the length of the gameplay session drives the want and need to come back to the game at a later time to play again. This is especially true for mobile gaming, where the majority of players play these games on the toilet or during a train/bus ride.

At the moment mobile gaming is 100% about user retention. Which kinda sucks, because I'd love it to shift more towards user interaction and enjoyment.

14. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Pulled from the Store guys?

15. KillerSpecialK

Jul 7, 2013
    Midwest
    Pulled from the NZ App Store?! Dob glob it!

And the code in the physical card game isn't for a free copy if the app, it's for special perks for inside the app. What exactly, I do not know. Most likely special cards.

16. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Still available in Aus store.

Timers are never good, end of story.,

17. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I think the main problem is, the timers are an artificial way of making a game addictive without actually putting much depth into a game's designs. There certainly are plenty of games that keep players attentions through interesting gameplay rather than forced timers. Thus timers now tend to invoke an especially negative connotation in the realm of mobile games. Players tend immediately associate timers with a shallow game design aimed at quick profits over player enjoyment, often with good reason.

The simple fact is, if a game has to prevent players from playing to keep them interested, it probably is not that great of a game. A sign of a good game is allowing players to play as much or as little as they want, and they come back because they enjoy the gameplay, not because they have to if they want to get anything out of the game.

All this isn't to say games with timers are automatically bad, as timers have plenty of different implementations, some far less intrusive than others. However, the inclusion of any timer offers no benefit to the players, and thus ultimately taints a game regardless of the degree to which it exploits consumers.

18. ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady Member

Jun 4, 2013
    My initial reaction to timers included in a paid app is not positive. After watching the video it almost seems as if they were included as a joke. Like a game will take about 15 minutes to play. The game looks pretty cool.

19. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    On italian Store the game is no more available! Why?

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

#40 Eli, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Played the game for an entire hour on stream, never hit a pay wall and my progress was never stopped.

Additionally, it basically barfs cards at you and you can craft "premium" cards from lesser crappy cards, so no reason to buy anything there either.